WTF is "Second Life"??? (NRR)

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Call me old school or or whatever, but I believe that REAL life in the real world can be much, much more scary and weird than the imaginary lives people invent in 2nd Life.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Call me old school or or whatever, but I believe that REAL life in the real world can be much, much more scary and weird than the imaginary lives people invent in 2nd Life.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    PLAY SECOND LIFE PLAY SECOND LIFE PLAY SECOND LIFE PLAY SECOND LIFE. YOU MUST LEEEAAAAAAAAAAAARN. play the game, drink the virtual coffee, cop the virtual feels and look at the virtual furries make out. you be the judge.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    My company has set up a few 'branded' properties for corporate clients in Second Life over the six months. Music labels, promoters, nightclubs, media owners - they all want to reach the audience there and the audience responds to the marketing just as they do in real life. Second Lifers will go to a virtual Ministry of Sound nightclub over one whose name they don't recognise.

So, in a virtual world where you can do anything you like, people still gravitate to the same dull brands as they do on the outside. No imagination.

This not really directed at you, but as a president of a prominent media company in LA said to me about second life, "I wish I had their PR people." Second life membership numbers are grossly inflated, it looks like a video game out of 1998, and its architecture is non-extendable. While it make great steps in that direction, and some of the writing on the topic (particularly by Jenkins) is interesting, second life is not a practical vehicle for mass consumption of online virtual reality.

I'm surprised at companies who put money and effort into advertising on second life. They have, what, 35k - 50k regular consumers? If you extract a CPM out of that I'm sure it doesn't look pretty. You're probably better off putting a print advertisement in a moderately successful niche interest magazine.

Actually, in the context of this discussion, Dr. Grammar makes a great point. We're talking about computer-mediated communication as stand-in for real-life interaction. Different platforms offer different levels of expression due to the nature of the medium: video chatting allows for the elements of communication provided by tone of voice, gesture, and facial expression; speaking on the telephone only provides for tone of voice; texting only provides for the meaning communicated objectively by your words. In this forum, your words are the primary reflection of your entire being. As such, you may want to bone up on your spelling, grammer, and punctuation, or you'll simply appear stupid.

I agree that Internet-based CMC is becoming more multimedia, but this is not the vehicle to drive it. Internet users have a habit of using Internet resources in ways they feel are necessary to their own life. For example, MySpace satisfies many different needs, depending on the person, and is freeform enough to offer a variety of modes of interaction (video, audio, still images). It's not graceful, but it's no doubt of mass interest/use.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think SuperPoasterTwo is becoming the living embodiment of

And just to note: it's not Doctor Grammar. It's Doctor Spelling capping on you when you spell "discussion" as "discoxian".

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think SuperPoasterTwo is becoming the living embodiment of

And just to note: it's not Doctor Grammar. It's Doctor Spelling capping on you when you spell "discussion" as "discoxian".

I believe he was attempting to spell "disconnection."

Dude needs a whole metaphorical medical team to go to work on his posts.

Please, someone call this man a

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I'm not reading 5 pages of the thread to see if this has been posted,

BUT you can receive blowjobs in it from Belgium Politicians if you are shy.

http://www.nee-antwerpen.be/index-eng.htm

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dont argue with me. dont front on me. i am cooler then all of you combined so stop this madness, this is sparta.

ALSO, I have a 88 in englosh and have perfect gramma mark, dont front, I am a genius, you will never

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    dont argue with me. dont front on me. i am cooler then all of you combined so stop this madness, this is sparta.

ALSO, I have a 88 in englosh and have perfect gramma mark, dont front, I am a genius, you will never

HE'S CODING PEOPLE! GET ME A CRASH CART STAT[/b]!!!

You're gonna be OK, son. Just repeat after me: "English" is spelled E-N-G-L-I-S-H. Now say it with me...