Producerstrut

inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
so what do y`all use to make beats? reveal your studio secrets here`s my setup: i work on a pc running cubase sx. i`m not really a software-guy, but i do love all the waves/PSP/ohmforce/Native Instruments stuff.my hardware gear: Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 6, Roland JX3p, Korg Ms10 & Poly61, Yamaha DX 7, Oberheim Matrix6, SSB Syntec Banana ( sick shit & ), Sequential SixTrak, MicroKorg.Others: Mackie Desk, Terratec Phase 26 USB. I`d love to get an Sp1200, but they`re going for big bucks these days.any other collectors of old synthesizers/hardware on here?

Comments

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    an SP-303 and thats it.... and the rubbishness in my equiptment selection is equaly reflected in the rubbishness of my beats!

i think i prefer listening to records.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I`d love to get an Sp1200, but they`re going for big bucks these days.

Like,how much?? Coz i kept mine but i wanna know if i'm sitting on gold...lol.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Your basic broke-ass producer set-up, no vintage gear yet...
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Maddd random precussion instruments...
    Just picked this up on the weekend, and I'm having soooo much fun with it (and Amplitube 2).

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    mpc4k, motu828 mk2, mackie control universal, mbox2, tech1200s, rane 56.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    microkorg is a whole lot of fun
    vocoder and more vocoder

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I got mine for a little under $1500. I maybe could've found one for a little cheaper, but I wanted immediate gratification, and that seemed to be the going rate, give or take a couple hundred bucks.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    PT 101
    $100 LAPTOP
    BOZ SCAGGZ BRAK

REAL HIP HOP

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    I use Reason 3.0 and Recycle 2.0, as well as M-Box, Trigger Finger, and I have an Oxygen 25 Key and a Korg Legacy, neither of which I use... Along with Rane TTM57SL, Techs, etc...
    Peace
    Zeb

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I got mine for a little under $1500. I maybe could've found one for a little cheaper, but I wanted immediate gratification, and that seemed to be the going rate, give or take a couple hundred bucks.

It gets scary when you break it down in terms of $ per second of sampling time. But you just can't beat it.

I've got an MPC 60 MK2 running the 3.10 OS, such an intuitive machine. About to pick up a vintage filter unit raer and an 8-in soundcard.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    still reppin the sp1200
    still reppin the portabello
    still repping crate
    still............

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Reason
    Live
    Cool Edit
    Ozone controler
    5 1200s
    2 mics
    Peavy Bass (I know, it sucks)
    Electric Ukulele
    mixers
    5000 records

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Fatar 88 key midi keyboard (weighted)
    Fender mexican strat
    Ibanez bass SRX700
    70's epiphone acoustic
    rane ttm57
    2 technics sl-d202
    random percussion instruments
    6 or 7 crates of records

computer -
    PC, core duo 6400, 2gigs ram,
    maudio audiophile 24/96
    protools, soundforge audition
    lots of plugs and soft synths
    Kontakt with lots of samples

• slushslush 691 Posts
    a banana! thats cool.

my weird setup (no mpc-o)
    Sequential Circuits Multitrak
    Casio Cz101
    roland sh1000
    DX7
    BOSS RC50 L00PER
    guitars/records/xylos/toy samplers/etc.
    AKAI mfc filter
    soft synths
    ableton/reaktor

with weight on each thing depending on the project. I switch between rap, songwritey stuff with synths, and faster tempo 120-130 shit. I don't release much... right now just through DJ benzi. My first 12 pretty soon though... looking forward to that.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Cubase sx3, rme multiface, phatman compressor, dbx compressor, bass geetar, mpc60 mk1, akai s950, akai s01, art monitors, soundcraft mixer, edirol pcr-1, not enough cables and home made racks/desk.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    YOU CANNOT CREATE REAL HOUSE MUSIC ON A MICROKORG SON

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i gots:

