SABBATH WICKED MIX 666

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
It began with a dream, and now it is consumed in fire.Back in 1989, my best friend Julio and I got tickets to see Black Sabbath perform at the Tower Theatre in Philadelphia. After weeks of anticipation and mental and physical preparation we got ready to set out on that fateful Friday evening to experience darkness in it's truest form. We stocked up on the supplies, including a half empty bottle of Old Grand Dad and a nickel bag of brown herb - which we had nothing to smoke it out of so we resorted to coring out an apple. We rode the EL train for miles and waited in line outside of the show in the cold, dark night. Once inside, we were bombarded by the loudest and most potent sounds I had ever heard in my young life. We were witnesses to all the power and glory that is Sabbath. Forever altered, we returned to Julio's house and broke out the guitars. After a few hours of trying to perfect "Iron Man" we eventually moved on to more challenging - but not as spiritually important - numbers like "Smoke On The Water."Fast forward to the summer of 2006. Sabbath was in the air again. It had never left but at this time it seemed to be permeating through the collective consciousness of "the people." After weeks of publicly declaring my allegiance to Sabbath and insisting that we must take this one step further, together with Matt So Real, Sabbath In The Park was born. What was just a natural progression to us metamorphosed like pupa to chrysalis to moth. The flames burned a little hotter that night. Something was summoned that none of us could have expected, from both a deep dark place and from within ourselves. The spirit was now alive, MAD BEER was in effect, and it was going down, dudes.After several successful events across the continent, facing and beating "The Man" (proving once and for all that the Power Of Sabbath is too much for man's puny "laws") and gaining devotees from all over the globe, we are now pleased to present SABBATH WICKED MIX 666. Recorded live amongst the throngs of evil and including special guest commentary from Austin's SXSW festival, come with us and live the dream, and bask within the fire of Sabbath.Sabbath Wicked Mix 666 (Austin Texas Edition)

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    DUDE.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Awesometastically delicious.

I saw Sabbath on their New Years' Evil show on Dec 31st, 1999. I had to go solo 'cause all my friends were like "Are you crazy?! Those white folks are gonna go NUTS! We won't be safe there!"

Fuckin' pussyfaces.

Herm

• Has anyone from Sabbath contacted you because of Sabbath in the Park?

Thanks for the mix!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Has anyone from Sabbath contacted you because of Sabbath in the Park?

Thanks for the mix!

It's going down, dude.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Has anyone from Sabbath contacted you because of Sabbath in the Park?

Thanks for the mix!

It's going down, dude.

My favorite aspect of this whole twisted saga is that you are calling it "Sabbath in the Park". Although, I assume this is unintentional, the resonances with "Shakespeare in the Park" are undeniable. In my mind I imagine not an army of yuppies on picnic blankets enjoying an evening of fine drama but rather a leather clad hoard overturning garbage cans and smashing their faces against the local flora as a giant outdoor sound system blares "Changes" to end the night. A sort of anti-"Shakespeare in the Park" if you will. Please confirm the realness of my presumptions.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    YO!
    Thank you Thank You Thank You...
    Can anyone ID a track near the beginning?
    the chorus talks about a guilty woman or a dirty woman maybe.
    I have all the Sabbath from S/T through Sabotage and don't remember ever
    hearing that one.
    Ozzy and Co. just lay waste to the rocking and rolling!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    we had nothing to smoke it out of so we resorted to coring out an apple.

Fuck yeah.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    This is going to get mad play in the car on my morning commute, muchas gracias.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    excellent! thanks a lot

I still have your history of hip hop mixes on my ipod commute soundtrack, thanks a million for them.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Back in 1989, my best friend and I

Love this.

[color:white]Back in 1989 my best friend and I "borrowed" his mom's car late one night and drove into the foothills, blasting Sabbath on the tape deck, looking for some cows to stab. We had this idea that if we practiced on animals then when we had to stab some real humans ('cause, you know, inevitably, you're bound to stab someone?) we would be ready and wouldn't flinch or chicken out or anything.

So we're driving through the foothills in the middle of the night, blasting Sabbath on the tape deck, looking for some cows to stab, which is kinda hard, considering witnesses, location, barbed wire, darkness, etc. We rounded a corner and a fox ran out into the street in front of us. Instinctively, my friend stomped on the brakes. Then we shot a Sabbathified glance at one another--considered the chances--and he took his foot off the brake and mashed the gas. We ran the fox down, stopped the car, got out, and ran back to where it was lying.

