MY STORE FLOODED. tips?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
What are the pertinent issues to rescue the jackets and such.thanks.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Fuck dude. Hope it's not too bad.

Are your wood floors toast?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    They'll live. LPs and 12"s in the back were damaged though. Some beautiful reggae titles from the newest collection, although I tend to separate out the rarer stuff so most of that is OK.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Ouch! My sympathies. My only advice is to call water damage 'patina'.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo Jonny,

One of the first things I'd do is get a de-humidifier. Not a tiny one from sears, but a REALLY big one. You can rent them from places that rent tools & equipment to contractors. In Canada, a big name in this field is Simplex. These de-humidifiers kinda look like R2-D2. They'll have a hose coming out of it that will drain into a bucket. You'll be amazed at how much water they pull out of the air. They're so powerful, that I can imagine that they'll remove dampness out of the room within 48 hours, depending on the damage. There are other fancy machines called dessicants that can help dry out a room, but they're kinda big and I don't know if they rent them. If you have any drywall that got wet, I'd remove the base boards & drill some holes in the walls. This will help the mositure escape and keep mold from setting in. There are emergency clean up companies that could put lp jackets in these crazy machines that will remove moisture from the jackets. I've had this done with books that got wet after fires & they came back like new. I don't know how expensive this is, though, because insurance took care of the cost. I'd type more, but I'm a little busy at work. But get a de-humidifier & maybe a blower, if you have carpeting. That would be a good start.

Good Luck!

howard

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    That sucks dude, sorry to hear. Talk to the dude at Gimme Gimme, the same thing happened to them not too long ago.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    That really sucks, man-my condolences. Was it a burst water main or something? And are you insured for flood damage?

I have insurance although I am sure this will fall under some fine print in my lease or policy. It was a burst pipe in the bathroom and not a toilet backup. Thankfully the water was clean and not sewage. Some of the beautiful reggae LPs I bought last week were damaged.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Shit one. All I can say is don't dry the jackets too quickly or you'll def get the wave effect. Press them and let them dry over a week or so away from open windows else you'll probably get seedlings.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Right. Make sure all the wet jacket are pressed flat and that they are not pressed to something that will adhere to the cover and rip the first layer off when they are dry.

I have insurance although I am sure this will fall under some fine print in my lease or policy. It was a burst pipe in the bathroom and not a toilet backup. Thankfully the water was clean and not sewage. Some of the beautiful reggae LPs I bought last week were damaged.

Tricky. As you know, insurance companies will deny a claim if they think they can get away with it. But would it be worth hiring a lawyer to pursue it? I guess it depends on how much the damage cost you.

I laid out the LPs and they are under the fan. I needed to separate them so that they did not stick. The dehumidifier is on the way.

Unfortunately I am afraid the damage is done on most of them...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Johnny,
    Sorry to hear this.....I've had some luck collecting from Insurance Co. for records....don't let them hit you with the "They're just wet, they'll still play" crap either like they tried on me......the good news was I collected "book" value, the bad news was they insisted on hauling them off so I couldn't keep and listen to them.

+

+

=

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Tricky. As you know, insurance companies will deny a claim if they think they can get away with it. But would it be worth hiring a lawyer to pursue it? I guess it depends on how much the damage cost you.

Fuck the paperwork. Just get out there and find more records.

Um, has the Slim Smith come down in value?

help the mositure escape and keep mold from setting in.

This is key. Mold damage is bad enough, but in your line of work, it can be devastating. Once it's in the walls in large quantities, it's really hard to remove, since spores are everywhere.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    pertinent issues

Remove all plastic sleeves.

If you had records on the floor with sleeve seams on the side and water got in, please do not leave the sleeve on and simply lay flat to dry with the water still in it, like my father did when his basement with my records in it flooded.

run that insurance game jonny.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

This is key. Mold damage is bad enough, but in your line of work, it can be devastating. Once it's in the walls in large quantities, it's really hard to remove, since spores are everywhere.

Dudes, mold is not an issue on clean records that get wet in a clean environment for a short period. Mold is like the Red Scare on this board. Turn yer back and it's coming out the walls!

