Motherfucking Trail Blazers

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Who the hell is #3? I Can't make him out. A young cliff robinson before the bald look? Looks more like a guard though.
    y

I'm pretty sure that's Cliff. Man that team was talented but very dumb. Detroit ran through them in the finals. Didn't Chicago beat them too? Jordan "basket felt like the ocean" or some shit?

Yes. Barkley made a similar comment sometime during this regular season on TNT where he said those Blazer teams were great, but you could just wait for them to fall apart in the 4th quarter of a game.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jordan "basket felt like the ocean" or some shit?

LOL LOL If that ain't a slap in the face, I don't know what is.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The only Blazers that eva mattered....:

and Rasheed Wallace....

Give me a fucking break. Sheed was a total head case. Any Portlander worth his salt rides for these guys first and foremost. Corky Calhoun, Lloyd Neal and Twardzik (sans perm). MFing world champs in the house.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The only Blazers that eva mattered....:

and Rasheed Wallace....

Give me a fucking break. Sheed was a total head case. Any Portlander worth his salt rides for these guys first and foremost. Corky Calhoun, Lloyd Neal and Twardzik (sans perm). MFing world champs in the house.

Maybe that #32 guy had something to do with winning the title too!!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    on the plus, atlanta can finally pick that point guard they've badly needed.

at #3? a duplicate marvin williams! julian wright comes to mind.

being the die-hard kansas bball fan that i am, i would say that picking julian wright anywhere in the top 6-8 picks would be a BIG[/b] mistake. dude is overrated and gets lost in most big games. turnover city.

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    Saying the 1989-90 Trail Blazer team was 'very dumb' is a bit of a overstatement. We crushed every team we played in the playoofs that year on the way to the finals.....Dallas, San Antonio, and Phoenix. In the end Detroit was a better team. We just couldnt match up with them. If we had Sabonis though.......shit would have been a different story.

Remember, just the year before we had a losing record under Schuler. We fired him....hired a unkown assistant by the name of Rick Adelman and traded that waste Bowie for Buck Williams.

Not a dumb team by any means.

Same thing happened in 1991-92. In the playoffs, Portland trounced the Lakers, Suns, and Jazz.

The finals though were a little different. We could not control Jordan. he was in his prime. No team in the league could control him. But, if we had Sabonis....shots would have opened up for Drexler. He was being mahhandled that series...double and triple teamed the entire series.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Remember, just the year before we had a losing record under Schuler. We fired him....hired a unkown assistant by the name of Rick Adelman

Wasn't Rick coaching Community College at the time?

He was a assistant coach to Mike Schuler.

Not sure before that though. I know his daughter coaches girls high school basketball somewhere here in Portland.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It's all about '77. People forget that the next year they were 50-10 (a 68 game pace) before Walton split his foot in half. They finished 58-24 and got bounced in the first round. Before the injury they were as dominant as any team in recent memory.

Actually I think the team that lost to the Shaq/Kobe Lakers was a better squad through and through than the Drexler teams. That was one of the greatest playoff series ever. Had they not collapsed in the 4th quarter they would have easily won the title. If you'll remember the Drexler era boyz got manhandled by Magic and a bunch of nobodies in 1991. Out coached by far.

Rock, of course Walton and Lucas are godz. I was representing for those who don't remember the supporting cast.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Adelman's son used to regularly come into a bar that I worked at. Nice kid. I think he is in coaching somewhere also.
    I just realised a realistic destination for Randolph: Chicago. They need a scoring presence in the front to accompany Ben Wallace, and they are not averse to playing half-court basketball which suits Randolph's game. In return they are already planning to move Andres Nocioni, maybe a Nocioni and Duhon package would match Randolph's salary.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I believe his son is coaching my alma mater, Lincoln High School. GO Cards.

Randolph under Skiles would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Randolph has a bad rep in the league. It's going to be hard to get anything for him. I'd take draft picks if that???s all we could get.

Word on the street is we are going to let Miles walk. It's going to be a similar settlement to what we gave Kemp. I'm guessing he resurfaces on some team and gets garbage minutes ....then bounces around the league a couple more years and fades off. The kid can???t play the 3 anymore.....he is too out of shape. He will have to adjust his game to the 4 to have any luck in the league.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Word on the street is we are going to let Miles walk. It's going to be a similar settlement to what we gave Kemp. I'm guessing he resurfaces on some team and gets garbage minutes ....then bounces around the league a couple more years and fades off. The kid can???t play the 3 anymore.....he is too out of shape. He will have to adjust his game to the 4 to have any luck in the league.

Was there ever a position he could play? He's the classic great athlete/lousy basketball player prototype. If he's not dunking on the fast break, he's pretty useless.

Agreed.

1 good year on Clippers.....that's all his H.S. hype was worth.

On a side note....he was the first injured player in Blazer franchise history that we said to not even bother to show up to any press events, nba read to achieve type shit, opening day....anything.

He came to the last game of the season because his agent said it would be a good move. It was funny to see him a plaid suit 50 pounds over his normal weight.

