record manufacturing strut

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
What are some of the smaller and larger companies that manufacture CD's for labels.. I am helping a friend that is looking for an eco-friendly company that will manufacture between 500-1000 CD's with packaging... Any thoughts?

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Good question. I'm looking into this myself and would like to know about eco-friendly(er) ways to produce CDs.

My jewel cases will be recycled from the hundreds of pointless demos by pointless people who line the streets of "Brooklyn". I got 2 boxes full already.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There's a company that sells CD cases made out of hemp.

At one point, manufacturers in Japan were trying to make CD's made out of corn starch, or polylactic acid. Early trials worked, but usually for one or two songs. They found the heat would basically turn it into a spinning Frito, but it was enough to show that it was possible to do that, and make the product more eco-friendly. Not sure how far off they went with that technology, but they were considering it for Blu-Ray as well. I think they just gave up on it all together, as I haven't heard anything since some of the tests failed.

Seems Sony also made an attempt at a paper-based DVD too:
    http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=3951

EDIT:
    With this post, I am now "Studio Carpet". Where's the vacuum?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Paging Bambouche... he just told me about a small co that prints the artwork on recycled paper with veggie dyes etc who I just totally forgot about after drinking one beer and one tequila. Oregon or thereabouts. Will get the details. Off to drink more tequila now...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    If anybody knows a place that prints uncoated stock (rough texture) at a reasonable price please let me know. It's at least double the cost for any inserts/traycards at the very few places that can print them.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    mmmm spinning fritos

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Stumptown Printers in Portland, OR is a collectively owned and operated small business who do a variety of unique packaging. They use low impact pressroom supplies, alcohol free dampening, vegetable-based ink, and recycled papers. Nice as pie, too. Letterpress and offset.

Starshaped Press in Chicago is an eco-friendly letterpress.

Ugly Duckling Presse in Redhook, Brooklyn is an option as well.

Plenty more, I assume.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Anybody know of any decent uk cd pressers? I want good quality at a cheap price.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Stumptown Printers in Portland, OR is a collectively owned and operated small business who do a variety of unique packaging. They use low impact pressroom supplies, alcohol free dampening, vegetable-based ink, and recycled papers. Nice as pie, too. Letterpress and offset.

Starshaped Press in Chicago is an eco-friendly letterpress.

Starshaped will send samples of some of their work, from envelopes to business cards, letterhead, and they do 7" picture sleeves, and can do LP's/12" single covers by special request.
    http://www.starshaped.com

I have seem some of the work of Stumptown, and am considering using their services, even if it's for business cards.

In the last few weeks I've received a number of CD's with covers made from letterpress. I've always liked the look on albums, and it's nice to see artists making the extra effort to do that. One lady in Setatle who plays the guitar did a CD where she got the cardboard covers done, and did the rubber stamping herself.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I have all the Starshaped samples, and they are top notch. Jen is wonderful to work with, too. Last time I talked to her she said she only prints Starshaped work, meaning she designs the album covers. So I would check if she does custom art before you decide to have her print any album covers.

Stumptown does custom work. They have a lot of paper choices as well as forms to choose from. You can also design your own die if you want super special shaped covers (like those Spitboy LPs with the flap on top, etc.). Stumptown is fantastic. Really nice folks. We finished a record with them and they ordered several copies for the shop before they sent us the final bill. It's those kind of people that I enjoy working with.