Anyone Ever Lost Their Cell Phone?

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
This is a nightmare. It fell out of my pocket in the cab on the way home Sat. night. I realized it was gone as soon as I got to the top of my stairs. Cab gone. Don't even remember the cab company. I have called every cab company in the city and nothing's come in yet. I called the phone and it's either dead or whoever found it turned it off. There's probably a quarter of those numbers in there I will never be able to recover; folks I am not in e-mail contact with who I'm just gonna have to wait to call me. Bammer.

Comments

• Happened to me a couple months ago. Sucked. Same thing, voicemail kept picking up (i think the phone died, so...) I just finally just got a new phone...my old carrier would not bend on a replacement so I sent them packing.

Once I lost my phone and some nice lady found it and used the 'home' autodial to tell me she found it, wish that was the case for you dude.

• hugh_lucerohugh_lucero 485 Posts
    stink one - thats nearly happened to me a number of times ..

Mine slipped into a full glass of water a week back and totally frazzled out, $95 brought it back to life, I was kinda pissed but I guess its better then losing it

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    DUDE...you've been a wreck all weekend. Turn those amps down from 11 to 7, chad.

• Options
    I lost one and had another stolen. Yeah it definitely sucks. I've used a Treo the last three years so everything is backed up on the computer, so if you need a new phone you can come steal mine and I'll still have access to my numbers. You should look into such a device.

At least you just cleaned out a lot of numbers you probably will never need again. You'll be ok my man, stay focused and hydrate.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I recommend this device for just such unfortunate occasions:

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    I recommend this device for just such unfortunate occasions:

analog iceyness....

either that...or transpose all numbers to a book...that's what I do...then if it goes...at least i have my #s still...

what a nightmare...sorry duder...that sucks..

• dayday 9,611 Posts

what a nightmare...sorry duder...that sucks..

Definitely. I dropped my phone once in Portland but the guy who found it answered and we met up so I could get it back. Only reason he probably didn't keep it is cause the screen didn't work.

The one I bought after that has Bluetooth (most probably do now) and while I can't do much with the phone I have, I can wirelessly transfer contacts to my computer which I highly recommend next one you get.

Keep your head up.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DUDE...you've been a wreck all weekend. Turn those amps down from 11 to 7, chad.

yeah man it was that girl I was with....I knew she was trouble...why didn't you warn me mayne???

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yes. On a roller coaster. It went upside down.

And the wierd thing is, I went on-line and checked the call records: my last call was to my voicemail at 2:05 AM, which makes sense. I did call my voicemail when I exited the bar. But there's 3 outgoing text messages from around 3:15 AM -- way after I got home without the phone. Unfortunately, ever-helpful Cingular is unable to tell me who those messages were sent to....So yeah, the taxi driver texted some random folls from my phone at 3:15 and I don't know who...fucking great.

They offered to block the SIM card but I want to give it a day or so. After all if whoever has it plugs it in I may be able to get ahold of them. Or if they make a call from it then the number will show up on-line and then at least I have a lead....

Anyway I have international calls blocked so hopefully there won't be any huge charges. Like I say there haven't been any calls since I lost it, just the texts. Plus I'll keep an eye on it online in the meantime....

• sergserg 682 Posts
    man that sucks. I lost my phone in texas a couple years back. that shit sucked, ended up buying a new one the next morning but I canceled my shit when i got home. I switched carriers and got a new phone for free.

• first time i lost mine, i called it, and the dudes from the pizza spot on bedford were like, "your dunk ass left your celly here -- come get it" bet. tipped those dudes $20...

second time i was late to work, got a car from myrtle car service, left it in there... called; nobody answered. i called cingular... "yo this is me, i lost my celly. what are the last four numbers i dialed?" "uh you called mexico, mexico, mexico, and brooklyn." "what's the number in brooklyn?" called, i got the drivers' wife... she's like "i fuckin' told him..." i made her tell him to meet me at the car service by white castle, or it was on. dude showed, gave me my phone... gave me a look like "all in the game, right?" word.

