Mardi Gras without the bells?

TheeeCasualMaleTheeeCasualMale 2,564 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Is this it?

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that's something else, off a UBB comp.

* or are you being sarcastic?

• I'm pretty sure that's something else, off a UBB comp.

* or are you being sarcastic?

Haha, no sarcasm. Possible mega-late pass on this one but whatevers. The intro drums (two snares + tom hit) sound 100% like Mardi Gras, but then it goes into a bell-less beat with the same garbled radio broadcast noises in the background.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah the second track right?

First one is "God Made Me Funky" by the Headhunters

• Yeah the second track right?

First one is "God Made Me Funky" by the Headhunters

Yup... the one he starts cuttin' when the clock hits about 00:52.

Paging Phill.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Ok, I hear what you're saying. You can kind of hear the bells in the background? Mono, panned maybe?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Mono, panned maybe?
    or some kind of phasing?

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    It kind of sounds like someone remake it or re-edit it. There's no open hi-hat in the second bar.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    It kind of sounds like someone remake it or re-edit it. There's no open hi-hat in the second bar.

And there's a different bell pattern. I'd be interested to know what this is.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

The answer (from an Amazon review of the Rhino release of Wild Style):

"It's a shame really. This classic among classics would have otherwise received 10 stars from me (even without all the extras, which are great btw). But they butchered what has got to be the best part of the whole film... the scene where Grandmaster Flash is cutting records in his kitchen!!! In the original print, you see (and just as importantly, hear) Flash cutting up The Headhunters "God Made Me Funky" and then Bob James "Take Me To The Mardi Gras" while the film cuts back and forth to members of the Rock Steady Crew break dancing (For those not up on their samples, the Bob James tune was most famously used as the backing track to Run DMC's "Peter Piper").
    Well, my guess is that they never cleared the song for use in the film and didn't want to pay whatever it was going to cost to clear it, so...they simply cut the audio out and REPLACED it with a track made to SOUND like "Mardi Gras"[/b] .....with HORRIBLE results. They should have, at the VERY least, had a warning written somewhere on the back of the case, letting unsuspecting buyers know that this is NOT Wild Style as it was originally shown in 1983.
    I don't know how other die-hard hip hop heads out there feel about this, but to me, Rhino straight up [messed up] this film.
    ...Over 25 years old and hip hop STILL doesn't get it's proper respect...even when it's well deserved as in this case."

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    fuck.

• a track made to SOUND like "Mardi Gras"[/b] .....with HORRIBLE results.

By HORRIBLE i hope they mean

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    a track made to SOUND like "Mardi Gras"[/b] .....with HORRIBLE results.

Yeah, it's not bad, but I see his point. If you look closely, you can see that the audio doesn't synch perfectly with the video. Whatever. I have the Rhino version, and it doesn't really detract from my ability to enjoy the film.

That I have it on VHS instead of DVD? Now THAT detracts from my ability to enjoy the film.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

For real, where the hell is THAT version available?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    it doesn't really detract from my ability to enjoy the film

the original scene is one of the key scenes to me. It is actually my favourite part of the movie and I am still trying to get my vhs copy back of the tv screening on German television from 10 years back. I hate this new version. I don't even think it was bob james who intervened, it was probably some label politics. I also think there is even another version where they cut some other track from the wildstyle soundtrack over this scene. In any way, I personally find it horrible and def. not hard as f*ck. Now I want my tape back, but the exgirl of my homie still has it and so far I wasn't able to get it back. DAMN!!! I want my bells!!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

the original scene is one of the key scenes to me. It is actually my favourite part of the movie and I am still trying to get my vhs copy back of the tv screening on German television from 10 years back. I hate this new version. I don't even think it was bob james who intervened, it was probably some label politics. I also think there is even another version where they cut some other track from the wildstyle soundtrack over this scene. In any way, I personally find it horrible and def. not hard as f*ck. Now I want my tape back, but the exgirl of my homie still has it and so far I wasn't able to get it back. DAMN!!! I want my bells!!

