Jazzstrut: NYC

tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Seeking some jazz advice. ...My friend is in town from Holland with his father, who is a jazz drummer, and they want to know what spots to check out while they are in town. He's not interested in the big-name tourist spots, or any of the high-dollar venues. He wants the hole-in-the-wall, smaller joints ??? preferrably with open jam sessions.I'm no jazz expert, and I've never heard him play, so I'm not sure exactly what style he's looking for, but I do know that when I mentioned the likes of Albert Ayler, Pharoah Sanders, William Parker, Marshall Allen and such, his face lit up. It doesn't have to be on the free side, as long as it's authentic and genuine. Looking for any recommendations any of the NY cats on the board might be able to throw my way. This is a scene from which I am mad disconnected, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. They are here until the 30th. Thanks, as always, in advance. ...

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    My favorite spot used to be Small's in the Village, near 7th Ave. Small, dimly lit, underground, it used to be 10 dollar cover, jazz all night, you could get away with a little burning and it was BYOB. They even let you run to the store for more beer, and there was free water and juice. Of course, it no longer exists in this form. When it closed, like around '03 i wanna say, someone bought the space and the name. I believe they no longer go as late, and its 10 plus 10 minimum on drinks. I have not been since it reopened, but it is definitely a very cool space, off the beaten path, and a world away from tourist-jazz cattle-drives like Blue Note or Iridium...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Seeking some jazz advice. ...

My friend is in town from Holland with his father, who is a jazz drummer, and they want to know what spots to check out while they are in town. He's not interested in the big-name tourist spots, or any of the high-dollar venues. He wants the hole-in-the-wall, smaller joints ??? preferrably with open jam sessions.

I'm no jazz expert, and I've never heard him play, so I'm not sure exactly what style he's looking for, but I do know that when I mentioned the likes of Albert Ayler, Pharoah Sanders, William Parker, Marshall Allen and such, his face lit up. It doesn't have to be on the free side, as long as it's authentic and genuine. Looking for any recommendations any of the NY cats on the board might be able to throw my way. This is a scene from which I am mad disconnected, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

They are here until the 30th. Thanks, as always, in advance. ...

We used to have a lot of this at The Lucky Cat but all those herbal tea/1 red wine every 3 hours drinkers will put you out of business quick smart. Hence the only places that really thrive are $20 cover plus mandatory dinner and in Manhattan. And often S.M.O.O.T.H. Maybe check Zebulon (Wburg) or Park Slope somewhere, but forget about the open jam part.

For freer styles, check Gold Sparkle Trio if they are around at the moment. Seems like this scene was bubbling a few years ago but now most of the musicians want to get rent paying gigs. Not to mention the venues!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the knitting factory and
    ck the village voice for listings

downtown music gallery
    342 Bowery, New York, NY 10012 - (212) 473-0043and to look for records/cds and club listings in the free music journals/rags upfront as you walk in on the floor

with any luck you should be able to find some free jazz-test,daniel carter,william parker,rashid ali,william hooker,sabir mateen playing somewhere soon

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The Village Vanguard
    The Blue Note

Legendary spots, saw two of the best shows of my life at these spots. Expand from there.