Mid-Week deegs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Soul Jazz comps are nothing to sadface over. It takes many years (the right years) of living in a reggae-induced city (Toronto, London, New York, Miami, Boston and JA itself) to come up on those tracks (and even then, you'd have to approach it from the dealing/collecting aspect). I'm still looking for a couple of those tracks - notablly The Black Brothers "School Children" off the Roots comp.

The pictures stem from my frustrations of buying vinyl online -I wanted an interaction that more simulated the store experience....and I guess that philosophy follows in my weekend finds. That, and I'm an outright nerd who loves to talk music/records any chance I can get.

K>

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    VHS diggin' is the shit...

I'm way to lazy at the moment to take good pictures, but here's some quickies juts to prove that i'm not one of these lying bastard!

The full list :
    Eric Framond - Musique A Show - MP2000 - 197x
    Janko Nilovic - Classical Phases - MP2000 - 197x
    Janko Nilovic & J.J. Debout - Music Bazaar - Telemusic - 1969
    Pierre Dutour & Co - Romance In Paris Vol.2- MP2000 - 197x
    Herve Roy - French Pop - Telemusic - 1970
    Simon Park & A. Valotti - Black Sun - Hudson Music - 1980
    P.A. Dahan & Co - Dramascope - Telemusic - 1985
    Bob Elger And His Orchestra - Pop Slop - Selected Sound 9001 - 197x
    Heinz Funk - Signal And Bridges In Music - Selected Sound 9101 - 1982
    Fabio Fabor - Abstraction, Suspense et Mystere - Sonimage 809 - 1973
    Carlo Rustichelli - Bebo's Girl - Capitol - 197x
    Kaleidoscope #1 - Images D'Italie - Orly SBV 313 - 197x
    Claude Perraudin - Energie - Patchwork #34 - 197x
    Alessandro Alessandrini - Guitar Poetry - Colorsound CS11 - 197x
    Caravelli - Laisse-Moi T'Aimer - CBS - 1968
    OST - vortex (The Score From...) - Neutral - 1982
    Lamont Dozier - Black Bach - ABC records - 1974
    Walter Jackson - Greatest Hits - Okeh Records - 197x
    Andre gagnon - Saga - London Records - 1974
    Various Selected Sound Artists - Patchwork Party - Selected Sound - 1978
    Janko Nilovic & Dave Sucky - Psyc' Impressions - MP2000 - 197x (the pink cover pressing...)
    The Musical Volunteers - World War One - DeWolfe Music - 196x (78rpm)
    Janko Nilovic - Tonton Roland - Neuilly - 196x (78rpm)

And some 45's for my old eardrums...

That's all folx...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

And some 45's for my old eardrums...

That's all folx...

Does it bum out all you other Americans like me that the Europeans were given picture sleeves of all these great soul & funk (& psych and everything else) 45's? Whassup with that?? Was it good ole American racism again, the "no black people on the covers" shit, or just that our record companies were cheaper?

btw of course, no hostility to you IZM or Europe, just sayin'...how come the US got no PS love?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    my guess is cuz these artists naturally got more exposure in the U.S. than Europe. PS's were used more in Europe as a marketing tool to spread their names' more?

alright, we'll see what the authorities gotta say.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Right off the bat, i can tell you why, but i won't speak for "europe", only for France (by the way, people have to stop using this "europe" word because such a thing is an economic construction, a market of you prefer. Being "european" means nothing at all as far as indentity, unlike being "american" means something).

The overall reason for picture sleeve is because French did not have any clue about this music. To make it "marketable", french execs decided to keep a picture sleeve for any release, arguing that since french don't speak english, since they don't understand neither the content nor the credits, since they don't know who's white, who's black, then we have to keep a picture so french have a reason to buy.

Granted, french always had a "picture sleeve tradition". Mostly because we used to give more value to a good cover than in USA. We had a crush on crazy-weird-pop-art covers. So much that it was mendatory that a record HAD to have a picture sleeve (if not, that wasn't a real one, as we used to say).

Another reason for those 45 is the fact that people was "fascinated" with Black people and Black Music in general. I feel weird typing this, but this is History as it was...The reason why Baldwin or Davis came here was that fascination for the art form more than the race factor. Those 45's pics was necessary for the white french to KNOW what they was buying. Black music as they said, then they had the proof that it was a "black" group. So far, those pics are the reason why people know Rare Earth got white people in it!!!lol...

I don't know if i made sense...i hope you got my point.

PS : i still can't believe that my "people" do not understand SHIT when they listen to ANY american song. And i mean it. 99.9% of the population.

With all due respect to France, IZM - and I appreciate your involved response - I refer to "europe" and not specifically France because many other countries across the continent used PS where America did not - scandanavian countries, eastern europe, Italy, Spain, etc, etc. Probably for the same reasons you stated for France, to identify the record in a way that eases the language barrier - we had pop PS all over the place in the US back then, like the Turtles, Beach Boys, etc...and some black artists, more pop ones like Dee Dee Sharp or some Motown artists, had sleeves. But it seems like in countries like France, and the Netherlands, every single had a PS, and to be honest, I'm just jealous.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

oh my god the kirk/cage video is so ill. it's some pbs special, i think the shows called "new sounds" or something like that, i'd have to double check. they don't perform together, but it's spliced footage of cage narrating while kirk performs. cage also builds a musical bike and kirk gives everyone in the audience slide whistles to play while he performs.

trane is footage of him performing my favorite things on german tv. i've seen it before, but needless to say it's

the "mingus" documentary is pretty crazy as well. i've seen clips of it before, but i've wanted to see the whole thing for a while. it's performances mixed with him getting evicted and playing with guns and his daughter. he was like the hunter s. thomson of jazz.

a lot of bootleg jazz dvd sites list all of this shit and i'd highly recommend ordering some if you've got any interest in any of these artists or holler if you wanna trade dubs (imma transfer some of this to dvd at some point soon too)

• Options
    People from the US are not the only americans though many would have you believe that.

K.

the "mingus" documentary is pretty crazy as well. i've seen clips of it before, but i've wanted to see the whole thing for a while. it's performances mixed with him getting evicted and playing with guns and his daughter

I saw this when I was very young, and have been wanting to see it again ever since, because it made such an impression on me at the age of 10, it was that powerful. My Pops used to take me to see old jazz flicks (most of them pretty much just OG music videos) with him all the time when I was really young...Lester Young's "Jammin' the Blues" always stuck with me, too, with the opening shot overhead closeup of his porkpie hat...Cab Calloway ones always worked for me as a kid, too, especially the animated ones with Betty Boop and shit, and dancing hypo needles as he sings about prostitutes doing heroin...

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

oh my god the kirk/cage video is so ill. it's some pbs special, i think the shows called "new sounds" or something like that, i'd have to double check. they don't perform together, but it's spliced footage of cage narrating while kirk performs. cage also builds a musical bike and kirk gives everyone in the audience slide whistles to play while he performs.

This movie is great! Kirk giving out the whistles is super next level

also I picked up a copy of this, a nice record to see in the dollar bin. It's been a while since that happened

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Eddie Palmieri - Molasses LP

Great album! The timbales on "Melao Pera el Sapo" are fire! Find Eddie's Mozambique LP and you'll hear how he plays with his rhythms through the years.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Can you say BOOM

even a father son combo of ill repute

These are both great records that I've got in the shop. Need to go grab more of the lower one. The "Ain't No Sunshine" version on the top one is TOUGH!