Why did bluenote die?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Can someone please answer this question. What happened to Bluenote?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"... because those godless commie liberals pulled the plug ((sniff)) ..."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Can someone please answer this question. What happened to Bluenote?

Do the Math.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    But seriously. Its hard to count the number of classics Blute Note has put out. People say when Francis Wolfe died it all went to shit.

Also another theory I have heard was that the mizel bros started it. Before you start hatin, I never said I agreed. I fucking love the Mizel Bros work, most of the shit is but people said they pushed Blue Note into the mainstream map. I dont have enough knowledge on the subject to comment on this so I just dont know about that. But I am NOT dissin either of the dudes work. I really digg that schitt.

So what's your real question then?
    Why did they adapt w/ the times?
    Or why dont they produce Jazz like the 50/60's era anymore?

U figure there was a single point where they shifted gears, shedding their previous skin.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I thought you meant Bluenote[/b] as in the nightclub. You mean Blue Note[/b] the label.

Considering EMI has been purchased, I'm curious to see what will happen to Blue Note now. For a few years, Blue Note did not exist and when they did come back, they ended up releasing War's Platinum Jazz[/b], which at the time became their biggest seller.

If anyone avoided the work on the label in the last 10 years which lead to any level of mainstream success, they released a lot of great material. But Norah Jones made someone at the label say "let's focus on vocal-based artists even more, and kick everyone off of the roster", which isn't good. Cassandra Wilson should have massive sales, but I guess she doesn't want to bow down to catering to "younger tastes". Someone like Norah Jones is easy to market because she's young, has a youthful voice, and looks like a lot of the people ad agencies use to sell product. I know there will be a time when Norah Jones will move on to another label, and perhaps she will continue to grow and hook up with her homeboy, Willie Nelson.

Now let's see if and when Daru Oda does an album.

Bluenote shifted with the times well. From what I have heard from the souljazzy/funkjazz era with the mizels they did a fucking great job. Im just wondering why they cant adapt with the times now? They have maybe one or two artists that can but just not like before. Look at it like this. When people thought of jazz they wouldnt dream of it being mixed with disco and funk and letting people like donald byrd be "hip". They tried to pull off the hip-hop jazz thing but it didnt work.I just want to know what happened to them?

Bluenote shifted with the times well. From what I have heard from the souljazzy/funkjazz era with the mizels they did a fucking great job. Im just wondering why they cant adapt with the times now? They have maybe one or two artists that can but just not like before. Look at it like this. When people thought of jazz they wouldnt dream of it being mixed with disco and funk and letting people like donald byrd be "hip". They tried to pull off the hip-hop jazz thing but it didnt work.I just want to know what happened to them?

Lite - Fm Jazz is the times NOW. Hardcore Funk/Jazz/70's/Breakbeaty isnt a money maker. What would u like to see them promote?

Id like them to promote people like amon tobin, kid koala, let madlib work with other artists and some jazz musicians, dj day and so on. People from Mpm would do good there. I didnt appreciate that new mark moulin album either . But seriously, they just casted the wrong people. They should be casting the new wave jazz/funk/soul influenced artists that are not sucking.

Id like them to promote people like amon tobin, kid koala, let madlib work with other artists and some jazz musicians, dj day and so on. People from Mpm would do good there. I didnt appreciate that new mark moulin album either . But seriously, they just casted the wrong people. They should be casting the new wave jazz/funk/soul influenced artists that are not sucking.

They could add some "hiphopiddy" acts to the label,but what radio station is playin that? Why does BlueNote have to gravitate towards that crowd when they have the old folks on lock. There's other labels for the stuff "you" think they should promote. Why would they try to shift demographics? Unless they do some BlueNote Alt label.

Because they tried to keep up with the times and it worked back then, its just ait workin now. They should def have a blue note alt label where they promote underground jazz-influenced acts that would only be played on some radio statios, you know, just to keep up their reputation. Then they should have a mainstream company who plays all that soft Fm radio bs like Norah Jones. Would you agree with that? Bluenote had such a solid rep. They need to keep there name up. Shit today would not do justice to Francais Wolf, dude would be crying in his grave.

Because they tried to keep up with the times and it worked back then, its just ait workin now. They should def have a blue note alt label where they promote underground jazz-influenced acts that would only be played on some radio statios, you know, just to keep up their reputation. Then they should have a mainstream company who plays all that soft Fm radio bs like Norah Jones. Would you agree with that? Bluenote had such a solid rep. They need to keep there name up. Shit today would not do justice to Francais Wolf, dude would be crying in his grave.