There it lie, all warm and twitchy. Dead. Or dying. We picked it up and put it in the trunk of my friend's mom's car. We sped to a nearby riverside park, got the fox out of the trunk, built a little fire with some twigs, and burned it's body. After burning it for a few hours, we used a shovel to separate it's head from it's body. We dunked the head in the river to stop the smoldering, then piled back in the car, fox head in the trunk, just as the sun was rising... Sabbath still playing.

Mom was gone, so we took the fox head inside, put it in a pot of boiling water and waited. We were going to boil the brains and skin off the bone, so we'd have this cool souvenir from our night out. After a few hours, it was all tissuey and pretty disgusting. I remember my sister completely freaked out when she saw dude and I getting all Stovetop Sabbath, so to speak. My sister and I had a pretty contemptuous sibling rivalry. She being planted firmly in the 'post-modern'/new wave/fag camp, and me and my dude with our heads so far up the hesher camp's ass we could only see darkness.

So, we couldn't get the brains and goo out of the skull. We finally realized the skull was completely crushed. All our work was fruitless. Just mush and a pile of broken bones. When my mom got home she gave me one of the more serious very concerned looks she'd ever given me (such looks were plentiful in our house). The pot went in the trash. The fox skull got dumped in the backyard near the fence. My best friend's mom's trunk got washed out with a hose.

To say I had very, very few friends back then would be a king-sized understatement. Our little crew were the outcasted dregs everyone voted Most Likely To Succeed [in Prison]. All the "bad" kids in my town kinda gravitated to my room. The beaten kids. Kids with dad in prison. Mom working two jobs and too busy to care. Totally Angry Dad kids. Jeff's step-dad sold speed and had a drum set in the garage and drove a Camaro. Danny's dad would kick the shit out of him, and whoever else was around. Martin was the smartest of all of us, his brother was at MIT, his mom had three jobs and his dad was a drunk that sold furniture and had moved away a long time ago. My house was the "cool" house, because my mom was drunk and my dad was nowhere to be found. Which meant we could listen to the stereo in my room really loud and eat whatever we wanted and not have to explain to anyone what we were doing. "Cool," perhaps, but totally fucking terrible, for certain. No way for a kid to live. That goes for all of us (those of us who made it out).

When all that stuff with Ozzy happened, where one of his songs was cited as the "cause" for kids dying--before Tipper started her PMRC campaign to advise parents of explicit lyrics, lyrics that may make children take lives--I had to chuckle. Are people that stupid? That is, if I'm wylin out trying to teach myself how to stab someone, practicing on bovinely beasts, I can assure you there's more at work than some fucking Black Sabbath song. Ask dad, Mr. All Fists. Ask mom, if you can wake her from the stupor. As step-dad, Mr. Weird Hands. Touched By An Uncle, man. Kids are crazy. Go figure? Look who's fucking rearing them.

Sabbath was the only reasonable thing to listen to, for fuck's sake. I think you know this, Cosmo.[/color]

Revolution in their minds - the children start to march
    Against the world which they have to live in
    Oh! The hate that's in their hearts
    They're tired of being pushed around and told just what to do
    They'll fight the world until they've won and love comes flowing through

You know what I'm saying?

I don't fuck with Mad Beer, so this Park thing probably isn't for me. Plus, I don't really have a grasp of what all is involved here, but I get the feeling it's heavy and probably needs a warning sticker.

Peace to you and your man Julio and getting all bedroom rocker on "Iron Man."

Children of the Grave,
    ~Bambouche

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Wow. i'm at work and could only get 8 or so minutes in, but holy shit, i don't know that i'm ready for the rest!

using this graemlin is so insufficient. can we blow it up to like 7 inches by 7 inches?

gotta give it a too.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Yo this mix is great!
    Did some girl really set her hair on fire for Sabbath?!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, Maggie Horn's hair caught on fire in Brooklyn the exact minute we commenced with Sabbath In The Park in Austin. That's like all that Hawking shit I'm talking. She's the First Woman of Sabbath In The Park, dudes.

Can anyone ID a track near the beginning?
    the chorus talks about a guilty woman or a dirty woman maybe.
    I have all the Sabbath from S/T through Sabotage and don't remember ever
    hearing that one.

I think you're talking about "Gypsy" which is on Technical Ecstasy (a criminally slept on LP.)

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    cranked this mix up first thing this morning at the office. didn't even hear a coworker scream: "You rocking out this morning?" Good Look. Thanks.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Thanks.
    Sounds great so far.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Awesometastically delicious.

I saw Sabbath on their New Years' Evil show on Dec 31st, 1999. I had to go solo 'cause all my friends were like "Are you crazy?! Those white folks are gonna go NUTS! We won't be safe there!"

Fuckin' pussyfaces.

