Fela Kuti - Expensive shit

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Man... I have been listening to this side-long epic at least once a week for amonths now. It's just an amazingly raw peice of music.I'm not that deep on Fela's catalogue, can someone recomend other records that are ssimilar in sound and style to this one? The only other record of his I got is that Shakara one or whatever it's called.Thanks menses

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    His sound stayed pretty much the same through the 1970's. I've always liked Black President, Gentleman and Upside Down, but also the live album he did with Ginger Baker, especially the track "Let's Start".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I have been saving up for this record for quite some time, it is earth shatteringly good. That is all I can say.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I have been saving up for this record for quite some time, it is earth shatteringly good. That is all I can say.

In two weeks you will run out of adjectives for good records and your crusade for legitimacy will be over.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you are the disease that is killing mainstream hip-hop http://zaza.ytmnd.com/

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    I look for the sides featuring Tony Alan (Tony Alabi sometimes) credited as drummer/leader. Tony was just as much an architect of the afrobeat sound as Fela. also look for Tony Alan's three solo albums with the africa 70 (featuring fela on all solos)

• Man... I have been listening to this side-long epic at least once a week for amonths now. It's just an amazingly raw peice of music.

I'm not that deep on Fela's catalogue, can someone recomend other records that are ssimilar in sound and style to this one? The only other record of his I got is that Shakara one or whatever it's called.

Thanks menses

I celebrate his entire catalogue.

I spent about 4 hours the other day downloading a ton of shit from emusic.

• essential

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Off the top of my head, I'd say if you liked Expensive Shit, you'd probably also like Zombie[/b] and Shuffering and Shmiling[/b]

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Oh, and I hope you're flipping that Expensive Shit record over every once in a while, Water No Get Enemy[/b] is easily one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I love his afrobeat stuff but his first solo record, "Fela Fela Fela", is a bit more rooted in jazz and I am very much into his sound on that LP. Shorter songs, tighter solos, same heavy grooves.

As far as his afrobeat stuff goes, It's hard to pick a favorite but Gentleman ranks high for me.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    definitely check out "everything scatter" and as mentioned above, "upside down" is also one one that's not to be missed, probably also the one Fela record with the biggest dancefloor potential even on a night where usually ther is no Afrobeat to be spun. It's also just an absolutely perfect piece of music, nothing about this song could have possibly been done any better.

And don't forget to order that french (english version included) video documentary that's been released on canadian DVD a while back. The expression "larger than life" has never been more fitting.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oh, and I hope you're flipping that Expensive Shit record over every once in a while, Water No Get Enemy[/b] is easily one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

• OVERTAKE DON OVERTAKE OVERTAKE!!!!

Later and still hard as fuck, Ill stand by what I said in the other thread, Fela is unfadeable in my book. ITT is another one that I love all the time. The gentleman album is great, Lady- you can keep going. I really think there is no wrong place to get into more Fela but I think alot of people feel that way.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I love his afrobeat stuff but his first solo record, "Fela Fela Fela", is a bit more rooted in jazz and I am very much into his sound on that LP. Shorter songs, tighter solos, same heavy grooves.

This LP which was recorded in L.A. while the Fela and his band was touring the U.S. in 69/70. Produced by Duke Lumumba. It was also released by Stern's Africa in '93, which is the version I've got:

This is also a good early recording:

Features different recordings some of the same tracks that appear on the Ginger Baker Live LP, like "Egbe Mi O".

Fela's releases are good way into the 80s. Take "Beasts Of No Nation" from '89 for example. Just as good and gritty as his 70s stuff IMO.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I posted a very good live boot from 86 here

Co-sign with Juanpayday on "Gentelman", another favorite of mine is "It No Possible" off of "He Miss Road".

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    I had dinner with a friend of the family the other night who was the NY Times correspondent in Lagos during the 70's. He had some amazing stories about Fela seeking him out because he was impressed that he was a reporter for the Times and had him over to the Kalakuta Republic many times. He also went to see the group at the Shrine countless times during the mid 70's.

One of the best stories he had was of the time him and his wife decided to reciprocate Fela's kindness by having him over to their apartment. They had a small place and figured that Fela would just come over with his Minister of Information. Instead he showed up with a bus full of his posse--bandmates, wives, friends. He made a housegift of a jar of what he called NNG (Nigerian Natural Grass), marijuana. Six months later, the wife receives a frantic call from the Minister of Information to "get rid of the NNG" and within seconds of her flushing it down the toilet the cops break in the door.

Another funny story was witnessing the whole "Expensive Shit" debacle. The story behind the record is that Fela swallowed his whole stash when the cops came to arrest him and the police were patiently waiting for Fela to shit so they could analyze his feces for drugs. Somehow he was able to constipate himself for a really long time. Apparently the media in Lagos followed this all very closely and the headlines each day were total comedy--"Four Days and Still No Shit", "Fela Still Has Not Shit", and finally "Fela Shits".

The darker side that I heard about was that Fela would beat his "wives" fairly regularly and all his women had a kind of empty look in their eyes characteristic of the abused.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Another funny story was witnessing the whole "Expensive Shit" debacle. The story behind the record is that Fela swallowed his whole stash when the cops came to arrest him and the police were patiently waiting for Fela to shit so they could analyze his feces for drugs. Somehow he was able to constipate himself for a really long time. Apparently the media in Lagos followed this all very closely and the headlines each day were total comedy--"Four Days and Still No Shit", "Fela Still Has Not Shit", and finally "Fela Shits".

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    Fela and Ian Anderson.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DVUX3_NsvrE

rediculous.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks heaps guys.

I'm gonna try and track down a few of the records mentioned. Incedentally, if anyone happanes to have spares of any of them, feel free to PM me.

Thank you again - most certainly some

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

I got the story wrong slightly. I remembered that it was the cops who came with a joint they planned on saying was Fela's and he realized this and quickly swallowed the joint.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my favorite Fela LP, which I still havent been able to replace...I lent it to my girlfriend at the time, who turned out to be BAT-SHIT crazy...I was so relieved to have her out of my life when I dumped her, that I didnt even want to go over to her place to pick it up after the drama was over. This bitch was insane, I was scared she might try to cut me or some shit...really. That LP was a casuality of that horrid relationship.

• Some girl (a friend of my lil' sisters) 'borrowed' my Expensive Shit as well. I haven't heard it since which is a pity since it's my most loved Fela as well.

• igboigbo 44 Posts
    I got a 12' the other day from a newer afrobeat band called Akoya Afrobeat, i think they are from NY. The whole A-side long track, "B.F.B.F" is sick! Crazy up-tempo and 2 big changes that makes you jump. Definately one to look for.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'll cosine everything in this thread but I also wanted to say "Yellow Fever."

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Friday I picked up the ginger baker stratovarius lp which Fela plays on. Pretty interesting lp for the mix between the two artist's sound is pretty evident. I don't think it goes for much dough and would suggest one to pick it up especially if you dig the ginger baker/fela live lp.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    fela is king hands down

every nigerian person ive met, after i mention fela, say, "oh, thats my uncle!"