NAZZ apreesh

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
one of the great criminally underrated 60s rock bands. Great playing, songs, sense of humor...good shit, appreciate batches.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yes. Great rock with some nice psych effects, but doesn't forget to rock.

Check out this early Nazz radio commercial. Corny and completely awesome at the same time:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Check out this early Nazz radio commercial. Corny and completely awesome at the same time:

that div share doo-hickey doesnt work for me

that div share doo-hickey doesnt work for me

Damn. It's not loading for me either. I'll re-up with another link momentarily.

Try this.

ha!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i think they use to rate pretty high,
    then were forgotten
    (like todd)

mod philly garage psych soul for daze
    !

i celebrate their catalog
    (loose chix in the 70's related)

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    yeah im a big fan of all three lps. especially the first two.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    My old band used to cover "Open My Eyes" back around '91 - fucking great song. As is "Forget All About It."

Some old dude at this dive bar in LA was fucking with me the other week and said "Todd Rundgren wants his hair back."

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i've worked/met todd several times and he loves some good budd/tequilla
    not to mention he is a true gentleman/genius and philly soul slave

• skattaskatta 48 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i think they use to rate pretty high,
    then were forgotten
    (like todd)

mod philly garage psych soul for daze
    !

i celebrate their catalog
    (loose chix in the 70's related)

I remember back when the Rhino Nuggets Lps and reissues of those Nazz LPs were coming out in the 80s there seemed to be quite a buzz about them, which did seem to evaporate just as quickly. While I like the records (and LOVE 'Open My Eyes'), I am more partial to Todd's early solo output thru 'Something/Anything'.

My old band used to cover "Open My Eyes" back around '91 - fucking great song. As is "Forget All About It."

Some old dude at this dive bar in LA was fucking with me the other week and said "Todd Rundgren wants his hair back."

I first heard that song actually as a cover...I went to a Posies gig in '90, they ended their set with an obscure Nirvana tune ("Been a Son"...way before Nirvana blew up) and "Open Your Eyes", I had to ask them what that song was after the gig...I thought it sounded like an ELO/Move tune (I thought I was being a clever 18 year old asking "was that a Jeff Lynne tune?"). I promptly went out and bought the Rhino reissue LPs.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts

I read somewhere that they were one of the first American bands to admit they were going for the British sound.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I read somewhere that they were one of the first American bands to admit they were going for the British sound.

I think The Byrds were admitting to this prior to the Nazz, but anything is possible. It was all happening pretty fast once the Beatles hit.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts

I like NAZZ alot, and NAZZ NAZZ a little less.

Haven't fucked with III. Still that hotness?

yeah, its a little more "jammy"...lots of heavy guitar freakouts...and the "Loosen Up" is on there which I find funny...a very sloppy version of "Tighten Up" that just gets sloppier and sloppier until it falls apart...

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    While I like the records (and LOVE 'Open My Eyes'), I am more partial to Todd's early solo output thru 'Something/Anything'.

man, i love that early Rundgren stuff..... "runt: the ballad of todd rundgren" and "something / anything" are mind melting albums. brilliant!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

yeah, its a little more "jammy"...lots of heavy guitar freakouts...and the "Loosen Up" is on there which I find funny...a very sloppy version of "Tighten Up" that just gets sloppier and sloppier until it falls apart...

A "sloppy version?" Sounds more like an out-and-out parody.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Crazy, I just pick up the 1st LP a couple hours ago! Sounded good at the listening station. Look forward to a full spin.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts

hahaha Sold!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I remember when Rhino first reissued these albums, sometime in the late-80's (87?), and MTV would play the "Open My Eyes" video. I thought that was one of the best things I had ever heard, and I think I could only afford The Best Of Nazz[/b] tape (!) but it was great.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    A "sloppy version?" Sounds more like an out-and-out parody.

It was a bit of both. Tuna fish hoagie, anyone?