McDonald's as a "Career"

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Discuss

Comments

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Why knock the hustle, I guess.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anybody catch that commercial w/ the girl who moves from fries to checkout line to manager to franchise owner? She sports all these fly uniforms for each position she holds. I,ve never seen a canary yellow or a lime green MickyD's outfit...ever.

I wonder what's the yearly salary of a franchise owner?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    my friend put himself thru college[stonybrook] working there
    i always felt bad for him
    i'd rather dig ditches

yuichi -what was your og screen name? was it always yuichi?

peace

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm going to the Rangers-Red Sox game today with a friend who's Father started as a Fry Cook and worked his way up to Senior VP and retired from McDonalds at 55 a multi-millionaire.

The last 5 years of his job consisted of co-ordinating the McDonald's High School All-American Basketball Game.

Obviously this was the exception rather than the rule, but if you are ambitious, work hard and know how to handle yourself you can do well and advance at just about any job.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Obviously this was the exception rather than the rule, but if you are ambitious, work hard and know how to handle yourself you can do well and advance at just about any job.

Solid advice right there. I saw this human interest story on the local news (San Fernando Valley / L.A. area) about a month ago about this Staters' Bros. cashier who is a 100 year old woman and has arrived on time almost all the time for the last 75 years by choice and has loved every minute of it. People have different paths, I guess.

Solid advice right there. I saw this human interest story on the local news (San Fernando Valley / L.A. area) about a month ago about this Staters' Bros. cashier who is a 100 year old woman and has arrived on time almost all the time for the last 75 years by choice and has loved every minute of it. People have different paths, I guess.

Enjoying what you're doing is the key.

The biggest problem I see with college students today is that they have unrealistic expectations, usually fostered by their Teachers and Schools, as to what salary they should expect to make when they graduate and enter the work force.

The schools have to justify their high tuitions and do so with tales of first jobs that pay from $60K - $100K.......again, these are the exceptions, not the rule.

My daughter who is a Junior at NTSU is just realizing this and is pretty disappointed.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My Grandmother and Uncle got one of the very first McDonald's franchises in the early 60s. They went to hamburger University with Ray Krok. Unfortunately, McDs was not the engine it is today. The company picked the wrong location and the business ended up folding. Still, we got early McDs raers like OG soda cups and shit.

Enjoying what you're doing is the key.

The biggest problem I see with college students today is that they have unrealistic expectations, usually fostered by their Teachers and Schools, as to what salary they should expect to make when they graduate and enter the work force.

The schools have to justify their high tuitions and do so with tales of first jobs that pay from $60K - $100K.......again, these are the exceptions, not the rule.

My daughter who is a Junior at NTSU is just realizing this and is pretty disappointed.

A Degree doesnt amount to instant employment.

Back to McDonalds.......

With the "Foodie" revolution going on and normal folks gaining more info about food, I wonder if McDonalds will change w/ the times? Fast food will always exist in some form but people are starting to demand more.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My uncle owns a few Burger King franchises in SF and he makes his two teenage sons work at them, so in a sense they--as future owners/heirs of fast food franchises--started their careers at the bottom.

Back to McDonalds.......

With the "Foodie" revolution going on and normal folks gaining more info about food, I wonder if McDonalds will change w/ the times? Fast food will always exist in some form but people are starting to demand more.

I think it's already happening....McDonald's owns Chipotle(Which is big in the Southwest) and the "new wave" of fast food down here in Tejas include places like Pei Wei(owned by P.F. Chang) and Quizno's.......not necessarily better/healthier, but definitely a step away from the old "Burger/Fries" model.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    mcdonalds sold all of their chipotle shares in late 06 i believe

What is "Special Sauce"?

Mayo & Ketchup or Mustard/Ketchup?

Back in the day I knew kids who worked at McDonalds, but now I dont see kids even going that route for a summer job/after school/etc. In my hood its mostly children of immigrants.

I think that's right.....don't they also own Boston Market??

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I respect all folk who work at fast food joints, just to be able to work there is an accomplishment. Kids could go to Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target, but choose fast food establishments are a special species.

Any yall' got Chick-fil-A in your area? Fastest service ever with a christianity appeal.

Kids could go to Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target, but choose fast food establishments are a special species.

Ones that dont want benefits & unionization.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The guy who opened and managed the very first McDonald's in the UK (in Croydon) is now the head of McDonald's Corp UK.

McDonald's should crate a music label ala Starbucks.

• Options
    My uncle owns a few Burger King franchises in SF and he makes his two teenage sons work at them, so in a sense they--as future owners/heirs of fast food franchises--started their careers at the bottom.

A kid I went to high school with was in the same situation. HIs dad owned 5 McDonalds franchises, I lost touch with him right after high school, but last I heard of him he was running one of them on his own.

12 years ago an Outback Steakhouse opened in my town. A bunch of people I knew got jobs there, and most moved on to something else after awhile except for 3 of them. They stayed on, and now all 3 are GM's running their own restaurants for the same guy who owns something like 40 of them. All 3 are 31 too, they're doing pretty good for themselves. None of them went to college. One of them almost left, he was going to move to NCarolina and interviewed with another restaurant chain down there, I forget which one. They were going to put him in charge of 5 restaurants right off the bat.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

A kid I went to high school with was in the same situation. HIs dad owned 5 McDonalds franchises, I lost touch with him right after high school, but last I heard of him he was running one of them on his own.

