Soldiers not going to war ?

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
What reprecussion does an enlisted military soldier have if he/she has served a duty in Iraq and is sent home to do his/her thing(job), but is called/ordered to go back again, and does not go? Court Martial, yes? What is the proper violation and penalty do you have with imprisonment if found guilty of this? I know of folk who have been ordered to go back. I couldn't do it for so many reasons. Bring them the fuck home!

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    dodge it

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What reprecussion does an enlisted military soldier have if he/she has served a duty in Iraq and is sent home to do his/her thing(job), but is called/ordered to go back again, and does not go? Court Martial, yes? What is the proper violation and penalty do you have with imprisonment if found guilty of this? I know of folk who have been ordered to go back. I couldn't do it for so many reasons.

Bring them the fuck home!

There are lots of mitigating factors that would play into what would happen. Depends on the reasons given. Sounds like your friends are National Guard or Reserve. All the people I know who have done this are regular Army. I think the sure fire way to stay home is to say you are gay. If they reenstate the draft, gay will be the new Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehren_Watada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iraq_War_Resisters

Good luck to your friends. I'll support them what ever decision they make. I will work to get us the out. Let me know if I can help.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    gay is the present-day canada.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Sedition is the word I was looking for.

From Wiki:

Iraq War

According to the Pentagon, more than 5500 military personnel deserted in 2003???2004, following the Iraq invasion and occupation. [1]. The number had reached about 8000 by the first quarter of 2006. [2] Another report stated that since 2000, about 40,000 troops from all branches of the military have deserted, also according to the Pentagon. More than half of these served in the US Army [3]. Almost all of these soldiers deserted within the USA. There has only been one reported case of a desertion in Iraq. The Army, Navy and Air Force reported 7,978 desertions in 2001, compared with 3,456 in 2005. The Marine Corps showed 1,603 Marines in desertion status in 2001. That had declined by 148 in 2005." [4]

"There has only been one reported case of a desertion in Iraq." - could make a good story.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Sedition is the word I was looking for.

From Wiki:

Iraq War

According to the Pentagon, more than 5500 military personnel deserted in 2003???2004, following the Iraq invasion and occupation. [1]. The number had reached about 8000 by the first quarter of 2006. [2] Another report stated that since 2000, about 40,000 troops from all branches of the military have deserted, also according to the Pentagon. More than half of these served in the US Army [3]. Almost all of these soldiers deserted within the USA. There has only been one reported case of a desertion in Iraq. The Army, Navy and Air Force reported 7,978 desertions in 2001, compared with 3,456 in 2005. The Marine Corps showed 1,603 Marines in desertion status in 2001. That had declined by 148 in 2005." [4]

"There has only been one reported case of a desertion in Iraq." - could make a good story.
    +

Could be that guy who claimed to be captured and then turned up with family in Lebanon. Motown might know the details.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    What reprecussion does an enlisted military soldier have if he/she has served a duty in Iraq and is sent home to do his/her thing(job), but is called/ordered to go back again, and does not go? Court Martial, yes? What is the proper violation and penalty do you have with imprisonment if found guilty of this? I know of folk who have been ordered to go back. I couldn't do it for so many reasons.

Bring them the fuck home!

I am pretty certain that they would end up in a military prison, lose every benefit they ever had through court-martial, and generally be up shit's creek.

I am sure there are channels to properly go through to get out of duty, but I am also faily sure that those channels are very, very VERY tightly scrutinized at this point. This military is being pushed to it's limits.