Mardi Gras without the bells?

Comments

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Does Biz ever let anyone into "the mythical toy house where he keeps the 164 versions of Get Out My Life Woman"

nosy question but I love to hear an anecdote about tea and biscuits with the biz.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Does Biz ever let anyone into "the mythical toy house where he keeps the 164 versions of Get Out My Life Woman"

nosy question but I love to hear an anecdote about tea and biscuits with the biz.

If someone would post more stories about biz I would make a blog out of it. I could read that shit all day long.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    more stories about biz

here we go

• rpmrpm 144 Posts

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

thats fucking awesome. Someone needs to make a shirt of this now.

• thats fucking awesome. Someone needs to make a shirt of this now.

I'll have an L on a yellow shirt please

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    i just mentioned that to dCastle.
    I got the vector file so making a screen would be easy if someone has the shit to do it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

thats fucking awesome. Someone needs to make a shirt of this now.

I'll take a XXL, please.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    That was my Amazon review btw, and I don't know where that youtube clip originated from but it's definitely NOT from the DVD version I was talking about.
    That clip actually sounds pretty good - like it COULD actually be mardi gras w/out the bells.
    The DVD I have uses a track from the Wild Style Breakbeat Album.
    Not sure of the name, but it was the song with the bells on it.
    It was edited VERY sloppily into the Flash scene.
    The youtube clip here does a much better job.
    Plot thickens.

EDIT:

Also:
    Biz finally played me the alleged copy of the bell-less mardi gras over the phone.
    I had him play it over for me a few times while I set up my Radio Shack telephone recorder.
    So, I have audio proof! Although VERY low and muddled.
    It still might not satisfy skeptics.
    I'll see about posting it tomorrow.

Alright eryone, let me put this to rest. Apparently when Bob James wouldnt clear Mardi Gras on the original DVD, someone hooked up some pretty weak stuff to replace it. When Charlie was gearing up for the DVD re-release, Freddie contacted my boy and his production parter to hook up a Mardi-Gras-like joint to dub in. I put him onto to this thread, and he appreciates the kind words. So for the record, this is not Mardi Gras without the bells, its an original joint by the production duo illfonics. He's supposed to send me the mp3 tonight, I'll post it then.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    still.
    good.

• What's up people?

A friend of mine told me about this thread so here I am.

Let me put all of this discussion to rest.

I guess it was 2001 or early 2002. Fab hit me up and said that he and Charlie were having a lot of trouble clearing Mardi Gras and they had to take another route.
    I was familiar with the VHS version that had been going around where they had "flown in" one of the wild style break beats in place of Mardi Gras, cause it was their only option at the time. He explained that he was really unhappy with the result and that he and Charlie wanted to have a new beat put in that would have the same vibe as mardi gras.
    He and I met at Nick Quested's production house in the ville and discussed over tea and biscuits (true).
    At the time I was working with my boy Jedrex, currently of Illfonics and we made the beat in maybe 1 or 2 nights. We got the master audio of that scene from Charlie, put it in a logic session and built the beat to fit in perfectly with flash's performance. You are right that we left the toms in that he uses to cut back and forth, HOWEVER, the beat is COMPLETELY original. It is not Mardi Gras panned this way and that and phase reversed etc. We spent nuff time sliding the drum hits around in time to get a live feel similar to mardi gras. You hear the crowd noise in the backround? I think I got that from some generic sound fx CD (probably called "crowd") and just eqed and processed it to sound like the original.

Jedrex hit me and asked me to find the session which is on DVD back-up somewhere. Once I do I'll post some sounds to show how we put it together. I'm using a completely different rig now, meaning that I don't have the same plug ins I used for that. I think they were mostly Waves.

Our 'deal' with Charlie and Fab was that we would get credit on the DVD. We were just excited to be a part of a movie we had been into for so long. A sure shot classic. I was sad to get the call from Charlie saying that Rhino had already done the menus etc and wasn't putting in any DVD credit. SO, they came to our pad with some signed Wild Style movie posters (from a german release I believe), a stack of DVD's, Wild Style soundtrack CD's and later we got copies of Charlie's book "Yes, Yes, Ya'll."

I haven't thought about that little beat in ages so it was fun to find this thread.
    Thanks to those that liked it and to those that didn't, well, whatevs.
    We did the best we could!

Peace,
    Eli

Oh, this is my first post. Let me use one of these fun little things like..

