Tips for removing sticker residue from vinyl?

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I bought a collection from a dude who used to be a battle DJ. Included are a lot of nice 12"s that are clean except for needle placement stickers in the middle of the grooves.My traditional methods- basically am cleaning fluid- don't work and more or less just spread the residue around. Anyone here with some new & improved tips I might try?

Comments

• I bought a collection from a dude who used to be a battle DJ. Included are a lot of nice 12"s that are clean except for needle placement stickers in the middle of the grooves.
    My traditional methods- basically am cleaning fluid- don't work and more or less just spread the residue around. Anyone here with some new & improved tips I might try?

Maybe trying to ball up the residue with your fingers and then using masking tape to "peel" it off? never had that problem...

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts

wait, you got 12's that some dood use to battle with and they're clean ?!!

anyhoo, i've used them elmers glue trick before with great results, mostly on 45s but I don't see why it woiuldn't pull up some sticker residue if it can pull 40 yr old dirt & grime out of the grooves. not the fastest way to clean a record, but produces great results.

oh yeah, seems a few on this board have had good results with ultrasonic cleaners, bit expensive though.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    Use Ronsonol lighter fluid...it will remove the residue/glue beautifully and the lighter fluid evaporates (or is easily cleaned off with normal cleaning fluid).

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    try that citrus "goo gone" stuff. your records will clean up and smell lemony fresh.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    rubbing alchohol does the trick and quick.

• olskoololskool 77 Posts
    What works best for me is to heat up the sticker for a couple of seconds with a lighter. Afterwards the sticker can be removed easily. Don't do this if the record is still in shrink.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    how about for removing the sticky gunk that price tags leave on the actual record label and not the album cover... any tricks for that?.. lighter fluid as well? i've tried alcohol and it doesn't work well on that kinda paper surface... it's likely to make it start peeling away... any ideas?

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    how about for removing the sticky gunk that price tags leave on the actual record label and not the album cover... any tricks for that?.. lighter fluid as well? i've tried alcohol and it doesn't work well on that kinda paper surface... it's likely to make it start peeling away... any ideas?

Lighter fluid is king in both situations. Seriously, just buy some...it's cheap and won't harm your grooves/covers/labels. Let is soak into the price sticker/glue residue for about ten-fifteen seconds before trying to remove. The sticker should come off without damaging the cover/label (some come off easier than others). Squirt a fair amount directly onto the sticker area..the lighter fluid will look like it's going to leave a stain but it all evaporates with a little time. I RIDE FOR LIGHTER FLUID (Ronsonol is my favorite brand). Practice on a common record if you think you need to.

Goo gone is not recommended for covers/labels (can leave stains)...elmers glue idea is just silly (sorry)...and actual flame from lighter idea is criminal dumb (sorry)...lighter fluid, lighter fluid, LIGHTER FLUID!

• Also, try this solvent called "Bestine"...they sell it at art stores.
    Shit is awesome. Just let it dry on the sticker and it practically falls off, unless it's ol' nasty animal glue.

http://papercement.com/bestine.html