Laptop buying advice needed...

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm exploring my options. All of the new PC laptops I've checked out come with Windows Vista (which I don't like), so I'm leaning toward a Mac. I'm familiar with both platforms, and my budget is $2000-ish.What do you have? What would you really like to have? What do you recommend? What should I consider before buying?Any help is appreciated.Thanks!

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    mac dude.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yeah--I guess what I'm really looking for is a good argument against buying a mac. In the absence of one, I'm going with a mac.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I am shocked that this question is being asked--only a Mac would properly complement your smug sense of entitlement.

I am shocked that this question is being asked--only a Mac would properly complement your smug sense of entitlement.
    This is the kind of information I need!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    just listen to these guys

Hmmmmm...which dude has more money?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

do you try to be shallow or is it your natural state?

do you try to be shallow or is it your natural state?
    Hey, I'm just a product and reflection of the materialistic and capitalistic American society in which we live, man.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    thats a shame and that is a total cop out ,especially if you are going to be a teacher

anyhow i didn't know you could buy a new mac laptop for 2000.00
    i thought you would be on some top end steez

i have a powerbook and a pc to run certain audio programs
    there is no comparison
    i hate windows
    it's for business clods
    by all means get a mac
    there is so much less peripheral garbage running in the backround
    not to mention you are not subject to every virus/worm and hack on the planet
    its what all the case officers at Langley use

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I hate these commercials.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

wow, kinda grumpy lately huh?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

wow, kinda grumpy lately huh?

Rey-Rey knows I am only looking out for his image.

• I am shocked that this question is being asked--only a Mac would properly complement your smug sense of entitlement.
    I was more shocked by the word "budget"

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm exploring my options. All of the new PC laptops I've checked out come with Windows Vista (which I don't like), so I'm leaning toward a Mac. I'm familiar with both platforms, and my budget is $2000-ish.

What do you have? What would you really like to have? What do you recommend? What should I consider before buying?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

IBM Thinkpad. Best notebooks on the planet: best build, best performance, best customer support. A macbook isn't really bad, but a Thinkpad is the best you can buy if you want a Windows notebook. I don't know if you can still buy them with WindowsXP installed, but that's just an one hour job.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I have a 15-inch MacBook Pro which, because I'm a grad student, I was able to pick up for around $1900. I chose that over the standard MacBook primarily because of its size. I do a lot of typing and I found the MacBook to be a bit cramped.

It seems that an Intel Mac is a no-brainer these days. You can run Windows XP very smoothly if you absolutely need to. Of course, you can always just buy Office for Mac if all you need is Word, Powerpoint, etc.

Personally, I think the MacBook Pro is just about a perfect laptop. I use it for writing, web design (it comes with Apache server software installed so, if you're so inclined, you can run database driven websites on it), audio recording and editing, video and image editing, etc. Everything runs smoothly and the physical design is both functional and attractive.

I mean, do you really want to show up at your local coffee shop with a computer that doesn't have a glowing Apple symbol? Imagine the comments. You don't want to be that guy.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    for the mac heads, did you guys purchase the applecare along w/ your laptop? worth it?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    thats a shame and that is a total cop out ,especially if you are going to be a teacher

anyhow i didn't know you could buy a new mac laptop for 2000.00
    i thought you would be on some top end steez

i have a powerbook and a pc to run certain audio programs
    there is no comparison
    i hate windows
    it's for business clods
    by all means get a mac
    there is so much less peripheral garbage running in the backround
    not to mention you are not subject to every virus/worm and hack on the planet
    its what all the case officers at Langley use

As a business clod who uses both I think Macs are overpriced if not overrated.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    for the mac heads, did you guys purchase the applecare along w/ your laptop? worth it?

Oh yes.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    IBM Lenovo[/b] Thinkpad. Best notebooks on the planet: best build, best performance, best customer support. A macbook isn't really bad, but a Thinkpad is the best you can buy if you want a Windows notebook. I don't know if you can still buy them with WindowsXP installed, but that's just an one hour job.

The keyboard on those is the best in the biz.

I agree Macs are overpriced. Another downfall is that you can pretty much only service them through Apple and maybe a few other companies. PCs, on the other hand, can be modified by almost anyone. I have a 12" Mac laptop -- opening up that on your own is like surgery.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Oh yes.

Applecare has easily paid for itself on my last two mac laptops. Not that they're more prone to break than other laptops I've used, but repairs are damn expensive.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    so the button on my touchpad of my macbook doesnt work so well....i am still under the 1 year of applecare...so what do i need to take with me to the apple store? just my 'puter? or do i need some kind of documentation?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    First thing--back up your data! Last time my MBP went into the shop it came back with the Hard Drive wiped.

I don't think you have to bring anything, particularly if your computer is registered in your name, but if you're going to the Apple store, you might want to go to the website for your local store and make a reservation
    http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

IBM Thinkpad. Best notebooks on the planet: best build, best performance, best customer support. A macbook isn't really bad, but a Thinkpad is the best you can buy if you want a Windows notebook. I don't know if you can still buy them with WindowsXP installed, but that's just an one hour job.

I've had a T60 for about five months now and I've USED it. Good product, but weak on the graphics and speakers.