12 years ago an Outback Steakhouse opened in my town. A bunch of people I knew got jobs there, and most moved on to something else after awhile except for 3 of them. They stayed on, and now all 3 are GM's running their own restaurants for the same guy who owns something like 40 of them. All 3 are 31 too, they're doing pretty good for themselves. None of them went to college. One of them almost left, he was going to move to NCarolina and interviewed with another restaurant chain down there, I forget which one. They were going to put him in charge of 5 restaurants right off the bat.

Managing Restaurant, plus working 70 to 80hrs/week is not fun, the money is great but who wants to run around in a 3000sqft bldg all your life. Except you do get to see or hire the new crop of waitresses.

I find this shit hilarious.....

Jack in the Box Ads Called Misleading
    Competitor Sues Jack in the Box Over TV Spots Mocking Burger MeatThe Associated Press By GARY GENTILE AP Business Writer
    LOS ANGELES May 25, 2007 (AP)
    The parent company of the Carl's Jr. and Hardee's fast food chains sued rival Jack In The Box Inc. on Friday to stop TV ads that it says suggest Carl's Jr. and Hardee's use cow anus to make Angus beef hamburgers.

CKE Restaurants Inc. sued Jack In The Box in U.S. District Court on Friday over an ad in which executives laugh hysterically at the word "Angus" and another where the chain's pingpong ball-headed mascot, Jack, is asked to point to a diagram of a cow and show where Angus meat comes from.

"I'd rather not," the pointy-nosed Jack replies.

The employee asking the question traces a circle in the air with his pen while pronouncing the word Angus.

• AreDoubleAreDouble 124 Posts

Kinda glad to hear this. I've been vegan for a bit over 8 years now and it's only been fairly recently that I'll go into fast food joints. Avoided them for a variety of ethical reasons. McDonalds, whether fair or not, always represented the largest evil empire so at some level it would be nice to know that Chipotle is owned by a "kinder" company (yeah right). The one time I ate there it seemed like the closest thing in quality to this place called Pancheros and was cheaper at the time. Not anymore from what I gather . . . Is there a chief shareholder?

As far as the whole McDonalds vs Best Buy, Target, etc. thing-- I think it's often a question of necessity. From what I understand, McDonalds is one of the fastest places to get back to you upon turning in an application. This (at the time) militant vegan cat I knew worked at a McDonalds because it was the only place to get back to him-- within two weeks no less-- after he got out of jail.

And yeah, a degree is little guarantee of employment. An undergrad degree, it seems, makes one about as employable as a highschool diploma did 10 years ago. Trying to guauge which, if either, is more salient -- the economy taking a nosedive under this admin or employers raising the bar for largely unrelated reasons. Can't call it.

I find this shit hilarious.....

Jack in the Box Ads Called Misleading
    Competitor Sues Jack in the Box Over TV Spots Mocking Burger MeatThe Associated Press By GARY GENTILE AP Business Writer
    LOS ANGELES May 25, 2007 (AP)
    The parent company of the Carl's Jr. and Hardee's fast food chains sued rival Jack In The Box Inc. on Friday to stop TV ads that it says suggest Carl's Jr. and Hardee's use cow anus to make Angus beef hamburgers.

CKE Restaurants Inc. sued Jack In The Box in U.S. District Court on Friday over an ad in which executives laugh hysterically at the word "Angus" and another where the chain's pingpong ball-headed mascot, Jack, is asked to point to a diagram of a cow and show where Angus meat comes from.

"I'd rather not," the pointy-nosed Jack replies.

The employee asking the question traces a circle in the air with his pen while pronouncing the word Angus.

How can a Fastfood chain really get Angus meat to all their chains.
    That's some real bullshit. The price of Beef just went up.

• Options

Kinda glad to hear this. I've been vegan for a bit over 8 years now and it's only been fairly recently that I'll go into fast food joints. Avoided them for a variety of ethical reasons. McDonalds, whether fair or not, always represented the largest evil empire so at some level it would be nice to know that Chipotle is owned by a "kinder" company (yeah right). The one time I ate there it seemed like the closest thing in quality to this place called Pancheros and was cheaper at the time. Not anymore from what I gather . . . Is there a chief shareholder?

Chipotle's major shareowners...

Someone named Steve Ells (CEO maybe, I didn't look too hard) has 2.3% of the shares, he's the largest individual direct holder. Fidelity has 8%.

• AreDoubleAreDouble 124 Posts

Chipotle's major shareowners...

Someone named Steve Ells (CEO maybe, I didn't look too hard) has 2.3% of the shares, he's the largest individual direct holder. Fidelity has 8%.

Thanks.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    my friend put himself thru college[stonybrook] working there
    i always felt bad for him
    i'd rather dig ditches

yuichi -what was your og screen name? was it always yuichi?

peace

Yes sir, it was, always will be, one of the noncontributing OGs of this board.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Nice to hear all of these success stories.

Rock, good advice about finding something you like to do. Shi-t, I'm working towards a CPA license, and it's kinda like my back-up plan. If nothing else, I hope I can do that. Still need to find something that incorporates my personality/interests as I've always kept work/play separate.

Recently, I met a girl that didn't care about high pay. She wanted to become a nurse and help people in Cambodia. It's rare that I meet people like that and I found her very attractive partially because of that reason.