Rep your favorite LP jacket artist!

cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Do you guys have some favorite jacket artists?I've been feeling a couple dudes lately, but my first choice would be Jamaal Pete.I've got three Lp with his work, and on the lookout for more.Thankfully the music on all these is just as good as the artwork.Check'em then add yours!

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    David Stone Martin:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Mati Klarwein

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Really like this one....would love to have this on one of the walls of my pad...lifesize.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Drew Struzan

- spidey

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Mati Klarwein

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    tie between Reid Miles (his combo of Wolff's photos and type is amazing) and Hipngnosis

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Art Dragon, did Oi records in the UK. No pics sorry, but dope.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Derek Riggs....

• well...pedro bell:

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Jim Flora.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Robert J. Hilton, designer of most of Musique Pour L'Image 10"s (MPI is a library label).

You can see more of his cover designs here:
    http://waxidermy.com/features/mpi-library/

Peace

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Those Jamaal Pete are something else indeed. Great stuff. Forgoing SS tradition and instead focusing on a far more recent artist (now sadly RIP) who I always enjoyed:

Matt Doo

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Ghariokwu Lemi, Designed many of Fela's Albums

• andy warhol????

nah, but for real
    Ghariokwu Lemi deserves some shine.

& still doin it:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I have no idea who Fazzio was, but those covers he painted for Crown Records were visual poetry![/b]

The Chicago-based Don Bronstein (who died in 1968) shot some classic album cover pictures and deserves the same rep that Reid Miles and them over at Blue Note have...most of his work can be seen on Chess albums, but he occasionally freelanced for other labels.[/b]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ernie Barnes.

http://www.erniebarnes.com/

I think I have all his lp covers, 6 or 8 with the Faith Hope and Charity and the 2 Crusaders being the least seen ones.

I used to have a big collection of Fazzios. Wish I still did. The only one I have now is a Jackie Kennedy record. The back has a little fold out dealie so you can stand it up like a picture on your end table.

I also like the design guy for Folkways. There was a thread about him once. Might have been on that other board.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Derek Riggs....

that's what I was going to say. Cosign on Pedro Bell and Matt Doo too, the latter if for the Organized Konfusion cover alone.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Yeah Jamaal Pete was the first name that popped in my head. Can any headz give a Jamaal Pete cover art discography? There's another great one that features a low-rider of some sort, but I forget which it is...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Yeah Jamaal Pete was the first name that popped in my head. Can any headz give a Jamaal Pete cover art discography? There's another great one that features a low-rider of some sort, but I forget which it is...

I can't give a discography for JP but I'm looking for albums by Toyan, Earl 16, and Nicodemus that he did.
    Here is another one of my favorites:

Tony McDermott aka "Mr. Greensleeves",

Details from the Jah Thomas "Stop Yu Loafin'" lp

Detail from a Greensleeves 12" picture sleeve

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ronald Clyne

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ronald Clyne

That's the Folkways guy. Nice.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    A lot of my favorites have been mentioned. I'm a fan of the works of

Edward J. Repka

I know Rick Griffin isn't around anymore, but I always wanted to have an album that was designed close to this, with that style of lettering, the sleekness of the tube, etc.

If I had to pick one artist to do a cover for me, it would be great to have Bill Sienkiewicz do something. Stray Toasters[/b], that mini-series was great and I liked how he did a wide range of styles. I also liked how he went out of the box, or where you see something that is the intended focus, but there's obviously something else going on within the image, similar to some of Anton Corbijn's photographs. He draws and designs in a manner that is like a photograph, and when he gets into textures, it adds another dimension. I like how he can do something very distorted and ugly on one end, and then get into something quite sexy:

I've also seen some work by newer artists, but haven't kept track of their names.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Jim Flora.

Great call. It's nice to see some unexpected ones in here with the stand by's.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Well, if we're talking about album cover design, and not just illustrations, I give the utmost respect to Haig Adishian, who had a major hand in the look and feel of many Atlantic-related albums of the 60's and early 70's. He gave their albums a visual asthetic, with graphics and lettering, that definitely helped/assisted towards the listening experience:

On the metal tip Pushead rules!

Check this site for all his album work

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Raymond Pettibon kills it too!