OLD BOY-South Korean Cinema Related

kalakala 3,358 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Late pass requestedThis flick kinda kicked assMe and my girl were taken aback at how intense the plot/script was,awesome cinematography and some unexpected twists,especially the ending.based on that we rented lady vengeance which was not as good but still entertaining.there is a 3rd flick in the trilogy which i will get this weekdid anyone else peep these?impressive to say the least

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Late pass requested
    This flick kinda kicked ass
    Me and my girl were taken aback at how intense the plot/script was,awesome cinematography and some unexpected twists,especially the ending.
    based on that we rented lady vengeance which was not as good but still entertaining.
    there is a 3rd flick in the trilogy which i will get this week
    did anyone else peep these?
    impressive to say the least

Other folks I know seemed to favor the 3rd film. "Old Boy" was decent though I found the whole "twist" at the end rather contrived but then again, I'm not sure the point of these films is to create realistic plots.

The octopus eating scene was

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The director of Old Boy has a new film out called "I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK". I'm curious to check it out. Korean movie threads are soon gonna have to be a sticky!

peace

h

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    Late pass requested
    This flick kinda kicked ass
    Me and my girl were taken aback at how intense the plot/script was,awesome cinematography and some unexpected twists,especially the ending.
    based on that we rented lady vengeance which was not as good but still entertaining.
    there is a 3rd flick in the trilogy which i will get this week
    did anyone else peep these?
    impressive to say the least

Other folks I know seemed to favor the 3rd film. "Old Boy" was decent though I found the whole "twist" at the end rather contrived but then again, I'm not sure the point of these films is to create realistic plots.

agreed on the cliche /trite /contrived factor
    but suspension of "reality " was almost immediate and par the comic book course
    i mean as soon as i saw tarrintino's name slapped on the cover i knew there would be at least a hint of gorgenzolla and or aerisol cheez whizz

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i loved this film. it had that very hard to pull off thing: very gruesome and/or twisted yet really funny all at the same time (in places). cinematography and lighting: 10/10 awesome. dialogue excellent, cool idea, story, etc. i thought the twist was very well done, and about as realistic as the rest of the film, which is to say, not very, but its essentially an urban fantasy film anyhow - very frank miller-y comic book ish, but SO damn good.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I wasn't too keen on Lady Vengeance, but Old Boy and Mr. Vengeance are very good.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I wasn't too keen on Lady Vengeance, but Old Boy and Mr. Vengeance are very good.

Yeah Lady Vengeance didn't really move me the way I expected the first time I saw it compared to the first two. However I will say that it rewards repeated viewings when you're expecting less of the sledgehammer to the face power of the first two in the trilogy.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    The director of Old Boy has a new film out called "I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK". I'm curious to check it out. Korean movie threads are soon gonna have to be a sticky!

peace

h

I actually liked "I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK" more then Lady Vengeance. I was at the North American Premiere of Lady Vengeance when it had it's first screening at the TIFF and I was a little let down. I think it was the hype, and the fact I had really enjoyed OLDBOY and SFMV, so I expected something fantastic. Mind you lady vengeance was the worst of the 3 revenge films IMO (I rank them in the order they came out, SFMV being first). What I liked about I'm a Cyborg is it was art house more so then an attempt to cash in on North American audiences. It had some surreal elements, and it wasn't corny at all. Rain actually did an amazing job as one of the leads. I pretty much started to turn my back to South Korea after The Host tried it's best to ruin the industry, but luckily Park offered something to remind my why I started watching Korean films over 10+ years ago. I might watch I'm a Cyborg again as I really took to it. My gut feeling is "I'm a Cyborg" will be hit or miss for most people as it's NOT typical PARK at all outside of the Cinematography, and it's a little too art house and surreal for a mainstream audience. I can't see this being made, remade or even attempted in North America actually. To some extent I'm surprised Park's backing allowed him to do this film as I don't see the commercial appeal outside of RAIN being in the film. The best Korean film since TIME for me, and the only film I found worth watching from South Korea in the last 6 months to a year. I've seen them all also. City of Violence, Dirty Carnival, Mr Wacky, To Sir With Love...all shit. There is one movie that was so "out there" I enjoyed it, but I don't know the English name as I watched it without sub's. The only other South Korean film I'm looking forward to this year is BREATH, and I'm praying it's going to be at the TIFF in September.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

