Earth, Wind, and Fire Appreciation

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Whats your favorite Columbia record? I like Head To The Sky the best.

For the CBS years, pretty much anything up to "Powerlight" is great in my opinion. I find myself going back to "I Am" and "Faces" (there is a classic single album hiding in that set) the most.

When it comes to E,W&F, I turn on the cutoff switch after 1975 (sorry, all you disco fanatics). But everything leading up to then...if I had to choose a fave Columbia elpee, it would be a tie between Head To The Sky, Open Our Eyes and ...Way Of The World. They say most bands have a three-LP streak where they really hit their stride, and they seemed like they could have owned the whole solar system when they made those records.

I'm with you, but I really only dig their WB stuff. Just knowing that this is one of Bill O'Reilly's favorite groups gives me willies I have not yet begun to shake.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    IMO they didn't really hit their stride until the Columbia releases

Sweetback and the WB albums are aight but not THE ELEMENTS proper

Its been a while since I've listened to the late 70s LPs but from memory they didn't really 'go disco' the way most of their peers did

But the first several Columbia releases =

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    after the love is gone

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I like those first two WB albums a lot, but they don't come close to capturing what made this group so special.

Sweetback is junk, IMO--I got rid of my copy years ago.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Its been a while since I've listened to the late 70s LPs but from memory they didn't really 'go disco' the way most of their peers did

Even so, it's hard to believe that they followed up a funk/rock extravaganza like Gratitude with Spirit - all the rough edges were totally shaved off, never to return.

• I like that brazillian rhyme joint.
    parapapapapapap.. parrapapapap... (whatever)

(I loved atari)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I like those first two WB albums a lot, but they don't come close to capturing what made this group so special.

Sweetback is an OST, and sounds like it. It is essentially incidental music, and while I like it as such, it's no match for what came later.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!
    Edit: I know it does not really "show" how good Earth Wind and Fire are but still. TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!

TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!
    Edit: I know it does not really "show" how good Earth Wind and Fire are but still. TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!

I think anyone touting it as an EWF masterpiece doesn't really know that much, but would like people to think he does.

Oh! Hi Superpoaster!

• Sweetback is junk, IMO--I got rid of my copy years ago.

TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!

I think anyone touting it as an EWF masterpiece doesn't really know that much, but would like people to think he does.

Oh! Hi Superpoaster!

sweetback is just a nice early glimpse tho...it's jus a couple of jams anyways...when melvin grabbed them for the movie, they were like some no name band..."they call themselves Earth Wind & Fire"

...i'm pretty sure they recorded sweetback before their first album dropped?
    please to correct if i dunno...got them both at '71

TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!

Oh! Hi Superpoaster!

sweetback is just a nice early glimpse tho...it's jus a couple of jams anyways...when melvin grabbed them for the movie, they were like some no name band..."they call themselves Earth Wind & Fire"

I believe you are correct. Maurice White had been playing drums with Ramsey Lewis prior to assembling EWF.

• Sweetback is junk, IMO--I got rid of my copy years ago.

TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!

Oh! Hi Superpoaster!

I believe you are correct. Maurice White had been playing drums with Ramsey Lewis prior to assembling EWF.

oh yes...and no slouch on this:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

TAKE IT THE FUCK BACK!

Oh! Hi Superpoaster!

By no means is it a EWF masterpiece. But it has some very very nice songs on it. My favourite blaxploitation record to dynamite bros.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sweetback is an OST, and sounds like it. It is essentially incidental music, and while I like it as such, it's no match for what came later.

Incidental music + MVP's rotten vocals

Incidental music + MVP's rotten vocals

"DO YOU WANT TO FITE ME, SOn? "

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i cant imagine dismissing EW&F's disco output

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i cant imagine dismissing EW&F's disco output

True.

There a noticable difference in this compared to.....

I like both.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    what's the EWF tune they had on Menace 2 Society? i think it was when the parents were partying

Did anyone cop that Extended/Deluxe CD of GRATITUDE? It came out about 4 years ago.

It's just remastered w/ a medley - Serpentine Fire/Saturday Nite/Can't Hide Love/Reasons from some tv show appearence.

• yearnin' learnin' kills it.

• Your going to say I'm a sentimental shit, but when I'm in the dumps I throw on Think About Loving You, offa the Need For Love Album... any band that can drop the soft as large as the loud is TOP Notch. b,121>IS the rumor that there is connection between them and the Pharaohs true?

• I don't think they ever made a bad album. or even a mediocre album

After System Of Survival, which is just them workin the Urban thang, this album is unbearable.

• I Miss Music (Sniff)

Anyone remember their HBO special w/ the Fake Darth Vader dude?

RIP Maurice White

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Damn, damn, damn!!!  Mr. White and Earth, Wind, and Fire were my very first source of music appreciation.  Even as a young lad, I knew EWF's music was a cut above everything else.  I had the pleasure of seeing them perform in 1986 at Greensboro Arena (NC).  It was one of the best live performances I have ever seen.  I am so saddened by the loss of one of my musical heroes.  Rest in peace, Mr. White.  I thank you for the indelible imprint you have made on music forever.  Your work will never be forgotten.

My favorite:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    RAJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Favorite song on their debut... C'mon Children!

Big_Stacks

Favorite off The Need of Love:

Favorite Song off Lost Days and Time:

Favorite Song off Head to the Sky: