The '07 Summer Jam Poast

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Natasha - Hey Hey Hey

I don't love it, but I don't hate it, and in-between the handclaps, Gwen Stefani/Fergie swagger jack, catchy flutes, and becky appeal I'm hearing giant summer jam.

Dudes, "swagger jack" is not the same as "bite".

That is to say, swaggerless individuals like Gwen Stefani and Fergie can't get swagger jacked.

"Buy Me A Drank" is this summer's Summer Jam unless it can't carry itself all the way through the summer. It's certainly been the Spring Jam.

No doubt.

But Double Up is THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE SUMMER.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    SEAN KINGSTON "BEAUTIFULL GIRL"

catnip for the beckys and marias

PLEASE NO.

I think in order for a Summer Jam to be a Summer Jam, it's gotta be a hit "on the streets" as well, not strictly in Becky's public mind gardens. The remix with Sheek Louch (surprisingly) fails to give this song the street cred it so richly deserves and needs.

Seriously, the remix with Sheek makes this already awful, nauseating song even that much worse.

"Buy Me A Drank" is this summer's Summer Jam unless it can't carry itself all the way through the summer. It's certainly been the Spring Jam.

-e

I agree it's totally corny but that's sort of requirment for a summer jam. And yo, of all the rap dudes to be on that track you got Sheek on it? WOW! Woudn't Chamillionaire or Baby Bash be more suiting for said remix? Regardless, it's not just for the beckys its really big on 94.9, which has a huge latino listening audience.

I prefer T-Pain or Kells though for thee summer jump-off.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i thought one recent consensus summer jam was a mariah carey single so why would street cred be important??

baby bash would sound best on this. i have no problem w/ cheese but its kind of a boring song

i thought one recent consensus summer jam was a mariah carey single so why would street cred be important??

baby bash would sound best on this. i have no problem w/ cheese but its kind of a boring song

STREETZ HAVE A PLACE FOR MARIAH

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

but not a babyface faux-ja singer on a track called 'beautiful girls'?? that'll be the day

but not a babyface faux-ja singer on a track called 'beautiful girls'?? that'll be the day

Dude, if you can't hear the difference between that Sean Kingston joint and a SOUL CLASSIC like "We Belong Together" (yeah, I said it), then I don't even know what to say to you.

We've already established that you don't party. I'm beginning to wonder about what other things you don't do.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Dude, if you can't hear the difference between that Sean Kingston joint and a SOUL CLASSIC like "We Belong Together" (yeah, I said it), then I don't even know what to say to you.

We've already established that you don't party. I'm beginning to wonder about what other things you don't do.
    no question about quality the mariah is a classic for all time and this is tossed off but we're talking STREET CRED

• Natasha - Hey Hey Hey

I don't love it, but I don't hate it, and in-between the handclaps, Gwen Stefani/Fergie swagger jack, catchy flutes, and becky appeal I'm hearing giant summer jam.

Dudes, "swagger jack" is not the same as "bite".

That is to say, swaggerless individuals like Gwen Stefani and Fergie can't get swagger jacked.

Thunns, I use that phrase becuase I think it's funny, but I'm learning that it's taken so seriously on the internet.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    fergalicious had some t-a-s-t-e-y swagger

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

no question about quality the mariah is a classic for all time and this is tossed off but we're talking STREET CRED

Where were you living when that Mariah joint dropped, dude? It was in every single car and club in Philly at the time. Perhaps you forgot that girls comprise a significant portion of "THE STREETS" too.

Funnily enough, wasn't there a remix with Styles and Jada?

There's no way that Sean Kingston track will be the summer jam though. It's just too corny.

-e

Where were you living when that Mariah joint dropped, dude?

Deej's excessive time spent isolated within the walls of his own mindgarden revealed!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Where were you living when that Mariah joint dropped, dude? It was in every single car and club in Philly at the time. Perhaps you forgot that girls comprise a significant portion of "THE STREETS" too.

There's no way that Sean Kingston track will be the summer jam though. It's just too corny.

-e
    uh wtf dude? i'm entirely aware that shit was everywhere. yr the one all 'girls =/ the streets, even sheek louch couldn't save it!!!'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yes yes i know jadakiss on the remix >>> sheek on the remix
    just sayin, street cred has shit to do w/ the sean kingston's song's problems

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

-e
    uh wtf dude? i'm entirely aware that shit was everywhere. yr the one all 'girls =/ the streets, even sheek louch couldn't save it!!!'

No that's not what I said... or, at least, not what I meant to communicate.

Bringing up Sheek was a joke, really. His presence on a song is never going to push anything into Summer Jam status and the only reason I brought it up is because it's laughable that he's on that song.

The point is, this Sean Kingston song is a song for Becky's. And Becky-only approval does not a Summer Jam make. Now Becky-approval is an indicator that a certain jammy has reached a certain ubiquitous status, but Becky-approval alone is not enough to make a Summer Jam a Summer Jam. If "the streets" ain't feelin it, it's not likely to be a Summer Jam--unless of course we're talking about Fall Out Boy or some other band I know nothing about.

I admit that I could be wrong about this Sean Kingston song being Becky-only, but I doubt it.

-e

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

-e

You have to speak Deej... in his world "STREET CRED = While he was Jogging"

Its confusing, I know.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    and in 33thrds world street creed = doesnt use keyboard beats
    also i have never made any claims about what has street cred and what doesnt, i just said a reggaeton song will be getting play in my neighborhood. you read into that what you wanted to

but n-e-way, yr using 'beckys' very broadly and in a way i am unfamiliar with to refer to 'girls who like girly music'

i thought folks around here used beckys to refer to fans of 'pour some sugar on me' or folks who still request "Yeah!"

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

but n-e-way, yr using 'beckys' very broadly and in a way i am unfamiliar with to refer to 'girls who like girly music'

Becky's = white girls who like corny music

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

-e
    ok. you don't think nonwhite girls will like sean kingston?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

-e

a few, but its obviously geared to the beckys

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

-e

Only non-whites with Becky tendencies. It's a gimmicky reggae-ish songs which are usually bonafied Becky anthems.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    eh u could be right. i could see this working with the lip gloss crowd tho

• I was thinking about this the other day and I think 'Loso got it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I think "The Pocket" by Tabi Bonney got it.

I was thinking about this the other day and I think 'Loso got it.

Definitely in New York.

I think "The Pocket" by Tabi Bonney got it.

fashion rap

who/where can find a definitive list of the singles released from June 21 (first day of summer) through today? that way we can see the candidates, argue their merits in a civil and respectful way, and settle democratically on an selection.

seriously though can we see a list of candidates?

who/where can find a definitive list of the singles released from June 21 (first day of summer) through today?

Summer jamz are often released well in advance of June 21st--up to several years in advance in the case of reggae.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

-e
    humboldt park disagrees, kingston is errywhere

you right.

well someone's gotta pick an arbitrary late spring date and make a list.