what the drinks policy where you DJ?

2»

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    i once dj'd a spot that gave me only 1 drink ticket. fortunately, the dj booth was behind the bar so i took a bottle of glenlivet.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i need to know.

HAS ANYBODY EVAR HAD A SPOT WHERE THEY HAD TO PAY FULL PRICE CASH MONEY FOR DRINKS WHILE DJING?

yes. i used to play this one sushi joint that charged me full price. the pay was good enough and i'd tip nice too. the manager was a jackass though so i don't play there any longer.

yes. i played this huge venue just last friday and dude charged me full price, $9!!!!!! fuck that. only had the one. okay, two. they claim they don't do drink tickets, but this was a big ass place that could easily afford to hook me up.

i play one spot that gives 2 free drinks but whenever i go there, even when i am not working the bartenders ALWAYS buy me, at the very least, one round. they also give an employee discount on food, except for the specials! anything that isn't a special is way over priced so i just pay for the wings and herb rolls out of pocket.

most places i play don't even trip and fill the drinks up nice and full. they also feed me properly too. i wouldn't bring a flask into a place i play though, aside from legality issues, its just kind of tacky - though i feel your pain and would probably consider being tacky if it came to it.

one place has a $50 drink/food allowence, another has $150 and the food is less expensive! another gives drink tickets but since i make them a lot of money they never trip. they also hook me up whenever i go even if not working.

but thats me though.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    right now i basically have an open tab, but i have been at places where they didn't have a policy and it was up to the bartenders to hook you up.

btw, for those who dj solo, how do you drink at all without running back and forth to the bathroom?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    for those who dj solo, how do you drink at all without running back and forth to the bathroom?

MEGAMIX

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    right now i basically have an open tab, but i have been at places where they didn't have a policy and it was up to the bartenders to hook you up.

btw, for those who dj solo, how do you drink at all without running back and forth to the bathroom?

Fatback has two flasks. One for drinking and one for...you know.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

besides a bladder of steel there is always - rappers delight, super rappin or i have a 10 minute mix of peek-a-boo.... plenty of time to release, wash up, slap the waitress on the ass and get back to your post before people ask questions....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• In Vegas, it's pretty common to have a couple of bars in your pocket. It's pretty understood throughout the city that you never actually PAY for a drink. You put your time in, build a report with your local bartender then you proceed to tip big when you leave. With all the gaming that they have in the bars, they can afford to give out free drinks all day becuase they make it back in the machines. That's why when you dont gamble, you really make sure that you take care of your bartenders.

Now, as far as that "drink limit/ticket/tab" bullshit when your making a bar money. Fuck that. I only have one regular gig a week and the bar manager tried to pull that "drink ticket" shit with me after I have been there a year. I looked at her like she was crazy. I mean, it's not like I'm a fucking lush or anything. I would have about 3 drinks a night (par for the course) and MAYBE get a drink or two for a friend, but thats tops. Anyway, i started playing her little game but the Bar Tender told me to get the fuck out of there with the drink tickets and continues to hand me the keys to the kingdom as far as the free booze goes.

He's knows whats up and what I put up with. He also knows that I'm there putting money in his tip bucket. So I have a shit load of free drink "chips" in my car right now. Let me know when ever some of the Sturt Fam comes through. I got you.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

besides a bladder of steel there is always - rappers delight, super rappin or i have a 10 minute mix of peek-a-boo.... plenty of time to release, wash up, slap the waitress on the ass and get back to your post before people ask questions....
    yeah there are a lot of joints to do this too. I have songs for different venues cause i know how long it will take me to do my biz and get back at that particular place. This one joint i can get a piss out in under 3 mins flat so i can get back nice and quick.

But also to dude who had the conversation about bringing equipment. I always bring my own pa to a gig even though it sits out in the van all night. Just in case any dumb shit happens, house sound issues, monitoring, rolling up to the spot to find no system. I also do some gigs outside of clubs like small bars and some resturant/bars so it gets a lot of use. Had to fallback on it a mad times and it saved my ass from going home broke.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i need to know.

HAS ANYBODY EVAR HAD A SPOT WHERE THEY HAD TO PAY FULL PRICE CASH MONEY FOR DRINKS WHILE DJING?

Yes, this place I play at occasionally and my flask is a little lady one, so if I'm drinking that night, I bring a mickey with me. Another occasional place only allows beer for the DJs and that's no good for me, so I usually give them to friends and supply my own. I only play at these places now and then and usually for 'events', so the pay is good enough that I don't care too too much about not getting free drinks. I would not go for this arrangement if it was a regular spot, not so much for me, but for my guests, you know?

My regular spots give free drinks all night and I usually tip out the bar $10 - $15 at the end of the night. I only have one other person with me at my nights, so it never gets out of hand. Other nights when there are three DJs, the amount of booze they are giving for free can get out of hand. The bar tried giving out a limited amount of drink tickets to the DJs but that didn't last very long, because depending on the DJs' relationsship with the bar, you could get anything from six to 15 tickets!

• stefskistefski 12 Posts
    Fuck that.
    i cant even drink where i work. im pretty sure its illegal to consume booze whilst working.

That depends on the state and or country's liquor laws. I have had many drinks with bartenders and cooks while they were on the clock.

It also depends on how neurotic the owner/personell is. I was spinning alongside this one resident dj dood who'd been there for longer than the whole bar personell. he was handing me some zero-tolerance bs. "if the cops see you they will shut us down".

I'm always like in these situations but I suppose every man has his reasons.