Yeah... Flash cutting up Mardi Gras and Headhunters in the kitchen was definitely one of the highlights of the movie, if not THE highlight. That psuedo Mardi Gras beat is not getting it. Blame Bob James and his non-sample clearing ass.
    If you can find the original VHS version it has the bells intact.

Now what I'm after is some of the Wildstyle footage that didn't make the movie. Like this "delected" scene here... was this from the dvd version or did somebody just unearth some stuff from the cutting room floor?

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts

Yeah... Flash cutting up Mardi Gras and Headhunters in the kitchen was definitely one of the highlights of the movie, if not THE highlight. That psuedo Mardi Gras beat is not getting it. Blame Bob James and his non-sample clearing ass.
    If you can find the original VHS version it has the bells intact.

Now what I'm after is some of the Wildstyle footage that didn't make the movie. Like this "delected" scene here... was this from the dvd version or did somebody just unearth some stuff from the cutting room floor?

I've read all the stories about Ahearn having stuff sitting in cans in a warehouse somewhere but it's not financially worthwhile to unleash this stuff on the world
    SOMEBODY needs to rescue those delected scenes, yo!

more lost funky fresh footage (not Wildstyle though):

Bob had nothing to do with it.. It was Paul Simon who pulled the scene as he owns the rights too it. Also Phil reguarding the lost footage, they have said that it's not worth it for them, but he's maintained the whole time if someone gets a grant or whatever and is working on a project, they're more then welcome to go through the wherehouse. I can't believe nobody has, but he's defenitely said someone can go through the stuff, he just won't do it.

Bob had nothing to do with it.. It was Paul Simon who pulled the scene as he owns the rights too it.

Right, I hear you... I'm so used to hearing stories about Bob James not clearing samples that I was thinking he was the culprit in this case, too.

Also Phil reguarding the lost footage, they have said that it's not worth it for them, but he's maintained the whole time if someone gets a grant or whatever and is working on a project, they're more then welcome to go through the wherehouse. I can't believe nobody has, but he's defenitely said someone can go through the stuff, he just won't do it.

I remember reading about that whole deal (was it in Wax Po or someplace?) but I forget the particulars. Wasn't it a thing where he has to pay a grip to get it out of storage or something? Otherwise, sheeeeiiiit... if it's just a matter of going to scoop the tapes up out of the warehouse I'm down to do this! Gotta be more to it, otherwise I'm sure somebody would've rescued the footage by now. Even if the stuff that didn't make the movie isn't all that hot, that schitt still should be made available just for historical purposes even if it's not worth much commercially. There's barely any footage of the original old school hip hop pioneers that even exists, That schitt is

BTW, FunkyFlat- you in Philly, right? You got more comic books than a mutha, you want some more for cheap? A lot of classic 80s stuff- X-Men, Frank Miller Wolverine & Daredevil, Alpha Flight, so on and so forth. PM me if you're interested at all... I gotta get rid of this schitt

^well as far as I know you have to liscence it before you can look right? Or have a grant or something. I don't think you can just go. If anyone here's made a documentary or something please speak up on how you get to see all the good stuff.

Hey phil you know a lot about that era. Let's make a documentary. How hard can it be? (besides freetime .. then we can go get it.

p.s. I do have mo comic books than a muthafucka (that's from boyz in the hood btw) but there's nothing i'd rather do then get rid of them, haven't bought one in ten years. If you find a place let me know.

^well as far as I know you have to liscence it before you can look right? Or have a grant or something. I don't think you can just go. If anyone here's made a documentary or something please speak up on how you get to see all the good stuff.

I don't get it though... what's the deal, does Ahearn not own the footage anymore? I can't remember the details or where I read about it at. Let me get my google on so I can see what it's all about

p.s. I do have mo comic books than a muthafucka (that's from boyz in the hood btw)

worrrd? i was just looking at that flick again the other day. i don't remember that line though. i don't remember much these days. could this mean i'm getting old?

