ECO-STRUT

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
The eco-friendly CD manufacturing thread reminded me that people should be far more aware of the amazing shit that is readily available at comparable prices to plastic. I'm talking about fully biodegradable and compostable takeout containers for food. Something we in the US, and especially NYC, use far more of than anyone else on the planet.So, tell your local deli about this stuff, if you are in academia, tell your relevant committees about this schitt.[/b] It rules, you would not believe it's made from corn, bamboo, or potatoes. It's cost effective, and it's the future. when you're done with your meal, toss all the packaging in this bagand throw the whole thing on the compost heap at your local city garden or whatever.PSA over. You may now go back to feeling morally superior to each other http://www.natureworksllc.com/http://www.worldcentric.org/bio/biofaq.htmhttp://www.vegware.co.uk/http://www.biobagusa.com/

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thanks for ththe links, sport.

wont make much difference unless people actually have access to compost/recycling

but their availability and cost effectiveness is a big step of the way.

can i get a link to the eco cd thread? i missed that

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    [/img]

My wife hosted a banquet for an architect who does sustainable as possible buildings. The had those potato forks. The rest of the dinner ware was plastic (or maybe it was metal). They couldn't afford full settings of the vegware. Hopefully the cost is/has come down.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Thanks for the links!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

My wife hosted a banquet for an architect who does sustainable as possible buildings. The had those potato forks. The rest of the dinner ware was plastic (or maybe it was metal). They couldn't afford full settings of the vegware. Hopefully the cost is/has come down.

Thanks to those legislation-happy Californians, the wholesale prices have come down dramatically, so it's not much different to the old stuff. Apparently by a certain date it will be mandatory in CA for restaurants to use it. I'm mainly talking about wholesale for businesses but it should be in the supermarket soon enough.

Tripdoub: you can still throw this in the regular trash if you can't compost. It can go on a landfill and begin to break down after 6 weeks of being in the elements, rather than months and years. You know the 1-6 numbers in the triangle on plastics? Well this stuff is #7

CD thread: http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...ge=0#Post867593

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    There is definitely some serious potential with this kind of stuff, but they suffer from some of the same problems as ethanol:

1) Since it is currently more expensive than plastic, it requires state/federal mandates and subsidies in order to catch on.

2) When the products become successful and demand rises, it creates a rise in the price of the raw products used to create them (potatoes, corn etc.)

3) If they become the standard, we will not have the agricultural capacity to sustain them here in the US and we will have to look to other countries for the produce. This is fine except for the fact that it could lead to the unintended consequence of deforestation to create increased farm land.

This is not to say, by any means, that these are not technologies worth pursuing, but simply that for the time being I don't think they are as sustainable as they seem.

On a side note, I believe that San Francisco is making a major push to switch to the biobags in the near future.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There is definitely some serious potential with this kind of stuff, but they suffer from some of the same problems as ethanol:

1) Since it is currently more expensive than plastic, it requires state/federal mandates and subsidies in order to catch on.

2) When the products become successful and demand rises, it creates a rise in the price of the raw products used to create them (potatoes, corn etc.)

3) If they become the standard, we will not have the agricultural capacity to sustain them here in the US and we will have to look to other countries for the produce. This is fine except for the fact that it could lead to the unintended consequence of deforestation to create increased farm land.

This is not to say, by any means, that these are not technologies worth pursuing, but simply that for the time being I don't think they are as sustainable as they seem.

On a side note, I believe that San Francisco is making a major push to switch to the biobags in the near future.

Good points. On the other side plastics come from oil which has the most subsidised thing going. Iraq war anyone? As for 2 and 3 the answer is legalize industrial hemp.

Still the goal of sustainability will always clash with our standard of living.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Well yes and no. There are many additional benefits in changing raw materials. Right now the US Corn industry is subsidized to the tune of 50 billion dollars, except the raw material that it produces are used for all sorts of nasty shit like high fructose corn syrup and these products are pushed on our kiddies. Artificiality of markets is not the issue here.

How much does NY spend a year moving trash to other states and countries? I dunno but it's a shitload.

I think this is a viable alternative. And what's more, it might make people think about what they are consuming, and possibly consume less unnecessary crap. I mean, half the time you get delivery, you don't even use the plastic sporks and the napkins (usually from virgin forests) are usually overkill.

On the other side plastics come from oil which has the most subsidised thing going. Iraq war anyone?

Sorry to nitpick, but plastic sacks and sporks are not the largest use of petroleum in the US, and currently we are not involved in Iraq because of oil, regardless of whether or not it was one of the original reasons.

Absolutely, and unfortunately we will be putting off sustainability as long as possible.

Artificiality of markets is not the issue here.

If we are talking about a long term, viable alternative to some common household items then I would say that it is. However, as these items are currently a fringe market with constant technological advancements it might not be an immediate concern.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Artificiality of markets is not the issue here.

If we are talking about a long term, viable alternative to some common household items then I would say that it is. However, as these items are currently a fringe market with constant technological advancements it might not be an immediate concern.

But marketing value of eco friendly products is a HUUUUUGE factor. I think that will play a role as well, as we all move, ahem, Beyond Petroleum Seen the current SC Johnson/Family company ad? I just think it's false to suggest that the market right now is somehow not artificial and that imposing a change in the production of raw materials will somehow upset capitalism. I mean command economics was how all advanced consumer societies first started out - except it was for war production, not eco-friendly consumables.

And yes, my girl just got us some eco-friendly bath cleaner stuff. The warning label on the back had all the same "wash immediately with water, if ingested consult a physician" ... so I'm assuming it works! We also use eco laundry detergent that lasts forever and works out mad cheap, as well as dishsoap with pictures of happy dolphins on. We are suckers for that, but still live on a tight budget just like everyone else. If we can afford it we will do it. I still need to be more conscious about fair trade stuff, especially sneakers and chocolate, but I'm trying to change that as well.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I've been trying to be a bit more eco-friendly as of late, have been doing a lot more recycling, and not just guard rails for meth.

It can be pricey, but I think it's a matter of rethinking the way you live. Sure, I'd like to live better, perhaps get involved in a community farm where I could grow some vegetables or whatever. Recycling cans means I'm drinking a lot of diet Coke, but of course eliminating diet Coke would save me more money in the long run, or at least divert it to somewhere else.

It's also hard to be in a place that doesn't support that type of mentality, which is odd considering I live in what is essentially farming country. I do for myself, and every now and then I see others doing the same. I go to Portland, which comes off as a "green" city, and I'm thinking I'd like to move there.

In truth, it has to start with you, and starting is always the hard part. I'm sure someone can go dig up a post about eating better and losing weight and find those exact words from me.

Of course, here we are talking about using products that rely less on petroleum, and we're on a forum that talks about the preservation of records... not as a fuel source. Eh. So wop on dee, right?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Might have been a re-run, but the pimp my ride I saw last night was a biodesil conversion with hemp upholstry and carpet made out of recycled bottles.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Might have been a re-run, but the pimp my ride I saw last night was a biodesil conversion with hemp upholstry and carpet made out of recycled bottles.

Is there a "hemp" made LP jacket/cover out there in the land of vinyl?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Knowledge dropped and good points.

Sad but true.