moral is: call yr service provider, either trace the number and be all mickey spillane like me, or go to the store, have them dead that sim, and issue you a new one with the same number.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    You got an old phone? I always keep my old ones for just such an occasion, have all your old numbers transfered to whatever new phone you get. A while back I lost a new phone after 8 months, but I had the previous joint, so I only ended up loosing 8 months of numbers, nahmsayn?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    luckily, i've only "lost" mine--as in misplaced it by leaving it at a friends place, falling under my car seat, etc. this happens a lot, and i lose it for days at a time--but never lost.
    still, in some instances--i have cancelled my cell just to be on the safe side.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    There's probably a quarter of those numbers in there I will never be able to recover; folks I am not in e-mail contact with who I'm just gonna have to wait to call me. Bammer.

you can get your old cell phone bills and see who you have dialed. some numbers should jump out at you based on area codes.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i loose or break my phone like every 3 months. get a new one off ebay for about 30 bucks. i had a fancy phone with insurance at one point, but fuck all that. as long as i can receive and make calls, i'm fine.

loosing contacts is a pain. people think i'm a dick for never calling, but i pretty much have to wait for people to call me.

• keep callin your phone!

i lost my phone a little over a month ago in a cab coming back from the bar at 3am. here's a little story:

i get home and realize it's gone, so right away i start calling cab companies. of course i was drunk and in no state to write down the cab number or even remember what company it was, so i tried them all. it was sat night and they were busy and not very helpful.

then i started calling my phone...every 2-3 minutes or so. some dude answers and is like "who is this?" i respond "the owner of this phone, who are you?" the dude starts laughing and tells his boys "the owner of this phone is calling" and they all seem to get a kick out of it. then dude hangs up AND turns the phone off! i kept trying back every 5 minutes, until 30 mins later the dude answers again..."hello?" "yo, i just want my phone back, i can give you a little cash too..." he's like "$100" (now mind you, I have a blue LG - this is not some baller $hit) and i'm like "dude you're crazy, take a look at the phone you're holding, that it's not worth $50...good luck finding someone to pay you $50 for it!" then he hangs up on me again. At this point I am about to give up and call Verizon and cancel cause I needed a new phone anyway, but then the dude calls back: "How much is this worth to you?" me - "I'll hook you up w/ $20" then he proceeds to be like "20 dollars hahaha" to his friends laughing in the backround, "we want p*ssy" he says "we have everything else we need." i'm like "can't help you there buddy." so he starts talking to his friends again and i notice they are speaking in GREEK! Immediately I bust out a "eisai ellinas? ande gamisou re malaka" which basically translates to: "you're greek? go f*ck yourself jagoff!" The dude was immediately shook. He was like " no way man, you're greek?" I'm like yeah dude, so does that mean i get phone back malaka? and he starts laughing and says "Meet me at Greektown Gyros" HAHA...mind you this is at 4am now. So I jumped in the ride, head down there and walk into the packed gyro spot and I'm just looking around...then this greek dude motions to me and is like "andreas?" i look at him kinda serious, then everyone starts laughing and the dude hands me my phone and apologizes for playing games to which i thank him and don't give him a dime (i wasn't too mad after all that, although not amused either).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Immediately I bust out a "eisai ellinas? ande gamisou re malaka" which basically translates to: "you're greek? go f*ck yourself jagoff!" The dude was immediately shook. He was like " no way man, you're greek?" I'm like yeah dude, so does that mean i get phone back malaka?

HAHAHHA, yea hommie!

There's probably a quarter of those numbers in there I will never be able to recover; folks I am not in e-mail contact with who I'm just gonna have to wait to call me. Bammer.

you can get your old cell phone bills and see who you have dialed. some numbers should jump out at you based on area codes.

this is what I've been doing using the online bill.

I had to post this. One of the many homies I have e-mailed explaining my ordeal just wrote me back:

That sucks. Funny thing: one time I lost my phone and
    I had to go to
    David Bowie's house to pick it up. His wife, Iman,
    found it in a cab.
    The stranger thing is that she is evidently the victim
    of clitoral
    mutilation. David Bowie has a notorious sexual
    appetite. I was
    curious as to how that whole thing worked between
    them. But I settled
    for my phone back in one piece so I kept my mouth
    shut.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    STALKING GAME INTERUPTED

DON'T LET THE STOP YOU HOMIE, THERE'S STILL LAN LINES!