MPC 2000
    MOTU 828 MKII soundcard
    Apple G5 Quad 2.5ghz/2.5gb of ram
    Logic Pro
    Event 20/20 powered monitors
    Yamaha NS-10 monitors
    Realistic MG-1 synth
    Korg Mini-Korg K2 (ill vintage synth)
    Korg Trinity (mainly used as a trigger nowadays)
    Roland RS-202 (just bought it on Sunday , dope string synth from mid 70s)
    various percussion instruments
    few thou records
    2 technics 1200s
    old school numark mixer

i usually use Neumann U87 + avalon 737 for vocals or the TL-Audio C1 tube compressor , but they do not belong to me. Also the Chandler Germanium / TG-2 models are really phat, I like to run synth through those to get heavy sounds.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    YOU CANNOT CREATE REAL HOUSE MUSIC ON A MICROKORG SON
    out for blood in caps

phillystress...

that is what i'm talkin about

How is the Little Phatty? they look real nice...

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    old tracking software
    techs
    vinyl

i knew it. i just KNEW IT.

• idemidem 98 Posts
    mpc 2000 and a whole lotta records . thats all you need .
    i used to use the roland w30 , not the best of quality but that was 12-15 years ago

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I wish I could brag, but I can't, so I shutup. There are a lot of things I'd like to use, stuff I'd like to try out to expand on what I do (and of course to teach me a few new ways to make music). The only lo-fi gadget of interest I've found recently is this:

It's the "UltraQ" from Q-Sound. Befoore surround sound for music resurrected itself from the quadraphonic graveyard (AND DON'T FUCK WITH QUAD, FOOLS!), people were trying to find ways to expand 2-channel listening. I remember in the late 80's, writing to "Goldmine" magazine requesting that labels should release quadraphonic CD's. They said that wasn't possible. Well, had I had a bit of legal sense and a better sense to keep my ideas to myself until I found someone who could bring that idea into reality. I coulda, woulda, shoulda, I know.

Q-Sound was created to give certain sounds a bit of ambience, so that it seemed to come from somewhere other than the 2-channels you were listening to. Or as Wikipedia explains it, "a three-dimensional (3D) sound processing algorithm". It was placed on a small handful of CD's, including Madonna's The Immaculate Collection[/b] and Fates Warning's Parallels[/b]. Before I found this contraption, the only way I assumed one could have Q-Sound was if you had it professionally mixed with the Q-Sound equipment.

Losing touch with my gaming roots in the 90's, I missed out on a lot of games and platforms, and didn't realize that this UltraQ was heavily used to enhance the playing experience. Some games also were mixed with Q-Sound, so if you had a proper way of listening, one could hear people walking through a jungle from behind, or a plane coming up from behind a valley.

Anyway, I found this a few months ago for under $5. Got it home and decided to test it out. It worked, and had it running with regular stereo. I then switched over to the Q-Sound option, and there was a lot more roominess to it. I'm not saying that a Lil' Jon track or "Chicken Noodle Soup" is going to sound like it was done at Rudy Van Gelder's, but it gave the sounds much more depth than it had before. I tried running a mono signal, then moving over to Q-Sound. It gave it a fakey, duophonic-type thing, but it still gave me something I didn't have before, and that was a new effect. I know I can either buy or hunt down and download loads of plug-ins, and that's cool. But if I wanted to mess with some drum sounds for a drum track, or a layer of keyboards, I can run it through this, then to the hard drive, and come up with something unique.

It's not exactly the kind of phasing Jimi Hendrix experimented with on Electric Ladyland[/b], but I like looking for new sounds, or new ways to make sounds, to make my music different than what I did before. I like playing with gadgets, but I have no knowledge, or patience, on how to take it apart, get into the circuitry, and redo everything. If you give me sound and the equipment to take it all in, I'm there. The guts, forget it. If I mess with the equipment and get a "happy accident", I'll tap into that, record it, and see how far I can go.

Other than that, I'm in serious need of an upgrade in everything, but what I'm doing now is good for what it is. Expansion is necessary, so until then, I work with what I have.