Charles Stepney

tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Cross pollinating from another board, as this has made for some really good listening this afternoon ...The Soul Arranger (Part 1) - Charles StepneyFrom a Marc Mac podcast: http://marc4hero.podomatic.com/

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Charles Stepney was a genius. Thank you for posting this.

I know we had a thread about him years ago, but we should make this the "definitive" Stepney thread.

• tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
    Taken from Marc's site:

Tracklisting:

I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun - Rotary Connection
    Memory Band - Minnie Riperton
    Memory Band - Rotary Connection
    Free and Easy - The Dells
    Dancing Girl - Terry Calier
    Black Gold - Phil Upchurch
    Loveley Is Today - Eddie Harris
    Cry Baby Cry - Ramsey Lewis
    Love Has Fallen On Me - Rotary Connection
    Les Fleur - Minnie Riperton
    Summer Place - The Dells
    Fair But So Uncool- EWF
    Cause you love me baby - Denise Williams
    Cant Hide Love - EWF

"I have always been moved by great orchestral accompaniments and the amazing arrangers of the 60's and 70's, sadly this art form is slowly receding throughout today???s Soul music. Although I also love the classical/pop arrangements of masters such as George Martin, Lalo Schifrin, Hal & Burt and the great reggae arrangements of Brian Rogers (arranged for Jamaican singer John Holt) throughout this series of podcasts I wanna focus on my fave soul arrangers cats like Charles Stepney, Richard Evans, Gene Page, Wade Marcus, Charles Chalmers, Quincy Jones and Jerry Peters. Kicking off with the genius of Charles Stepney.
    A friend (Dez Parkes) once said to me???
    A producer builds the house??? ???the foundation??? then calls in??? the arranger??? the electrician who fill the house with light and power."

More info:
    http://www.wholecircleround.co.uk/discovision/spins/stepney1.htm

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

This is such a great song. I will be listening to this when I get home. No doubt.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I celebrate Mr. Stepney's entire catalog.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The second installation of this mix is of Richard Evans productions.

I downloaded both last night and am waiting for the right time to ride them out.

Genius material.

• I celebrate Mr. Stepney's entire catalog.

I know this is a dumb question, but on a Mac how do I download/save this as an mp3? I need this in my life. I made a tape last week with almost the same track listing, but still, I need this...

• tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
    option-click on the link.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I know this is a dumb question, but on a Mac how do I download/save this as an mp3?

And here's the Richard Evans mix:

http://marc4hero.podomatic.com/enclosure/2007-05-01T17_34_48-07_00.mp3

That Marc Mac podcast site doesn't function right in Safari. Open it in Firefox instead.

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts

Excuse me for the serious serious late pass but that Terry Callier track is butter. Now I need some Terry Callier in my life.

After peeping out Charles Stepney's discog, cat was a serious genius.

Thanks for the tracks....listening on the desktop right now...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I already mentioned this on the "school me on some psych" thread, but I'll "reissue" it for this thread:

A week ago I picked up this compilation on Chess called Petal Pushers, which was a compilation of UK psych originally released on Pye Records in England. (Chess and Pye used to license each other's material.) There are these brief interludes between songs, and the first song on either side is Minnie Riperton parodying opera singing while Stepney backs her up on piano...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The recent WaxPo article on Stephney was very well done. A true genius indeed. All of the Rotary Connection records are absolute staples for me.

I've heard there is quite a bit of unreleased material from his home studio too, especially with Callier. Anyone know if there are plans for this?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Brownswood are releasing a couple of tracks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I already mentioned this on the "school me on some psych" thread, but I'll "reissue" it for this thread:

A week ago I picked up this compilation on Chess called Petal Pushers, which was a compilation of UK psych originally released on Pye Records in England. (Chess and Pye used to license each other's material.) There are these brief interludes between songs, and the first song on either side is Minnie Riperton parodying opera singing while Stepney backs her up on piano...

You sure they were just interludes? I recall there being two tracks that sounded like a proto-Rotary outfit. Full tracks, I mean.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

From a Marc Mac podcast: http://marc4hero.podomatic.com/

I've been listening to the Mizell Brothers Special from that podcast page for the past 3 weeks. Good stuff.

http://marc4hero.podomatic.com/enclosure/2006-12-20T14_49_12-08_00.mp3

You sure they were just interludes? I recall there being two tracks that sounded like a proto-Rotary outfit. Full tracks, I mean.

Well, I've only listened to that joker once so far, but but I remember the UK tracks being rather distinct. 'Cause on some tracks, there's hardly any gaps between the interludes and the songs...you can obviously tell where those hard Chess drums end and the London freakbeat sets in.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I celebrate Mr. Stepney's entire catalog.

On this fine Saturday evening, I pulled out the Stepney's and the bottle of Talisker 10, and sir, I can say I completely co-sign. Rotary Connection first couple and Minnies first are sublime.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Taken from Marc's site:

Tracklisting:

I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun - Rotary Connection
    Memory Band - Minnie Riperton
    Memory Band - Rotary Connection
    Black Gold - Phil Upchurch
    Loveley Is Today - Eddie Harris
    Cry Baby Cry - Ramsey Lewis
    Love Has Fallen On Me - Rotary Connection
    Les Fleur - Minnie Riperton
    Summer Place - The Dells
    Fair But So Uncool- EWF
    Cause you love me baby - Denise Williams
    Cant Hide Love - EWF

"I have always been moved by great orchestral accompaniments and the amazing arrangers of the 60's and 70's, sadly this art form is slowly receding throughout today???s Soul music. Although I also love the classical/pop arrangements of masters such as George Martin, Lalo Schifrin, Hal & Burt and the great reggae arrangements of Brian Rogers (arranged for Jamaican singer John Holt) throughout this series of podcasts I wanna focus on my fave soul arrangers cats like Charles Stepney, Richard Evans, Gene Page, Wade Marcus, Charles Chalmers, Quincy Jones and Jerry Peters. Kicking off with the genius of Charles Stepney.
    A friend (Dez Parkes) once said to me???
    A producer builds the house??? ???the foundation??? then calls in??? the arranger??? the electrician who fill the house with light and power."

More info:
    http://www.wholecircleround.co.uk/discovision/spins/stepney1.htm

Yo,

Let's not forget about:

-Thom Bell.
    -Gamble & Huff.
    -Leon Ware.
    -Dave Van DePitte.
    -Eugene Record.
    -Willie Mitchell.

And yes, Charles Stepney (1931-1976) was and left earth far too prematurely. A truly gifted man!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Summer Place - The Dells

Forgot I had this!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I want that! $48 on gemm. Is how hard is this to find outside of gemm?

I want that! $48 on gemm. Is how hard is this to find outside of gemm?

This definitely doesn't turn up on a regular basis, I'd say.