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Wait for it ...

not yet ...

oh yeah, you can feel it coming ...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Eli? Is this fever one's boy I met when spinning at APT?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Hey E Asher Epstein-

Thanks for coming here to let us know the real deal, it is appreciated. As one of the dudes who said he was not feelin' the replacement Mardi Gras beat earlier in this thread, let me just clarify that my feelings really weren't about the beat you made... actually it's a pretty nice damn beat. It's just that I am one of those old and bitter hip hop purist dudes who does not like change ... I would not have been happy with ANY beat replacing the original Mardi Gras beat. No reflection at all on you and your work- considering that a change had to be made for legal reasons, whether people like me dig it or not, you did a real good job with it IMO.

• Hooray for

Dee, I have no memory but I did do Thursdays with my homie Duane from negroclash for a year or so. The early days of APT! You came with Fever? I think I remember that night, actually.

and I have to say that the FIRST thing I said to Fab was, "there's no way you can clear Mardi Gras??"

Believe me I am a purist as well and wanted to see it presented in it's original form. It came down to money apparently and it was a LOT of money. They just couldn't afford to do it.

I remember when Jed and I saw that post on Amazon about "horrible results" etc.
    We just kind of laughed and were like "Well, you can't please everybody!"

BTW I have to give total credit on the feel of the drums to JEDREX. He is the ghost note master. His new team "Illfonics" will certainly be blowing up in the near future.

Peace to all.
    and of course:

BTW, I'm glad I found this site. This shit rocks.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think you did a pretty good job with that replacement, Epstein.

Can you shed some light on who was the actual killjoy? Bob James or Paul Simon?

And where's Paul Nice with that Biz telephone proof of the bell-less Mardi Gras?

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    I think you did a pretty good job with that replacement, Epstein.

• Thanks Dudes,

I do remember something about Paul Simon. I think that was the source of the obscenely high license fee (around 20K if I remember correctly)

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    And where's Paul Nice with that Biz telephone proof of the bell-less Mardi Gras?

we dont believe you biz..

seriously, of all the collectors in the world that we know of both personally and not at all...how is it biz is the only guy with this 45 ?

• lord234lord234 236 Posts

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

seriously, of all the collectors in the world that we know of both personally and not at all...how is it biz is the only guy with this 45 ?

If any of the collectors in the world that we know both personally and not at all...Biz would be the buy to have it!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

There is an edit on 45, I think it was promo-only and I KNOW I'm not the only one who has it... I can't remember if it was panned to the one side on the intro or if it was just 'more pannable' but its STILL not just the drums...

Its a 12" thats purported to be owned by the one Biz in question... and yeah, other folks would have come across it by now. THE SUITCASE IS REAL THOUGH>

There is an edit on 45, I think it was promo-only and I KNOW I'm not the only one who has it... I can't remember if it was panned to the one side on the intro or if it was just 'more pannable' but its STILL not just the drums...

Its a 12" thats purported to be owned by the one Biz in question... and yeah, other folks would have come across it by now. THE SUITCASE IS REAL THOUGH>

until paul can actually vouch, i will say this...i know a cat who worked directly with creed taylor for cti. all of this had benn gone over waaay back then, and still no version of mardi gras with JUST the drums had turned up. im still waiting.

• As much as I would like to believe Biz.......

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    Bob James hooked this up for Sampleur-Sampl?? which posts mp3 comparisons of sampled tune vs original.

I'd be really surprised if he was the kill joy.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Wasn't someone here (Ein Euroman) interviewing Bob James late last year/early this year and was going to pop the muhfugging quest-i-own-ay?

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Wasn't someone here (Ein Euroman) interviewing Bob James late last year/early this year and was going to pop the muhfugging quest-i-own-ay?

I think he already said that Bob James wasn't aware of such a version.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    There is an early '80's re-issue of Bob James 2 that
    has a different mix of "Mardi Grass" (as well as other mixes of the other tunes). It's channels are more 'seperated' . You'll hear the bells (with the beat in the background)
    on one channel & the beat ( with the bells really quiet ) on the other channel. That's the closest you can get !!! It's that issue on Tappan Zee / Columbia (AL 36836) records without the gatefold sleeve (CTI logo is taken off the sleeve!!!). I also have that Italian 45 picture sleeve release of which a notorious seller on E-bay claimed it
    has a different mix. This is false information...

spoke to biz last night... he assssssssured me he has said 12".

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    There is an early '80's re-issue of Bob James 2 that
    has a different mix of "Mardi Grass" (as well as other mixes of the other tunes). It's channels are more 'seperated' . You'll hear the bells (with the beat in the background)
    on one channel & the beat ( with the bells really quiet ) on the other channel. That's the closest you can get !!! It's that issue on Tappan Zee / Columbia (AL 36836) records without the gatefold sleeve (CTI logo is taken off the sleeve!!!). I also have that Italian 45 picture sleeve release of which a notorious seller on E-bay claimed it
    has a different mix. This is false information...

i have both the columbia and the columbia tappan zee non gatefold repress' and they both have bells..