Somebody needs to post a recent picture of him.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    on the plus, atlanta can finally pick that point guard they've badly needed.

at #3? a duplicate marvin williams! julian wright comes to mind.

being the die-hard kansas bball fan that i am, i would say that picking julian wright anywhere in the top 6-8 picks would be a BIG[/b] mistake. dude is overrated and gets lost in most big games. turnover city.

i was actually saying that a pg at #3 would be a bad move considering the top rated pg is mike conley jr and hes at best maybe a 10-15 pick.

mock drafts have brendan wright going to the hawks, that hawks franchise is pretty bad.

getting back to the blazers, doesnt rashard lewis wanna come and play for yall? a lineup or jarret jack, brandon roy, lewis, aldridge and oden looks scary. the west will be a beast to get out of again.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    yuichi - your Lakers are gonna have even more problems if they don't do something HUGE in the offseason...

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Bill Walton sounds like such a douche on TV....The 77 team was the one...Rasheed Wallace was a head case. e-40 didn't ride for him either...However I think he's proved himself on the court...We had a good run in 2001.

• faded_gloryfaded_glory 421 Posts

jesus, either darius got swoll while he was rehabbing the knee or just gave up and stopped taking care of his body .. but damn, he used to be rail thin. i dont think he's a bad dude, just very immature and if he ever 'gets it' it might be too late ... he was just starting to show some more well-rounded basketball skills before the knee went out but something tells me his career might be over

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    He has one of the all-time weirdest decisions to make. If he quits now dude to a career ending knee injury, he is allowed to keep all of the remaining money in his contract which is something on the order of 25 million. If opts to play then he rolls the dice and could get cut and be out everything. I'd love to a fly on the wall in the room where he is making that decision.

He has one of the all-time weirdest decisions to make. If he quits now dude to a career ending knee injury, he is allowed to keep all of the remaining money in his contract which is something on the order of 25 million. If opts to play then he rolls the dice and could get cut and be out everything. I'd love to a fly on the wall in the room where he is making that decision.

not true - he will get 100% of his money unless he agrees to a buyout at a lesser figure ... which would presumably only happen if he plans to sign elsewhere to make up for the money lost. the only issue is who pays his salary - the team (he stays active) or insurance (medical retirement). the blazers are free to cut him all they want, but they'd still be on the hook for his salary, which would still count against their cap figure. the only incentive to do so would be to free up a roster spot.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    So his choice is retirement with full pay or sit on the bench for full pay or take a less than full buy out and try his luck elsewhere. Is that right?

Local Dallas Sports Radio is giddy over Portland landing the #1 pick....they think that means we can land Zach Randolph in a trade.

One local host said it was the perfect way for the Mav's to "thug up" their lineup.

Would be a bad move imo.

thug up?

thug up?

Was that taken at the Safari Club???

haha!

who would dallas give up for zach? or would it be a sign and trade deal involving seattle, rashard lewis and jason terry?

haha!

who would dallas give up for zach? or would it be a sign and trade deal involving seattle, rashard lewis and jason terry?

I hope they don't go after him.....but I wouldn't mind giving up Terry and Diop for Rashard.

So his choice is retirement with full pay or sit on the bench for full pay or take a less than full buy out and try his luck elsewhere. Is that right?

yup. this isn't the nfl - he's fully guaranteed 100% of his contract the moment he signs it. considering where he is in his career and that this is probably the last job he'll ever have in his life, i seriously doubt he's going to do the blazers a favor and accept less than the full amount he's due. he'd rather sit around and pretend like he's rehabbing until his contract runs out (it looks like he's doing that anyway). even at that, buyouts rarely save teams very much (chris webber probably lost $3-5M tops out of a remaining $45M ...) ... and if the team really wants to be over and done with it and give him all his money and get him out of their way, the money owed him would be spread out over 3 years for cap purposes (it's stupid, arcane rules like this that so many teams get stuck with awful contracts in their craw). so barring a trade he's going to be the blazers' responsibility for a few more years in one way or another .. the only benefit of a medical retirement is that insurance picks up 80% of the remaining salary, so paul allen would save about $20M

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    yuichi - your Lakers are gonna have even more problems if they don't do something HUGE in the offseason...

I'm not stressing it, whatever happens happens. Besides, I don't even clearly understand the definition of Free Agent, and Opting out and all that. I just hope we get some experience or talent, preferably someone with both.

Miles could pull a Kemp and accept less money to opt out of his contract. Everybody thought Kemp would be a problem for the full 3 years of his contract.....somehow Patterson pulled it off. I'm sure it had something to do with Kemp checking into rehab though.

To my knowledge Miles and Randolph have the same agent. There could be some 'lets try to make both parties happy' type shit going on. If thats the case there might be some $$$$ sent with Z-Bo to make a trade, Miles accepts a buy out and goes to another team and the Blazers are rid of the last of the Patterson era. Not many options for the Blazers either way.

If Dallas gets Zach they'll have two guys that can't jump and can't play D. That would be a huge mistake.