The seams are definitely an issue. I will have to go through them more thoroughly but for now they are drying out.

My car was towed this morning, before I got to the store. When it rains, it pours.

Dudes, mold is not an issue on clean records that get wet in a clean environment for a short period. Mold is like the Red Scare on this board. Turn yer back and it's coming out the walls!

I fear mold.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Speaking as somebody that defends insurance companies on a regular basis, I'd have to say probably not.

I am really sorry to hear about this. It pains me to even think about it. This is something that I think causes all record dudes tremendous anxiety--like, damn, one burst pipe could wipe out years of collecting.

I remember years back, my best friend telling me about being woken up by a heavy rain in the middle of the night and then not being able to get back to sleep because he was so worried about what might happen to his records if the apartment flooded. He ended up pulling the most valuable ones and stacking them on his ironing board, so that they'd be off the floor.

The sad thing is that, instead of laughing at him like a normal person, I started to get real worried about what could happen my own records the next time it rained heavy.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mold is no joke.

Check out that Silicon shit that absorbs moisture. U can cop a couple of cans and place them accordingly.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Yo Jonny,

One of the first things I'd do is get a de-humidifier. Not a tiny one from sears, but a REALLY big one. You can rent them from places that rent tools & equipment to contractors. In Canada, a big name in this field is Simplex. These de-humidifiers kinda look like R2-D2. They'll have a hose coming out of it that will drain into a bucket.

True. I don't live in Canada, but I've heard that Simplex is a solid choice. Here in the States, the biggie is Comfort-Aire. I used to work for an semi-major HVAC contractor that has big $$$ accounts on the coast where mold and moist, salty air is an issue. They swore by those Comfort-Aire things. These machines would take care of 400 sq. ft. spaces easily.

I have heard at least a dozen "I live in NYC and some of my stuff got destroyed from shitty plumbing" stories this past year alone. I hate hearing stuff like that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Sorry to hear that, man. Rain or plumbing? I can imagine rain being a real headache down those sides.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The sad thing is that, instead of laughing at him like a normal person, I started to get real worried about what could happen my own records the next time it rained heavy.

hahaha!

Sorry to hear about all this flood business, Jonny.

When it rains, it pours.

It appears now that my car was stolen.

I'm going to go back to bed and hope that this is a bad dream.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    When it rains, it pours.

It appears now that my car was stolen.

I'm going to go back to bed and hope that this is a bad dream.

hey this could be better than towed! (Remember your wet records were actually in the trunk)

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    It usually takes nearly 24 hours in larger cities to process a car that has been towed, and then inform the owner based upon my experience-- hopefully you'll get a phone call on that shit.
    As for the records, it obviously depends on how wet they got, but yeah: remove the vinyl and the sleeve, and stack those covers (with the plastic sleeves between each cover) putting something heavy on top to keep them flat, they'll dry out some, and distribute some of the moisture evenly across the entire cover, wait a day or so, then lay them all out flat. Forcing them dry w/ a fan or something is not advisable in my experience-- i find the press-flat, then dry out later method works pretty good.

The one time I have been to your store, I was pretty impressed. Sorry to hear about this, it's the worst shit evar.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there's nothing you can do right on days like this, best to head home after work and call it a day. Stay in to avoid anything else happening.

hopefully you get your car back.

Haha true that Aser.

Thanks JimBeam for the tips. I'm gonna do that now. The covers are all but dried though, so I don't know if much can be done at this point but hey. At least it wasn't the mega-raers.

The stains on some of the pretty covers get me all

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The seams are definitely an issue. I will have to go through them more thoroughly but for now they are drying out.

My car was towed this morning, before I got to the store. When it rains, it pours.

Fuck.

Hold your head, my man.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    keep yo head up paycheck
    brighter days better ways
    i just lost a copy of bedazzled and some other rare lps sold on ebay this week
    due to my "neighbors" above me using a washing machine which they aren't supposed to own or use
    i am takeing it off the rent fuck a lanlord in his wallet
    minor flooding,2 crates wet Bullshite
    out of cash$$$ and now possibly negative feedbacks on egay