THE SWEET INSPIRATIONS ST LP (female soul related)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
How is this LP ?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've always found it to be a bit disappointing. Some people recommend it, but some people recommend anything with several Black women in similar outfits on the cover.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thanks, glad I didn't spend $20 on it from a local gripper.

• Those are some cool outfits, though.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i like the LP. id spend $20 on it if it was mint. there are a few northern tracks, some nice ballads, and some straight ahead soul tunes. over all id give it a 6.5 out of 10. doesnt pop up all the time but its around.

...then again i like female group records with sexy black women wearing similar outfits on the cover.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    hahaha

$20 seems steep though. Justin you know you wouldn't buy that shit for $20! Maybe $10...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'd get this album on principle alone.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    i like the LP. id spend $20 on it if it was mint. there are a few northern tracks, some nice ballads, and some straight ahead soul tunes. over all id give it a 6.5 out of 10. doesnt pop up all the time but its around.

...then again i like female group records with sexy black women wearing similar outfits on the cover.

I bought a copy at the start of the month and it's "aiight"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'd get this album on principle alone.

At least get it so you can have their biggest hit, "Sweet Inspiration."

The only album of theirs I own is Sweets For My Sweet (Atlantic, 1969), which is pure southern-style soul all the way through and is recommended. I also have an Atlantic 45, "Light Sings"/"This World." Both songs are from the play The Me Nobody Knows - "Light" is a poppish Bacharach-sounding number, "This World" is a bit grittier (it was covered by the Staple Singers later, but the Sweets' version has this pumping guitar riff running through it that makes it work). Both tunes are great.

About the only thing negative with the Sweets is when one of them starts doing some high-octave falsetto run, Minnie Riperton-style. Doesn't bother me on Rotary Connection records, but gets on my last good nerves when the Sweets do it. Matter of fact, the singer occasionally pulled this same stunt on Elvis Presley's records and it doesn't sound good there, either (he used them extensively as female background singers). Apart from that, the Sweet Inspirations are cool with me.

Any opinions on that one album they did for Stax?

• olskoololskool 77 Posts

About the only thing negative with the Sweets is when one of them starts doing some high-octave falsetto run, Minnie Riperton-style. Doesn't bother me on Rotary Connection records, but gets on my last good nerves when the Sweets do it.

These are the LP's I have.

IMHO the Stax release is their best one including songs like "Why Marry", "You roam when you don't get it at home", "Slipped and tripped" and the rest are all nice ballads.

I think their records are all pretty solid. The SelfTitled LP is probably the strongest Atlantic release they made and worth checking out just because of the Ike Turner version of "Blue" that's definitely the best song on the whole LP and a true classic to me.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Getting back to that Sweets For My Sweet elpee, they took the Everly Brothers' already-great "Crying In The Rain" and TURNED IT OUT. Another reason why the group shouldn't be overlooked so easy.

Now I'm waiting for someone to get in here and ride for that modern-soul LP they did for RSO in the eighties (and it won't be me!).