Food Movies

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    One of my most hated movie scenes involves food. In 9 1/2 weeks when Rourke and Basinger are at the Italian place and he is stuffing his face with pasta and gulping wine and talking with his mouth full, no doubt to show how passionate and sexually voracious he is (a la Film School 101 with a minor in Erotic Studies) - cheesy, tacky, overdone and totally disgusting. I love Italian food but I can't stand Mickey Rourke.

One of my favourite eating scenes is in Irma Vep when Maggie Cheung and the French woman from the film crew go to a dinner party and everyone is sitting at a long table with a bottle of wine between every two people. It's noisy and electric and cozy - it captures the atmosphere so well.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

Haha...

Ill give you that. The ending has them chowing down in slo-mo to some triumphant music.

But like Soul Food, its only one scene.

What about that Canadian Comedy duo movie bout Beer n shit?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What about that Canadian Comedy duo movie bout Beer n shit?

Strange Brew. I enjoyed that during my pre-teen SCTV-watching days. If we're including booze, though, this thread could go on forever.

Leaving Las Vegas. I'm surprised booze didn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actor for that one.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    BIg NIght is THAT MOVIE.

I will peep.

i saw this is the theater when i was in high school and loved it. then i rented it recently and it was not very good. the food looked great but the comedy tasted baaaad.

BIg NIght is THAT MOVIE.

I will peep.

i saw this is the theater when i was in high school and loved it. then i rented it recently and it was not very good. the food looked great but the comedy tasted baaaad.

Note to self.

BIg NIght is THAT MOVIE.

I will peep.

Note to self.

Big Night was good. I didnt laff that much but was moved by the Chef's hardcore passion.

Diner is not a food movie,but the record scene was that real shit. Dude was barkin at his wife about his collectron.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    fucked up Korean Flick called Dumplings from the extreme asia trilogy

This movie is incredibly cruel and unrelenting. It plays as a single feature divided into three sections: "Dumplings", directed by Fruit Chan of Hong Kong, "Cut" directed by Park Chan-Wook of Korea and "Box" directed by Miike Takashi of Japan. Each section is like a dissertation in horror, although "Dumplings" could also be classified as an exploitation film.

All of them are beautifully produced and directed, and I especially found "Box" to be quite lavish in sets, costumes and atmosphere. They each show a lot about the culture of the respective countries they were made in and also provide new takes on the terrifying and the appalling. They are each original in their own right, although "Cut" could be compared to the "Saw" or Hannibal Lecter franchises in that there's a psycho who's trying to get a message across by way of murder and mayhem.

I don't want to give details on the plots of any of them because I think that viewers need to experience them for themselves with no preconceptions going in, but what I can say is that "Dumplings" has the most plot and is probably the one with the highest "squeam" factor, "Cut" covers a rather familiar premise but with lots of fun moments (you'll see) and "Box" is more of an artistic endeavour with not much of a plot, but for some reason I was enthralled and couldn't look away; it's the one I liked the most.

A solid 8 out of 10 for the efforts of these genius Asian directors.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Speaking of food movies, has anyone seen Dumplings?

Know it's meant to be good but wasn't sure whether to pick up the feature length version or the original version which helped make up the Three Extremes movie.

Bump for the fact that I saw the feature length version of Dumplings last night - highly enjoyable satire and well worth checking out. Probably not a good flick to watch if you are/are thinking of becoming pregnant, but surprisingly subtle considering the content and beautiful to look at thanks to cinematography from Christopher Doyle.

I cant wait for this joint.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Know this is a really old thread, but i stumbled upon it and it doesn't look like anyone mentioned 'dinner rush' (2000) with danny aiello- set in new york with murder, mobsters, art and food critics all set during....don,don,don...a dinner rush!! Remember there being some pretty good food scene's in the kitchen!!

• yap everyone needs to watch this movie at least once in their life.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

yap everyone needs to watch this movie at least once in their life.

One of my favorite movies of all time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just don't do it on an empty stomach.

Or someplace where they don't have competent ramen.

Just don't do it on an empty stomach.

Or someplace where they don't have competent ramen.

I actually learned alot about the ramen game from that movie.

directed by Park Chan-Wook of Korea

It seems like food is fairly thematic in some of Park's movie's.

Main character was a baker and used her baking skill to leverage herself in prison and the outside world.

Main character discovered his captor's via the food he was served. Daughter was a sushi chef and the particulars of her hands in relation to sushi preparation was a precursor to trigger the main character's hypno-recall.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    how about two from this sexy lady