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    That was my Amazon review btw, and I don't know where that youtube clip originated from but it's definitely NOT from the DVD version I was talking about.
    That clip actually sounds pretty good - like it COULD actually be mardi gras w/out the bells.
    The DVD I have uses a track from the Wild Style Breakbeat Album.
    Not sure of the name, but it was the song with the bells on it.
    It was edited VERY sloppily into the Flash scene.
    The youtube clip here does a much better job.
    Plot thickens.

EDIT:

Also:
    Biz finally played me the alleged copy of the bell-less mardi gras over the phone.
    I had him play it over for me a few times while I set up my Radio Shack telephone recorder.
    So, I have audio proof! Although VERY low and muddled.
    It still might not satisfy skeptics.
    I'll see about posting it tomorrow.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Hey phil you know a lot about that era. Let's make a documentary.

do it. I'd buy it. And for my friends.

• ..I had him play it over for me a few times while I set up my Radio Shack telephone recorder.

LOL! Looking forward to hearing it!

BTW, I think they took the second, not the immediate beginning of mardi grass and
    phase-invert the thing. Cuz besides the bells you can also hear that other
    percussion instrument. It hink its called a "tam-pan"?
    And I think they used the god made me funky kick and snare to layer over the mardi grass cuz the mardigrass phase inverted sounds a bit low on volume...
    Just my 2c.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts

The answer (from an Amazon review of the Rhino release of Wild Style):

"It's a shame really. This classic among classics would have otherwise received 10 stars from me (even without all the extras, which are great btw). But they butchered what has got to be the best part of the whole film... the scene where Grandmaster Flash is cutting records in his kitchen!!! In the original print, you see (and just as importantly, hear) Flash cutting up The Headhunters "God Made Me Funky" and then Bob James "Take Me To The Mardi Gras" while the film cuts back and forth to members of the Rock Steady Crew break dancing (For those not up on their samples, the Bob James tune was most famously used as the backing track to Run DMC's "Peter Piper").
    Well, my guess is that they never cleared the song for use in the film and didn't want to pay whatever it was going to cost to clear it, so...they simply cut the audio out and REPLACED it with a track made to SOUND like "Mardi Gras"[/b] .....with HORRIBLE results. They should have, at the VERY least, had a warning written somewhere on the back of the case, letting unsuspecting buyers know that this is NOT Wild Style as it was originally shown in 1983.
    I don't know how other die-hard hip hop heads out there feel about this, but to me, Rhino straight up [messed up] this film.
    ...Over 25 years old and hip hop STILL doesn't get it's proper respect...even when it's well deserved as in this case."

Isn't there an original VHS release of Wild Style with Bob James intact?

Isn't there an original VHS release of Wild Style with Bob James intact?

I have an Danish ex-rental VHS from a video store with the original mix movieboxen.blogspot.com

Not sure if there ever was a commercial release, tho...

Post deleted by FunkyFlatulent

panned

Original version of "Flowers" by Ghostface, I think Alchemist produced it..

http://www.wutang-corp.com/shared/mp3/ghostface_killah-flowers_(original)-wutangcorp.mp3

• spcspc 534 Posts
    That was my Amazon review btw, and I don't know where that youtube clip originated from but it's definitely NOT from the DVD version I was talking about.
    That clip actually sounds pretty good - like it COULD actually be mardi gras w/out the bells.
    The DVD I have uses a track from the Wild Style Breakbeat Album.
    Not sure of the name, but it was the song with the bells on it.
    It was edited VERY sloppily into the Flash scene.
    The youtube clip here does a much better job.
    Plot thickens.

EDIT:

Also:
    Biz finally played me the alleged copy of the bell-less mardi gras over the phone.
    I had him play it over for me a few times while I set up my Radio Shack telephone recorder.
    So, I have audio proof! Although VERY low and muddled.
    It still might not satisfy skeptics.
    I'll see about posting it tomorrow.

Any update?