Whats the "SOULSTRUT" of the DESIGN Community?

phono13phono13 842 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I figured folks on here would have some insight on some decent to top-notch design forums. I'm particularly interested in interior/architectural design, but also love graphic, print, and fine art (all with a modern slant). I frequent blogs on the subject, but I'd like to get involved in some design discussions.

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'll chime in on this:
    and this
    and these

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

These chairs at the Seattle Public Library, feel good, look cool and are pee proof.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yay Hooray seems like it could be along the lines of what you're looking for. You have to apply for membership though.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I'd like this:

The ultimate system was the KLH Twenty Plus -- basically a Model Twenty with its cabinet and speakers designed by industrial designer David Price. Sitting on modernist aluminum pedestals, it was very cool looking and sold for $525. This is a scarce item.

What made these systems so popular was that for the first time you could own a high-fidelity setup which was easy to buy, hook up and use. Previously, components were researched and bought separately -- usually including an amplifier, tuner, speakers and turntable with the associated wiring.

So who knows of any Design forums besides Soulstrut?

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    I hang at gigposters.com.

Yay Hooray seems like it could be along the lines of what you're looking for. You have to apply for membership though.

Thanks MOke! Looks like it doesn't take itself too seriously. Nice.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    pee proof.

An essential for any library seat. I can't tell you how many times I've been deep into "Tale of Two Cities" and just let go, so to speak.

Hey, I want to find some cheap, knock-off design furniture. I have an expensive taste but my pocket book won't have that.

Hey, I want to find some cheap, knock-off design furniture. I have an expensive taste but my pocket book won't have that.

I recently purchased this sofa made by Younger Furniture. It's a "knock-off" of the Bantam sofa sold at Design (Not) Within Reach. I wouldn't be surprised if Younger Furn. actually makes the sofa for DWR. Same hardwood construction, but you get to pick your fabric and colors through Younger.

Younger Furniture - ~$1000 for the full size sofa

Bantam @ DWR - $1800

You do have to be careful with knock-off's though. Quality construction and materials are crucial.

Mine is brown and kind of hard to see in this pic. Room is in a "in progress" state.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    You do have to be careful with knock-off's though. Quality construction and materials are crucial.

Does anyone have any experience with the replica Eames loungers?
    I know Vitra are supposed to make fairly decent ones, but something inside me is making me hold out for a genuine Herman-Miller model.
    That said, a battered genuine issue seems to still sell for ??1500+ over here. You can buy a brand new replica with the ottoman for ??600ish.

Does anyone have any experience with the replica Eames loungers?
    I know Vitra are supposed to make fairly decent ones, but something inside me is making me hold out for a genuine Herman-Miller model.
    That said, a battered genuine issue seems to still sell for ??1500+ over here. You can buy a brand new replica with the ottoman for ??600ish.

As far as an Eames Lounge, I would save up for the real deal. Kinda like saving up and buying Technics instead of Gemini's. Vitra is an exception... pretty good quality. Used/vintage Eames lounges, even if they are battered, can go for more than new genuine sets depending on the wood-type and age. You can catch discounts here and there (free shipping, HM does a 10% off once or twice a year, etc.). The best deal is to have a friend who works with HM. I believe they get a killer discount around the holidays. I've wanted one myself for a long time. This is what I'm lounging in until then:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Workplace.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

coffee table amp-

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is the greatest chair i have ever seen with my own two eyes. it looks. it looks amazing.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Well rounded

Newstoday