How to pronounce "baile" plaese?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2005 in Strut Central
Given my recent Johnny Colon gaff, I wanted to get my homework done right: just how does one properly pronounce "baile" - as in "baile funk"? I'm assuming it's like bye-aye-leh? Or is it more like bail-eh?Any Brazilian buffs out there?

Comments

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

i've heard someone pronounce it buy-ee. but i'm not sure they knew what they were talking about.

• more like bail-eh, with the "ai" part being pronounced more like "bye" then "braille", if that makes any sense!

• more like bail-eh, with the "ai" part being pronounced more like "bye" then "braille", if that makes any sense!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    buylay

• buylay

• buylay

gaff

'gaffe'

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    BAH-ee-leh

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I think it's pronounced "DIP-lo JAWN-ra da JURE"

O-Dub, you doing an audio review of either of these?

Rio Baile Funk: Favela Booty Beats 12"
    Funk Carioca LP

I checked the samples on TTLab and was quite interested but they were out of stock.

So is "Baile Funk" the next "Reggaeton" for the purposes of our determining its worthiness of a genre tag?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

So is "Baile Funk" the next "Reggaeton" for the purposes of our determining its worthiness of a genre tag?

Haha, that's great. For my money Baille funk kicks the tar outa reggaeton. So much hyper, and it doesn't have that post-dancehall taint.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Given my recent Johnny Colon gaff, I wanted to get my homework done right: just how does one properly pronounce "baile" - as in "baile funk"?

I'm assuming it's like bye-aye-leh? Or is it more like bail-eh?

Any Brazilian buffs out there?

See Cypress Hill's "Latin Lingo" for references.

so when you see me at the party or the baile

Before I got here I was gaffled in the calle

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    buylay

Which also happens to be Daze' solution to his unfortunate romantic life.

• buylay

Heeeyoooo! Hot coffee coming through.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    buylay

Whew - now I'm glad our female Stutters didn't weigh in on how to pronounce "Rag-A-Ton."

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    buylay

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• I have a Baile Funk cd that says on the cover that it's pronounced "buy-lee." Also that Cypress Hill reference is incorrect because baile is Portuguese not Spanish...

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    It??s mostly like "BAH-ee-leh"

Ginsburger: baile is a Spanish word too, and it means the same in both languages.

Peace

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    buy lay

seconded. its just that simple!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Just got back from 9 sunny days in Rio so this shit is straight from the source.

Nobody calls it Baile at all (after listening to the shit all week I still don't know how to pronounce Baile).

They refer to that music simply as "funky," pronounced - you guessed it - "fun'-kee"

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Just got back from 9 sunny days in Rio so this shit is straight from the source.

Nobody calls it Baile at all (after listening to the shit all week I still don't know how to pronounce Baile).

They refer to that music simply as "funky," pronounced - you guessed it - "fun'-kee"

FUUUUUN-keee

thanks Bro!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

O-Dub, you doing an audio review of either of these?

Rio Baile Funk: Favela Booty Beats 12"
    Funk Carioca LP

I'm reviewing the M.I.A. album and baile funk is one of the (many) influences that goes into the LP's musical mish-mash.

On that note, the more challenging pronounciation is probably "Arulpragasm". I've been practicing it every chance I get and it's still a tongue-twister.

Oliver

• L is most def silent. Like when the Spanish serve you lots and lots of rice and call it "Paella"!!!! (sp?)

• The "Baile Funk" mixes (vol. 1 and 2) from the guys who do brazilian sundays at Black Betty in Bkln are the best mixes I've heard in a while. Rediculously funkee.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    L is most def silent. Like when the Spanish serve you lots and lots of rice and call it "Paella"!!!! (sp?)
    "ll" in spanish is NOT "silent" it is pronounced as a "y". Don't know about silent l's in hindi though.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    I have a Baile Funk cd that says on the cover that it's pronounced "buy-lee." Also that Cypress Hill reference is incorrect because baile is Portuguese not Spanish...

bailar (to dance) by-lar , baile by-lay (dance) their use is not incorrect...

it's used that way both here & in mexico...

• Dont know anything about pronounciation...

Anyways if you guys are interested in baile funk check out this film if you have the chance....

http://rosforth.com/mrcatra.htm

Dress

• "I successfully Dropped Knowledge??? on a 9 month old thread... ehhhhkkkksellent!"

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    most forums kill you if you don't search

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    most forums kill you if you don't search

That's very responsible and very true.

On Soulstrut, however, they whine either way. But, it does cut down on duplicate threads.

• The "Baile Funk" mixes (vol. 1 and 2) from the guys who do brazilian sundays at Black Betty in Bkln are the best mixes I've heard in a while. Rediculously funkee.

I believe those are ACTUALLY funky, from the rest of the world's definition. Don't get me wrong, those mixes are super dope, and Greg Caz and Sean have definitely held down Sundays at Black Better for more than a minute, maybe 3 or 4. But they are comprised mostly of 60s/70s joints, Rita Lee, Tim Maia, etc.

Baile Funk from the Brasil sense is the miami bass booty sounding schlitz, you can find it on Diplo's numerous favela mixes, and to a certain extent in MIA's muzak (for the masses). MIA has her moments but is definitely 'pop' ala buhloone midstate. I've bumped her shit. Whiles its better than a lot of hyped out crap out there, it ain't an absolute classic. IMHO, of course.

Anywaze DJ Marlboro is the Godfather of that scene (back to baile funk), been doing it for over a decade. I got to seem him spinning before/after a MIA show and he destroyed shit. These portuguese producer mofos sample crazy shit, its the wild wild west out there in terms of clearences! Anything is fair game. I've heard tracks based around the 'indiana jones' theme, and pavarotti.

The unfortunate thing is almost all the MCs cannot flow for shit. Not that I can understand them, but they all sound like the only hip hop record they ever heard was 'cars with the boom'. So imagine the delivery of a portuguese L'Trimm over some super uncleared sample with 808 booty beats and you have the essence of it. But just because its way retarded doesn't mean I can't get behind it, in fact, quite the opposite.

Not a lot on wax, mostly a CD scene, like bhangra. Aside from those import comps. I did score a brazilian press of an EP by DJ Marlboro from '94 at the last FMU fair. I wish I could say its a , but in reality there's only one decent track on it. But it's the only brazilian pressing on wax that I've seen, would like to know if more are out there.

$??