hiphop/record-related mysteries/urban legends

wznwzn 16 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
What are some hiphop/record-related mysteries and urban legends? Something like the mardi grass 12" without the bells or similar stories.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The Blowout Comb LP mistake issue w/out vocals. Alternatively titled "He's Coming."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Blowout Comb LP mistake issue w/out vocals. Alternatively titled "He's Coming."

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

SIGNED OG BABY HUEY

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Okay, this one has bugged me for years....

Who in the hell was wearing the Eazy mask at the end of the "100 Miles & Runnin'" video?!?! It looks like Yella but it's not.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i always wondered where all the rumors about erick sermon being gay came from...
    was there a particluar incident i never heard of? i do remember him jumping off a building in an attempted suicide a few years back and the label covering it up saying that he got in a car accident... buti don't think that was in any way related to the thing...

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts

SIGNED OG BABY HUEY

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    nyc radio, in particular wendy williams has been saying that for years.

White cover Combo Xingu sophomore effort. Prove it.

White Label unreleased JB's album on people. Let's see it.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4025363131

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

It blows my mind that this went for just $1600, when dudes will drop $700 on a Beatles butcher cover for music they can find in the dollar bin.

jesus I would have fought for that. "everybody plays the fool" .. wow.

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    This might be a late pass, but what about George Benson on the cover of the Harlem Underground Band and claims he was not on that LP...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i do remember him jumping off a building in an attempted suicide a few years back and the label covering it up saying that he got in a car accident... buti don't think that was in any way related to the thing...

You're thinking of Johnny Davis.

And that was no accident. Arrow Brown has had a posse.

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    i always wondered where all the rumors about erick sermon being gay came from...
    was there a particluar incident i never heard of? i do remember him jumping off a building in an attempted suicide a few years back and the label covering it up saying that he got in a car accident... buti don't think that was in any way related to the thing...

nah you have it a little wrong. He fell out a window and get fucked up. It wasn't any suicide though. There was never anything about a car accident. I don't know where you heard that? Basicly he fell out a window and everyone admitted that much. That's as far as anyone ever spoke on it. Rumors were he was at girls house and her man showed up. E was about to get killed so he jumped out the window. Pretty much everyone has said that's happened without ever saying that's what happened. Wierd incident though.

another myth????? (Nas talked about in some mag from Europe YEARS ago... he said before he did his album when he was rolling with Large Pro to G Rap sessions he gave Eric B a 7 song demo tape. Never heard about what it was but i remember him saying it wasn't villain or any of that stuff. I'd kill for that it's real.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    from wikipedia [i know... it's wikipedia, but i've read this elsewhere as well]:

On September 25th, 2001, Sermon reportedly sustained numerous head injuries and was listed under critical condition in what J Records representatives said was a car accident. However, days later, a woman reported that Erick was with her in her apartment when she discovered him in a Paterson, N.J. parking lot bleeding from the head. The police investigated the incident as a suicide attempt, while J Records claimed that he had been in a car accident when he was driving home from a video shoot. However, in the song "Relentless", Sermon raps that "Me, Superman, I fell from the window".

or here:

http://sohh.com/articles/article.php/3037

there were plenty of cases of them trying to cover it up as a car accident... it was weird. i doubt he just "fell from the window"...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    from wikipedia [i know... it's wikipedia, but i've read this elsewhere as well]:

On September 25th, 2001, Sermon reportedly sustained numerous head injuries and was listed under critical condition in what J Records representatives said was a car accident. However, days later, a woman reported that Erick was with her in her apartment when she discovered him in a Paterson, N.J. parking lot bleeding from the head. The police investigated the incident as a suicide attempt, while J Records claimed that he had been in a car accident when he was driving home from a video shoot. However, in the song "Relentless", Sermon raps that "Me, Superman, I fell from the window".

or here:

http://sohh.com/articles/article.php/3037

there were plenty of cases of them trying to cover it up as a car accident... it was weird. i doubt he just "fell from the window"...

I heard the real cover up was that he was in that apartment with a dude.
    Real urban legends never die.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Here is a "record related" myth that needs de-bunking........

Who's Little Brother is SuperPoaster??

And He still doesn't know that the real Sergio Mendes to be on the lookout for is:

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Oh and another one that comes to mind is the

Ohio Players 'Roller Coaster' Murder Mystery Scream.

They let it ( the story ) slide so they could sell more records, or so it goes.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This might be a late pass, but what about George Benson on the cover of the Harlem Underground Band and claims he was not on that LP...

It made me happy to hear Benson say he was not on HUB. None of the guitars on HUB sound anything like Benson's distinctive style.

It blows my mind that this went for just $1600, when dudes will drop $20,000[/b] on a Beatles butcher cover for music they can find in the dollar bin.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

fanclub

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

SIGNED OG BABY HUEY

My OG Baby Huey, which I got in chicago, is autographed by somebody called "Baby". Will post pics when I get back from the NJ Shore.

SIGNED OG BABY HUEY

My OG Baby Huey, which I got in chicago, is autographed by somebody called "Baby". Will post pics when I get back from the NJ Shore.

So these mid county guys are in shop asking about the value of records. "What about an autographed copy of Pearl signed by Jani Joplin?" "She died before the record came out." "Yeah? I have an autographed copy." "OK." "How much is it worth?" "I don't know, I don't buy autographs." "But how much is it worth?" "I don't know." "A lot?"....

• earthingsearthings 78 Posts
    I remember that K in Canada guy saying he has a Caribbean (Trinidad or Barbados, I forgot what exactly) pressing of the Invaders LP. Does such a thing really exist? Or was it just another lie?