Herm

yes!!! with Slayer and Pantera at the old Bank one Balpark. that night was priceless in my book.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Ohhh man I'm so ready for this. You've just sealed my driving music for the next month. Many many thanks!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Back in 1989, my best friend and I

Love this.

[color:white]Back in 1989 my best friend and I "borrowed" his mom's car late one night and drove into the foothills, blasting Sabbath on the tape deck, looking for some cows to stab. We had this idea that if we practiced on animals then when we had to stab some real humans ('cause, you know, inevitably, you're bound to stab someone?) we would be ready and wouldn't flinch or chicken out or anything.

So we're driving through the foothills in the middle of the night, blasting Sabbath on the tape deck, looking for some cows to stab, which is kinda hard, considering witnesses, location, barbed wire, darkness, etc. We rounded a corner and a fox ran out into the street in front of us. Instinctively, my friend stomped on the brakes. Then we shot a Sabbathified glance at one another--considered the chances--and he took his foot off the brake and mashed the gas. We ran the fox down, stopped the car, got out, and ran back to where it was lying.

There it lie, all warm and twitchy. Dead. Or dying. We picked it up and put it in the trunk of my friend's mom's car. We sped to a nearby riverside park, got the fox out of the trunk, built a little fire with some twigs, and burned it's body. After burning it for a few hours, we used a shovel to separate it's head from it's body. We dunked the head in the river to stop the smoldering, then piled back in the car, fox head in the trunk, just as the sun was rising... Sabbath still playing.

Mom was gone, so we took the fox head inside, put it in a pot of boiling water and waited. We were going to boil the brains and skin off the bone, so we'd have this cool souvenir from our night out. After a few hours, it was all tissuey and pretty disgusting. I remember my sister completely freaked out when she saw dude and I getting all Stovetop Sabbath, so to speak. My sister and I had a pretty contemptuous sibling rivalry. She being planted firmly in the 'post-modern'/new wave/fag camp, and me and my dude with our heads so far up the hesher camp's ass we could only see darkness.

So, we couldn't get the brains and goo out of the skull. We finally realized the skull was completely crushed. All our work was fruitless. Just mush and a pile of broken bones. When my mom got home she gave me one of the more serious very concerned looks she'd ever given me (such looks were plentiful in our house). The pot went in the trash. The fox skull got dumped in the backyard near the fence. My best friend's mom's trunk got washed out with a hose.

To say I had very, very few friends back then would be a king-sized understatement. Our little crew were the outcasted dregs everyone voted Most Likely To Succeed [in Prison]. All the "bad" kids in my town kinda gravitated to my room. The beaten kids. Kids with dad in prison. Mom working two jobs and too busy to care. Totally Angry Dad kids. Jeff's step-dad sold speed and had a drum set in the garage and drove a Camaro. Danny's dad would kick the shit out of him, and whoever else was around. Martin was the smartest of all of us, his brother was at MIT, his mom had three jobs and his dad was a drunk that sold furniture and had moved away a long time ago. My house was the "cool" house, because my mom was drunk and my dad was nowhere to be found. Which meant we could listen to the stereo in my room really loud and eat whatever we wanted and not have to explain to anyone what we were doing. "Cool," perhaps, but totally fucking terrible, for certain. No way for a kid to live. That goes for all of us (those of us who made it out).

When all that stuff with Ozzy happened, where one of his songs was cited as the "cause" for kids dying--before Tipper started her PMRC campaign to advise parents of explicit lyrics, lyrics that may make children take lives--I had to chuckle. Are people that stupid? That is, if I'm wylin out trying to teach myself how to stab someone, practicing on bovinely beasts, I can assure you there's more at work than some fucking Black Sabbath song. Ask dad, Mr. All Fists. Ask mom, if you can wake her from the stupor. As step-dad, Mr. Weird Hands. Touched By An Uncle, man. Kids are crazy. Go figure? Look who's fucking rearing them.

Sabbath was the only reasonable thing to listen to, for fuck's sake. I think you know this, Cosmo.[/color]

Revolution in their minds - the children start to march
    Against the world which they have to live in
    Oh! The hate that's in their hearts
    They're tired of being pushed around and told just what to do
    They'll fight the world until they've won and love comes flowing through

You know what I'm saying?

I don't fuck with Mad Beer, so this Park thing probably isn't for me. Plus, I don't really have a grasp of what all is involved here, but I get the feeling it's heavy and probably needs a warning sticker.

Peace to you and your man Julio and getting all bedroom rocker on "Iron Man."

Children of the Grave,
    ~Bambouche

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Just in time for Christmas!

I missed this the first time around. Is the mix tracked out? Either way, thank you.

• excellent.