Def Jam 101 (textbook related)

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
In the early ???80s, the music industry wrote off hip-hop as a passing fad. Few could or would have predicted that the improvised raps and raw beats busting out of New York City???s urban underclass would one day become a multimillion-dollar business and one of music???s most lucrative genres.Among those few were two visionaries: Russell Simmons, a young black man from Hollis, Queens, and Rick Rubin, a Jewish kid from Long Island. Though the two came from different backgrounds, their all-consuming passion for hip-hop brought them together. Soon they would revolutionize the music industry with their groundbreaking label, Def Jam Records.Def Jam, Inc. traces the company???s incredible rise from the NYU dorm room of nineteen-year-old Rubin (where LL Cool J was discovered on a demo tape) to the powerhouse it is today; from financial struggles and scandals???including The Beastie Boys???s departure from the label and Rubin???s and Simmons???s eventual parting???to revealing anecdotes about artists like Slick Rick, Public Enemy, Foxy Brown, Jay-Z, and DMX.Stacy Gueraseva, former editor in chief of Russell Simmons???s magazine, Oneworld, had access to the biggest players on the scene, and brings you real conversations and a behind-the-scenes look from a decade???and a company???that turned the music world upside down. She takes you back to New York in the ???80s, when late-night spots such as Danceteria and Nell???s were burning with young, fresh rappers, and Simmons and Rubin had nothing but a hunch that they were on to something huge.Far more than just a biography of the two men who made it happen, Def Jam, Inc. is a journey into the world of rap itself. Both an intriguing business history as well as a gritty narrative, here is the definitive book on Def Jam???a must read for any fan of hip-hop as well as all popular-culture junkies. umm...

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i'll be reading that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Introduction by Brett Ratner"

WTF???

• "Introduction by Brett Ratner"

WTF???

Is that the same Brett Ratner as the "Bad Movie Directing" one????

WTF???

yes, as in "hack that stole my girl, Serena" Brett Ratner

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

WTF???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This looks kind of bad (it's by "Stacy Gueraseva, former editor in chief of Russell Simmons???s magazine, Oneworld"--what credentials!)

It's also close to ten years late...

This looks kind of bad (it's by "Stacy Gueraseva, former editor in chief of Russell Simmons???s magazine, Oneworld"--what credentials!)

It's also close to ten years late...

I also see now that it's being published by One World/Ballantine--it's gonna be pure uncritical fluff.

• "Introduction by Brett Ratner"

WTF???

That's quite a nipple you got there Serena...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

WTF???

That's quite a nipple you got there Serena...

yes sir.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

WTF???

Look at that dudes shoes. Man, how could you date a broad like Serena, have her out on town while she's looking crazy banging, and take her out in public where some butt-ugly kicks that don't even match the rest of your outfit. Cot damn homie.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'd much rather see one written by rubin's people (and by people i mean "sherpa")

Look at that dudes shoes. Man, how could you date a broad like Serena, have her out on town while she's looking crazy banging, and take her out in public where some butt-ugly kicks that don't even match the rest of your outfit. Cot damn homie.

That bum thing is something that youngish white people do to telegraph that they are so rich they don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuu.

That bum thing is something that youngish white people do to telegraph that they are so rich they don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuu.

Naw man, I'm going to have to overule you on this one *pasue*. I think the dude can't rock his shit right and is just a incompetent dresser. Like if he was trying to do the whole ironic thing he would have a "Kansas is for lovers" t-shirt or a hooded sweatshirt undeneath that blazer or something.

man i'm really giving myself a bad look here by breaking down outfits and shit.

Naw man, I'm going to have to overule you on this one *pasue*. I think the dude can't rock his shit right and is just a incompetent dresser. Like if he was trying to do the whole ironic thing he would have a "Kansas is for lovers" t-shirt or a hooded sweatshirt undeneath that blazer or something.

Nah, man.

Hipster kids living off their parents = ironic smedium tees

Genuinely rich = straight slob

Nah, man.

Hipster kids living off their parents = ironic smedium tees

Genuinely rich = straight slob

I think Faux is on to something.

God it makes me sad to see her with some one more schlubby than me.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

No 'Naldo PM necessary (although he might want to point out that your use of the word "broad" came across a bit overcompensating for the impending queeniness of your couture critique).

PS Hi, P*trick! Missed you last night (PASUE).

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    looks alot like this one, that came out years ago...

it's probably more up to date though, the above book only goes up to the DMX era. Could be quite interesting (or not) to learn the inside story about how jay-z became CEO.

No 'Naldo PM necessary (although he might want to point out that your use of the word "broad" came across a bit overcompensating for the impending queeniness of your couture critique).

PS Hi, P*trick! Missed you last night (PASUE).

1). overcompensate? never that. I called my date on monday a broad, she thought it was cool.

2). Dude ,I laid down to watch lil' movie then the next thing I know it's 8:30 in AM.