Earth, Wind, and Fire Appreciation

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
Hey Guys,I was doin' my research on Charles Stepney (from the earlier post), because I wondered how he died (I found out by heart attack). Anyway, this made me pull out my Earth, Wind, and Fire LPs ("Open Our Eyes" is now playing as I type). Man, I was struck how I was still so awe-struck by their music after all these years, especially considering the time period when they rose to prominence. I saw them live by in '86 and they were simply amazing!!! Those dudes were so The intricacy, instrumentation, melody, and consciousness of their music was a cut above EVERYTHING else out at the time. They deserve their "big ups" for making great, well-thought-out music palatable to the mainstream (sorry, if this has been done on the 'Strut already). Give those dudes their propers!!!! Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak
LaserWolf

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Argueably the Greatest Band in any genre.

EWF is still light years ahead of cats today.
    Pickles

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

One of my earliest encounters with music as a child. Thank you parents. I still have your "Best of.." copy. True Greats. The Greatest Band in any Genre, ha, that fits.
    Pickles

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I fully agree with this statement. Recently I started a "spring/summery" type mix that I'm going to be giving away which is called "Feeling Good" and is basically just songs that make me feel good... and I started by putting 3 EWF songs on it. I basically had to chill and not make it a "Best Of EWF" mixtape.
    Pickles

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Of course I celebrate all the well known hits and early albums on WB, but I really like some of their later post-Boogie Wonderland output too. I'm always gonna give props to my dude Applejac for puttin' me up on that "My Love" joint by EWF that I slept on for years... that is my SCHITT for real
    PicklesBig_Stacks

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Of course I celebrate all the well known hits and early albums on WB, but I really like some of their later post-Boogie Wonderland output too. I'm always gonna give props to my dude Applejac for puttin' me up on that "My Love" joint by EWF that I slept on for years... that is my SCHITT for real

Applejac from ATL?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Applejac from ATL?

yes

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I fully agree with this statement.

Thirded.

Amazing songwriting, jazz virtuosity, great production, Kiss-level showbiz spectacle at their pinnacle of popularity, tremendous singing, solid LPs more often(and deeper into their career) than most of their contemporaries in any genre, significant contributions to other artists (Emotions, Ramsey Lewis), and a universal message of love, peace and understanding.

Not too shabby. If you don't dig EWF, chances are I will secretly think you're an asshole if if I like you.
    PicklesBig_Stacks

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    One of my all time favorite bands from almost as long as I've been around. When Maurice White leaves this world, I'll be seriously depressed for awhile. I had my parents buy me a kalimba because of them, and I still have it somewhere in a box.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Damn, I was about to post that.
    Pickles

When Maurice White leaves this world, I'll be seriously depressed for awhile.

No Doubt.

I hate to say it within an appreciation thread but he hasnt been looking too good in the last 5 years.
    He did do that latest EW&F song/collabo w/ i think Kirk Franklin. Correct me if Im wrong.
    So its not like he's lettin age and disease slow his ass down. I wouldnt put it past him to drink from urns filled w/ some cosmic energy to stave off the effects of whatever he's diagnosed w/.

When Maurice White leaves this world, I'll be seriously depressed for awhile.

No Doubt.

I hate to say it within an appreciation thread but he hasnt been looking too good in the last 5 years.
    He did do that latest EW&F song/collabo w/ i think Kirk Franklin. Correct me if Im wrong.
    So its not like he's lettin age and disease slow his ass down. I wouldnt put it past him to drink from urns filled w/ some cosmic energy to stave off the effects of whatever he's diagnosed w/.

Parkinson's Disease.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Their first record is an absolute classic. "C'Mon Children", "Bad Tune" ...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    Whats your favorite Columbia record? I like Head To The Sky the best.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

For the CBS years, pretty much anything up to "Powerlight" is great in my opinion. I find myself going back to "I Am" and "Faces" (there is a classic single album hiding in that set) the most.

SG

Gratitude = 11.5

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

For the CBS years, pretty much anything up to "Powerlight" is great in my opinion. I find myself going back to "I Am" and "Faces" (there is a classic single album hiding in that set) the most.

When it comes to E,W&F, I turn on the cutoff switch after 1975 (sorry, all you disco fanatics). But everything leading up to then...if I had to choose a fave Columbia elpee, it would be a tie between Head To The Sky, Open Our Eyes and ...Way Of The World. They say most bands have a three-LP streak where they really hit their stride, and they seemed like they could have owned the whole solar system when they made those records.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    for me the earlier the better with this group, out of their disco hitters id chose brazilian rhyme without nooo doubt!
    Pickles

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Have you guys heard this? It's like an alternate version of the live part of "Gratitude", similar setlist but with a few crucial songs added (Happy Feelin', Evil, Kalimba Story). CD only, but highly recommended.

Have you guys heard this? It's like an alternate version of the live part of "Gratitude", similar setlist but with a few crucial songs added (Happy Feelin', Evil, Kalimba Story). CD only, but highly recommended.

The film That's the Way of the World is also very worth seeing.

I wanted to ask this question. Is it hard to find? DVD or VHS?

It's on DVD (that said, still have not seen it)

You know, I had always been under the impression that it was never even released. It's readily available these days, though--I got it from NetFlix.

You rock silver cowboy boots Rillz?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

This my favorite EWF LP, but "Last Dayz & Times," "Head to the Sky," and "That's the Way of the World" are right up there for me. Hell, I like the first 5 Columbia releases (but "Spirit" and "I Am" aren't slouches either).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

When it comes to E,W&F, I turn on the cutoff switch after 1975 (sorry, all you disco fanatics). But everything leading up to then...if I had to choose a fave Columbia elpee, it would be a tie between Head To The Sky, Open Our Eyes and ...Way Of The World. They say most bands have a three-LP streak where they really hit their stride, and they seemed like they could have owned the whole solar system when they made those records.

i'm certainly no disco fanatic, but to me some of those post-75 ones transcend the genre tags.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    The weather is getting nicer and its a perfect time for this thread to happen.