Mingering Mike gallery opening in DC - June 2nd

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Just about all of Mike's stuff will be on display.I hope some of you guys can make it! Mike will be in the house signing books and mingering about.

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    YES! I WILL BE IN THE BUILDING AND MOST LIKELY FEELIN MYSELF.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    calender marked, see you there dude.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I have been looking for a good reason to get over to D.C. Hope to see ya'll there!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Hell yeah, I'm there!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Bring this to New York!

• Bring this to New York!

Workin on it!

If anyone has any ideas for venues please hollur. The tough part about showing the work is that galleries will want to sell the art, and we're not at that point just yet.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bring this to PORTLAND!

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    Bring this to PORTLAND!

if you are interested in bringing it to portland i'm sure my brother's gallery would host it, even sans sales of artworks. holler on the pm for contact info.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    [ The tough part about showing the work is that galleries will want to sell the art, and we're not at that point just yet.

Get some limited edition prints made, or better yet crack the whip and get Mike
    to do some new stuff. Original stuff for sale could go for big scratch if
    serious outsider art collectros took a fancy to him.

Making arrangements to be in the place on Saturday. Anybody know of something going on or trying to meet up in the early afternoon, give me a holler!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Bring this to Houston!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Making arrangements to be in the place on Saturday. Anybody know of something going on or trying to meet up in the early afternoon, give me a holler!

there's def an after party. people will have records and some other stuff.

• Nice, we're gonna have a good Soulstrut turnout!

• there's def an after party. people will have records and some other stuff.

Yep, after the show head over to Local 16 (1602 U Street NW). We'll take over the upstairs and throw down some fonk in celebration of Mingering. Feel free to bring some records - there are gonna be a bunch of us but we'll try to get everyone on there. Gonna keep it straight soul/funk, with some disco for good measure.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Bring this to LA!

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    there's def an after party. people will have records and some other stuff.

Yep, after the show head over to Local 16 (1602 U Street NW). We'll take over the upstairs and throw down some fonk in celebration of Mingering. Feel free to bring some records - there are gonna be a bunch of us but we'll try to get everyone on there. Gonna keep it straight soul/funk, with some disco for good measure.

Word, looking forward to checking out the artwork up close finally. Tom has been telling me how amazing it is..

I also need to make a trip back to Som, I got my jukebox up and runnin.. and it wants more 45???s

• As far as new york spots, have the people at your gallery talk to the American folk art museum in NY. Getting some of his work in their permanant collection would be a real good look. They are the people to do this shit there, and they will not be interested in selling the work, probablly just your books. Like most museums they've probably got a whole years schedule booked (at least) but you could get the ball rolling. The warhol in pittsburgh might be worth looking into too, they did a Darger exhibit last year- seems like it would be up their alley.

Matt

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Went to the opening last night and it was incredible. Mingering Mike was there in disguise as was Joseph War. Ian McKaye and his brother Alec dropped in. Secret Chimp's family turned out. DJ Pari and Fatback came up from Richmond. Great turnout and it was truly amazing to see all the covers on display at once. Afterwards we all DJed at Local 16 and actually had all the Beckys dancing to funk (on a Saturday) til they pulled the plug on us around 1AM.
    The show runs two months so if you're in DC you NEED to check it out:
    http://www.hemphillfinearts.com/ARTISTS/Minger_1.html
    (my store is only three blocks from the gallery so say hey if you come up/down)

Great show! The turnout was pretty heavy, too! Good too meet Fatback, noz, and everyone else who came through. I didn't expect to see so many people there. The best part about the show, for me, was talking to his eldest sister, who raised Mike and their other siblings. She said that she never gave Mike a hassle about what he was doing so meticulously when he was growing up and she was dumbfounded to see what all of that work and creativity amounted to.

We appreciate your efforts on this project, Dori. The show was really something special for his family and casual observers alike.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Went to the opening last night and it was incredible. Mingering Mike was there in disguise as was Joseph War. Ian McKaye and his brother Alec dropped in. Secret Chimp's family turned out. DJ Pari and Fatback came up from Richmond. Great turnout and it was truly amazing to see all the covers on display at once. Afterwards we all DJed at Local 16 and actually had all the Beckys dancing to funk (on a Saturday) til they pulled the plug on us around 1AM.
    The show runs two months so if you're in DC you NEED to check it out:
    http://www.hemphillfinearts.com/ARTISTS/Minger_1.html
    (my store is only three blocks from the gallery so say hey if come up/down)

Sorry to have missed y'all, but I will be stopping in this week. I was in Boston, just missing SoulOnIce in person, but enjoying his crafty radio show fill-in (which was great)while driving around Beantown and hitting nearly every record spot in the area he referred me to!(Big thanks, Ma**!)

