Mardi Gras without the bells?

13»

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    spoke to biz last night... he assssssssured me he has said 12".

yo kon, next time youre talking to the man, ask him pretty please to snap a pic of the label..

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    There is an early '80's re-issue of Bob James 2 that
    has a different mix of "Mardi Grass" (as well as other mixes of the other tunes). It's channels are more 'seperated' . You'll hear the bells (with the beat in the background)
    on one channel & the beat ( with the bells really quiet ) on the other channel. That's the closest you can get !!! It's that issue on Tappan Zee / Columbia (AL 36836) records without the gatefold sleeve (CTI logo is taken off the sleeve!!!). I also have that Italian 45 picture sleeve release of which a notorious seller on E-bay claimed it
    has a different mix. This is false information...

i have both the columbia and the columbia tappan zee non gatefold repress' and they both have bells..

That's what I'm saying: ... the beat ( with the bells really quiet ) on the other channel. That's the closest you can get !!!
    As far as hearing the bells as minimal as you want it, pan pot
    this version...that's as close as you can get.
    And for the Biz, after all these years people
    still wonder if he's telling the truth???
    Common man! Afrika Bambaata had another fable years ago (1988): "Give the Drummer Some" by
    Little Milton....Was looking for this tune from 1988-1995. Turned out to be
    that Little Hooks tune.....(as I found out in 1995).
    If there only were multi-channel mastertapes of Bob James
    that could be used for a deluxe re-issue set...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

yo kon, next time youre talking to the man, ask him pretty please to snap a pic of the label..

How is he expected to take a photo of the contents of his own mind?

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    2-(1H-indol-3-yl)-N,N-dimethylethanamine + CTI 6043 = mardigras without the bells

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I am the Euroman who asked last year.

And we did the interview, it was around 40 Min. long. We videotaped everything. We will soon start the editing process and I can assure you that it will clear up many many things.

He had a lot of interessting details to tell from the CTI and the post-CTI era. He was very astounded to still hear from this bell-less Mardi Gras 12".

He even had certain things to say in the direction of Biz Markie.

I hope we can finish the editing process in a couple of weeks.

I'll post the stuff here when we are finished.

Peace

I am the Euroman

since US-strutterman has had some difficulty over the years shedding real light on this situation, im hoping maybe euroman might come through.. looking forward to the next episode!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I hope we can finish the editing process in a couple of weeks

Hi F***,

are you kidding? The whole world wants to hear what Bob has to say, so stop editing all these German rappers and get this stuff outta here....

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    i actually have the bells that were used in bob james version.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    There were actually 3 bells that were used in the recording. Kon has 2 and I have the other one. It came in a cti briefcase that resembles Louis Vuitton. I'm not joking....

There were actually 3 bells that were used in the recording. Kon has 2 and I have the other one. It came in a cti briefcase that resembles Louis Vuitton. I'm not joking....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Well, well...I kidnapped Bob James! Beat that!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    My dad was the news guy on the radio part at the beginning, "Rise & Shine".

It came in a cti briefcase that resembles Louis Vuitton.

MUST SEE VISUAL EVIDENCE OF YOU HOLDING CTI SUITCASE IN ONE HAND AND BOB JAMES' BELLS IN THE OTHER

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

MUST SEE VISUAL EVIDENCE OF YOU HOLDING CTI SUITCASE IN ONE HAND AND BOB JAMES' BELLS IN THE OTHER

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BOB-JAMES-Mardi-Gras...#ht_2710wt_1139

Honestly this is probably what Biz has. He kept bragging to me about his Thin Lizzy "Johnny the Fox" 12"s and he showed them to me and they were bootlegs like this one. Cool to have I guess but not legit records.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOB-JAMES-Mardi-Gras...#ht_2710wt_1139

Honestly this is probably what Biz has. He kept bragging to me about his Thin Lizzy "Johnny the Fox" 12"s and he showed them to me and they were bootlegs like this one. Cool to have I guess but not legit records.

I think he has the one I poasted a pic of earlier... i'm pretty sure a few people told me they saw it at his house (Cash, Paul Nice & I think somebody else IIRC). The thing is, people have HEARD it without the bells and some people reportedly have seen the actual CTI promo 12" but as far as I know nobody has seen it AND heard it playing without the bells at the same time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You want "Mardi Gras" w/o the bells?

Ok, fine

Drums? Ja.
    Bells? Ingen.

• I vaguely remember when the legend of MGWTB first surfaced it was that there was an extended mix with a 4 or 2 bar drum break BEFORE THE BELLS CAME IN.

All this panning stuff...

CTI-6005 - Sugar - Stanley Turrentine [12/70] (3-71, #182) Impressions/Sugar/Sunshine Alley

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

CTI-6005 - Sugar - Stanley Turrentine [12/70] (3-71, #182) Impressions/Sugar/Sunshine Alley

,,,,, is the above pic just some photo-shop bullshit?? Are you saying the above release number is actually for another album??

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    You want "Mardi Gras" w/o the bells?

Ok, fine

Drums? Ja.
    Bells? Ingen.

Despite the insane amount of Sp*tn*cks records I wade through over here I've never seen a copy of this. Mildly annoyed, but then again breakbeatraer is sooo 2004 for me. Hah.