peace

h

I actually liked "I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK" more then Lady Vengeance. I was at the North American Premiere of Lady Vengeance when it had it's first screening at the TIFF and I was a little let down. I think it was the hype, and the fact I had really enjoyed OLDBOY and SFMV, so I expected something fantastic. Mind you lady vengeance was the worst of the 3 revenge films IMO (I rank them in the order they came out, SFMV being first). What I liked about I'm a Cyborg is it was art house more so then an attempt to cash in on North American audiences. It had some surreal elements, and it wasn't corny at all. Rain actually did an amazing job as one of the leads. I pretty much started to turn my back to South Korea after The Host tried it's best to ruin the industry, but luckily Park offered something to remind my why I started watching Korean films over 10+ years ago. I might watch I'm a Cyborg again as I really took to it. My gut feeling is "I'm a Cyborg" will be hit or miss for most people as it's NOT typical PARK at all outside of the Cinematography, and it's a little too art house and surreal for a mainstream audience. I can't see this being made, remade or even attempted in North America actually. To some extent I'm surprised Park's backing allowed him to do this film as I don't see the commercial appeal outside of RAIN being in the film. The best Korean film since TIME for me, and the only film I found worth watching from South Korea in the last 6 months to a year. I've seen them all also. City of Violence, Dirty Carnival, Mr Wacky, To Sir With Love...all shit. There is one movie that was so "out there" I enjoyed it, but I don't know the English name as I watched it without sub's. The only other South Korean film I'm looking forward to this year is BREATH, and I'm praying it's going to be at the TIFF in September.

South Korean

I liked Old Boy but had no clue it was part of a trilogy. But then again I'm pretty out the loop when comes to the film, gotta keep focused on my record game.

Moss,

I finally watched "The Host" last week and I couldn't figure out what about it left you so annoyed (let alone disillusioned with Korean cinema!). I didn't think it was pristine, especially the ending, but for the most part, it didn't seem like a big disaster to me nor any less creative than other South Korean films I've seen over the last few years. I haven't seen anywhere near to what you've seen so I'm curious why "The Host" becomes this huge meltdown within that context?

peace

h

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    revenge is a motherf*cker!

i found sympathy for mr. vengeance to be his best and lady vengeance to be the weak link in his revenge trilogy.

its funny how he will use the same actors in different roles in different movies ala adam sandler & friends. haha

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Moss,

I finally watched "The Host" last week and I couldn't figure out what about it left you so annoyed (let alone disillusioned with Korean cinema!). I didn't think it was pristine, especially the ending, but for the most part, it didn't seem like a big disaster to me nor any less creative than other South Korean films I've seen over the last few years. I haven't seen anywhere near to what you've seen so I'm curious why "The Host" becomes this huge meltdown within that context?

peace

h

I can't speak for moss, but I remember him saying something to the effect that if the Host was a Hollywood film that it wouldn't get so much praise & that it gets a pass cause its Korean (please correct me if I'm wrong; it was a while back). I remember that comment particularly because it made me think about The Host in relation to other movies. I still think it was a good film, but, I have to admit, I think part of its praise comes from the fact that westerners are amazed that they aren't bored/befuddled by a foreign movie, and that its just a cause c??l??bre among film people.

Haz,

I can't dismiss that theory outright but I think it's an overly harsh criticism, not the least of which is because "The Host" - made as a Hollywood film - simply wouldn't have been identical. Some things don't quite translate - such as the comedic mourning scene in the evacuation center. That shit is hella funny within an Asian context but I doubt a Hollywood studio would have kept it; audiences here, I don't think, would quite get it (though I could perhaps imagine a similar scene involving overly emotional European immigrants or something).

Anyways...I don't think "The Host" is perfect by it hardly seemed like some bomb that self-immolated South Korean cinema. Unless of course, I'm missing some greater context which is why I was asking.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Haz,

I can't dismiss that theory outright but I think it's an overly harsh criticism, not the least of which is because "The Host" - made as a Hollywood film - simply wouldn't have been identical. Some things don't quite translate - such as the comedic mourning scene in the evacuation center. That shit is hella funny within an Asian context but I doubt a Hollywood studio would have kept it; audiences here, I don't think, would quite get it (though I could perhaps imagine a similar scene involving overly emotional European immigrants or something).

Anyways...I don't think "The Host" is perfect by it hardly seemed like some bomb that self-immolated South Korean cinema. Unless of course, I'm missing some greater context which is why I was asking.

Yo dood,

I liked it too. I haven't seen as many Korean movies as some folks here (Memories of Murder might be my fave), but I thought it represented a high point for myself in film viewing in 2006. I also liked Oldboy. From this Gwailo's perspective, it seems like things are going along quite well in Korean cinema. Moss' previous comments were food for thought, though.