Glad to hear the show went off well! I have said it many times, but I think we all need to thank Dori as often as we can for having the vision and patience and tenacity to ramp this whole crazy thing into something that so many people can be proud of! Props props props!!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yeah great work Dori, seeing the whole mingering catalog in person is completely mindblowing. Mike was killing it with the wig and shades. He signed my book "You're the best." There were many beautiful women in the building (i think i need to get a shave and a haircut and start making moves in the bougie dc art community. maybe take em to my $8000 a month columbia heights loft). it was also dope to finally meet the great drewnice. and babyfatback.

that's funny you guys were spinning at local 16. i forgot the name but remembered the location. when we got there we took one look and the crowd we were like "naah that can't be the place" and bounced. whoops.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Yeah great work Dori, seeing the whole mingering catalog in person is completely mindblowing. Mike was killing it with the wig and shades. He signed my book "You're the best." There were many beautiful women in the building (i think i need to get a shave and a haircut and start making moves in the bougie dc art community. maybe take em to my $8000 a month columbia heights loft). it was also dope to finally meet the great drewnice. and babyfatback.

that's funny you guys were spinning at local 16. i forgot the name but remembered the location. when we got there we took one look and the crowd we were like "naah that can't be the place" and bounced. whoops.

You were expecting all old people and crusty record dudes, right? Fatback and Neville_C have incredible female entourages for crusty record collector dudes who also happen to be married!

• Man, what a night!

Huge turnout, great vibe, and the art looked great. Every single person that walked into the gallery was totally blown away and had a big old smile on their face. Couldn't have been any better.

Mike had a ball signing autographs and talking to his adoring fans. Seriously, people were just showering him with love love and praise! I think he was a little overwhelmed, but in a good way. I don't think he ever in his wildest dreams expected such a huge response. He wore a killer disguise (wig, sunglasses, fake mustache and beard), so he was comfortable having his picture taken and talking with people. He was especially thrilled when Roy Ayers' drummer (from Ramp) came up to him and told him how much he loved his albums.

It was great to see some strutters in the house! Nice to finally meet/see Mr. Drew Nice from Philly, Mr. & Mrs. Fatback along with baby Fatback, Neville C., Noz, Knewjack.. am I leaving anyone out? There were a couple dudes that even drove up from Georgia just for the show.

Joseph War and Mike's oldest sister Cathy (in her 80s), who raised Mike, were there too. I interviewed Cathy a while back for the book, but apparently she had no idea the book was out or that there was a gallery show. Joseph War just picked her up and told her that they were going somewhere. When she got there she was delighted (and shocked) to see Mike's albums and all of his fans. I don't think she had ever seen all of the albums together like that. She had a blast talking to everybody at the show too.

I heartily encourage anyone who's in the DC area to check out the show. It'll be up until the end of July. In the meantime we're working on lining up more around the country.

And now.. here's a picture of me, Mike, Joseph War, and Ian McKay of Minor Threat/Fugazi, who's a big fan.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Holy shit I just saw this!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Holy shit I just saw this!

Best photo ever. The wife and I are headed up to DC on Friday and can't wait to see Mike's work in person.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Bring this to New York!

Workin on it!

If anyone has any ideas for venues please hollur. The tough part about showing the work is that galleries will want to sell the art, and we're not at that point just yet.

Just wondering if there was any progress on this.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    As far as new york spots, have the people at your gallery talk to the American folk art museum in NY. Getting some of his work in their permanant collection would be a real good look. They are the people to do this shit there, and they will not be interested in selling the work, probablly just your books. Like most museums they've probably got a whole years schedule booked (at least) but you could get the ball rolling. The warhol in pittsburgh might be worth looking into too, they did a Darger exhibit last year- seems like it would be up their alley.

Matt

This sounds like a great route to take.