I disagree w/ u. Their reputation is w/ the Newport Jazz Fest crowd. Why should they try to reinvent themselves for the demograph that doesnt even purchase CD's anymore?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

the internet is abound with worthless oppinions and here is mine: maybe you would have a better perspective on music and life if you read more and posted less. your half-baked theories and questions have run their course. i come from canada and i used to be a slightly awkward teen myself who looked to others for approbation so i am saying this without malice: please chill out.

the internet is abound with worthless oppinions and here is mine: maybe you would have a better perspective on music and life if you read more and posted less. your half-baked theories and questions have run their course. i come from canada and i used to be a slightly awkward teen myself who looked to others for approbation so i am saying this without malice: please chill out.

Ur being mean.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Dude, you are projecting like crazy. Just because you[/b] feel that they should put out "underground jazz acts" to "keep up their reputation" (a reputation which you[/b] are being the moral quantifier) doesn't mean it will benefit them[/b]. A label isn't out there to do nice things like spread beautiful music. A label is out there to make money. Sometimes making beautiful music results in making money like the early bluenote days, and other times it doesn't like now.

I hate to break it to you, dude, but your opinion on contemporary music is worthless. You spend your time listening to music made 30 years ago. That shit will not fly in todays market. For whatever reason, people don't want to hear that shit anymore and you have to learn to deal.

I recommend purchasing Erykah Badu - World Wide Underground and watching your life world collapse.

And I agree with whoever recommend you slow down on the posting. You have to start thinking about "how does this post benefit the soulstrut community" instead of how it solely benefits you[/b].

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I was doing a search for a mastering engineer, and one of them is "remastering" a new Blue Note Breaks[/b] package. But in this case, it's a package for iTunes.

Think about that, someone remastering tracks for MP3's. To me, that sounds like "I'm thinking about being a vegetarian so I can eat and be healthier, and perhaps fit in that leather pants that I've had my eye on for years."

Well, the Madlib Remixes Blue Note is an example of Bleu Note reaching out.

Loc: SoulOnIce = Not Black

I don't know what your hard-on for me is all about,
    but you should really drop it. You riding my leg like
    an undersexed lapdog is just a pathetic look.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ------

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    You have to start thinking about "how does this post benefit the soulstrut community" instead of how it solely benefits you[/b].

, but the kid aint listening though.

- spidey

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    You have to start thinking about "how does this post benefit the soulstrut community" instead of how it solely benefits you[/b].
    But that's the antithesis of The Postman!
    Seriously, why hasn't this kid been banned yet?
    Regurgitating weird shit from the internet does not a sense of humor make.
    Plus attacking cats like SoulOnIce, a person who actually adds a lot to the board and has taste, is just a very bad look.
    Please go to Stones Throw or The-Breaks or Ughh please. They???ll love you.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wolfe and Van Gelder had a vision. They made great records in the 50s and 60s. In the 70s things changed and they were there. Then they were gone and with them the vision. They were gone for a long time. Then people said they were great. Then EMI said people are saying this thing we own but aren't doing anything with is great. Lets put out some new things that would be hard to market and call them Blue Note. That way people who think Blue Note is great will buy them. Yes! Great idea, I've got another one. Lets take a lot of stuff we aren't doing anything with like instrumental groups from other labels we bought and rerelease them, but call them Blue Note. Great idea! I have another one. Let's get people today to remake old songs from our catalog and resell them as Blue Note. That will work. People think any thing on Blue Note is great. Uh Oh! What? Superpoaster is starting to catch on.

Thanks for that, thats really all I wanted to know.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    WOW/
    someone sounds butt-hurt!!!
    what did you do to this poptart, soi, he sounds hella burned?

yo dude i got soem asshurt medicaton just for this. It removes all hella burns. Email me if you want it, but youll have to trade it for brown rice by don cherry.

Dewd. I can get you know cream! Im serious man. You wont be soo asshurt anymore. Look at me man, I wasnt even asshurt after the sergio mendes because I used it. I think youll need some. Ill give you some for free, how about that?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Are these 2 clowns for real? Are they somebody's alterego?

I have a strong feeling that walking_soap is our
    old friend "mojo_workin'" but don't know for sure.
    Or care, for that matter. I'm too busy lamenting the
    fact that I wasn't born Black, don't you know.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I have a strong feeling that walking_soap is our
    old friend "mojo_workin'" but don't know for sure.
    Or care, for that matter. I'm too busy lamenting the
    fact that I wasn't born Black, don't you know.

I have to think they're the same kid. There can't be two people in the world that spell "more" as "moar".