Machine on All Platinum label...

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
anyone have any info on this LP by Machine (S/T) on the All Platinum label..... I know it's the Whatnaughts...it has "World" on it etc....any info would be greatly appreciated.Peace

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    damn someone has to knwo something about this LP... I think it' a promo and it has to be the Whatnaughts prior too. Its on the All Platinum label which I think ended up becoming the Stang label. The cover is blue with tools on it as well as three guys...it has "Why cant we be colors on it" etc etc....

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    Dude, it's rare. Only a handful of cats even know it exists. Saw it on Ebay 3-4 years ago and nobody, I mean nobody has seen it since. Post a photo and audio for the benefit of the world.

I will post a pic of it tomorrow I have to find a way to record, and upload audio... I got it here in Cleveland a guy brought over some old deadstock/ promo packages and this was one of the LP's in it.

I am waiting for my camera to be brought back to me today...however I have figured out that Machine is the studio band for All Platinum Records and this LP is their only joint....featuring the vocals of the Whatnaughts.... also the songs are not exactly the same as the ones on the Whatnaughts LP's and some are totally new/ different ones form what I can tell...when I take the pic I will also take one of the back of the LP as well which describes who Machine is. Thanks to everyone who PM'd with info or with questions about this LP

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've been trying to find this record for fucking years now. I had totally forgotten about it until now... THANKS!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I am waiting for my camera to be brought back to me today...however I have figured out that Machine is the studio band for All Platinum Records and this LP is their only joint....

So I guess they were AFTER Willie & the Mighty Magnificents (who seem to be the house band on some of the earliest All Platinum releases, say 1968-72)?

I am waiting for my camera to be brought back to me today...however I have figured out that Machine is the studio band for All Platinum Records and this LP is their only joint....

So I guess they were AFTER Willie & the Mighty Magnificents (who seem to be the house band on some of the earliest All Platinum releases, say 1968-72)?

Someone needs to write up the history of the early All-Platinum group releases:

Machine
    New Sounds
    Optimistics
    Lee Moses
    Gloria Barnes
    Heartstoppers
    George Scott [anyone got this?]

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I have to find a way to record, and upload audio...

send it over here, we can do this

but seriously i'd love to hear this!

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

New Sounds - Lynchburg, Virginia group, contained Robert Tanner who has the two big 45s on Megatone

Machine
    New Sounds
    Optimistics
    Lee Moses
    Gloria Barnes
    Heartstoppers

All Platinum - now THAT'S a label whose discography I'd like to see on Soulful Kinda Music or Both Sides Now.

I would have wanted to get some of those All Platinum comps that Sequel released a decade ago, but about 50% of those albums were from the disco era, which I don't wanna mess with (plus they'd throw in the occasional Sugarhill track for good measure). All well and good if that's your thing, but I'm more into the earlier things, from '75 on back to the beginning. (That Ponderosa Twins Plus One album is surprisingly good!)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Machine
    New Sounds
    Optimistics
    Lee Moses
    Gloria Barnes
    Heartstoppers

I've been wanting to do this story for Wax Poetics for a while now but I've never been able to make the time - the whole thing from All Platinum, Turbo, Stang, up to Sugar Hill etc. There's a dope story there.

Machine
    New Sounds
    Optimistics
    Lee Moses
    Gloria Barnes
    Heartstoppers

I've been wanting to do this story for Wax Poetics for a while now but I've never been able to make the time - the whole thing from All Platinum, Turbo, Stang, up to Sugar Hill etc. There's a dope story there.

I've been told that Oncoming Times is incredible, but I've never heard it myself outside a couple tracks available on 45 ?

Jason

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Machine
    New Sounds
    Optimistics
    Lee Moses
    Gloria Barnes
    Heartstoppers

I've been told that Oncoming Times is incredible, but I've never heard it myself outside a couple tracks available on 45 ?

Jason

I've never heard it.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    The Oncoming Times is decent, not overwhelming, but decent.
    I believe they were partly a Chicago group.
    The Optimistics LP has two of my fave '70s soul tracks ever on there.

Transplanting hearts and kidneys too
    Is there anything that man cannot do?
    I'm talking about Man...

Machine
    New Sounds
    Optimistics
    Lee Moses
    Gloria Barnes
    Heartstoppers

When I wrote the "Black Bubblegum" chapter of the book Bubblegum Music Is The Naked Truth, I called up Sugarhill Records and spoke to none other than George Kerr (former All Platinum recording artist and a house arranger/songwriter/producer)...I wanted to get some info regarding the Ponderosas and Spoonbread*** and he told me to hit him back the following Saturday. Needless to say, no one was in, so either it was an honest mistake or no one felt like talking.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    [color:blue]***I didn't know it at the time, but there was also a "Little Tracy Kerr" on the label who recorded a version of Michael Jackson's "We Got A Good Thing Going"...if there were any other AP kiddie soul acts naturally I would have wanted to talk with them about it, but it didn't go like that.[/color]

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

I think you underrate Oncoming Times. To me it's more than decent. If you're into albums like The Lovelites and Heartstoppers than this is definitely a solid album too. To me it's one of the few valueble albums that I don't need to cash in on. But that's probably also a matter of taste.

• FrequencyFrequency 115 Posts
    Can we get some audio posting here??

I'm going to upload the Optimistics & Heartstoppers LP's tonight for whoever is interested.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Can we get some audio posting here??

I'm going to upload the Optimistics & Heartstoppers LP's tonight for whoever is interested.

Oh, please do! I need to hear them.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    While on the subject, I just had to post these pics from another board of a friend of mine's All Plat related collection.

While on the subject, I just had to post these pics from another board of a friend of mine's All Plat related collection.

DAMNNN i would kill to hear some of those, like Willie & west etc

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I've been wanting to hear this for a while....thanks!!!

I've been wanting to hear this for a while....thanks!!!

no prob!

can we get some of these other rare-er joints up?

As promised...keeping the thread alive

Optimistics - S/T Turbo 197?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Is the Machine record from 78 on Arista the same group? That record bites. I'd love to hear the All Platinum action tho....

Thanks!!!!!for those uploads. I wish I could return the favour and upload The Oncoming Times but my sound card is broken.

If there's one I'd like to hear it's New Sounds on Turbo. Was it even reissued?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Machine
    New Sounds
    Optimistics
    Lee Moses
    Gloria Barnes
    Heartstoppers

When I wrote the "Black Bubblegum" chapter of the book Bubblegum Music Is The Naked Truth, I called up Sugarhill Records and spoke to none other than George Kerr (former All Platinum recording artist and a house arranger/songwriter/producer)...I wanted to get some info regarding the Ponderosas and Spoonbread*** and he told me to hit him back the following Saturday. