Another Repeating Thread (mp3 player-rel)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
My ipod just bought the farm... I remember a friend mentioning a place in NYC (not the "genius" bar) to take them where they will give you partial credit towards a new one for usable parts or some such? Anyone know what I speak of?Also, I am pretty much gonna get another ipod but I would still be open to hearing about people's experiences with other players.This one lasted me damn near 2 years so I am not too salty. Still, $400 (then) for a $250 item (now) that only lasts 2 years is like sauce that is somewhat weak.

Comments

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    JP: The Apple Store will give you credit towards a new iPod, also you can see if it is a bad HD or battery, both of which are pretty easy to fix...
    Peace
    Zeb

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's that clicking sound when it tries to start up and gives me the "sad ipod" icon. It had been freezing for a while.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have been entertaining selling out and going with an iPod. Only because I live by my iTunes on my MAC these days... but not if it's gonna fail me in two years!!?? That's redic. My iRiver is 3 years old and still pounding away... but me wants more functionality.

What are folks impression on iPods... are these shits disposable after two years?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    are these shits disposable after two years?

Unfortunately, with normal use, that seems to be the average lifespan for a non-flash drive iPod. If you'd like a longer life, get a flash drive iPod. The upper limit for memory is 4Gb at the moment, but thats not too bad.

That clicking noise is the movable parts in your iPod failing. Flash drive = no movable parts.

• The wife had hers for 3 years, then it started having issues....freezing and sad face ish. We took it to the ipod store and they gave us a brand new one.... I believe she had some coverage on it, not sure though, my good friend gave it to her because he bought a newer model From what I gather, Macintosh takes care of its customers...I'm sure not everyone has had the same experience, but ours was pleasent.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If you bitch and moan at the Apple Store they'll probably give in eventually and get you a new one. Not always easy to do though.

I've had mine for 2 years now and it's been fine, but I really haven't used it a ton since my Etymotics broke. Most of my friends have had one break at this point.

Personally, I'd keep the iRiver, they sound way better anyways. iPods are doing too much now, trying to play games, show photos, play movies, store contact info, etc. Unnecessary.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Unfortunately, with normal use, that seems to be the average lifespan for a non-flash drive iPod. If you'd like a longer life, get a flash drive iPod. The upper limit for memory is 4Gb at the moment, but thats not too bad.

That clicking noise is the movable parts in your iPod failing. Flash drive = no movable parts.

nanos are the way to go if you want real durability. shell out for the 8 gig and dont look back.

raj: if you like the itunes interface, youll get the itunes functionaly real quick

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

nanos are the way to go if you want real durability. shell out for the 8 gig and dont look back.

raj: if you like the itunes interface, youll get the itunes functionaly real quick

8Gb is out now? Nice.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DONT GET SONY MP3 products

my sister and i got some for chrsitmas..hers fucks up after a month pays to get it fixed

mine is fine..and breaks 3 days after the warranty

purely

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    What's the word on Zune?

• i've had my 3rd gen. 40gb ipod for 3+ years now... and i 've only had to change the battery once. easy fix.

i would love to buy another brand of player, but none exist that have huge hard drives (40gb+) to carry large amounts of music. plus, i have definatly gotten my money's worth on my current one.

check this site for help. you might be able to save it.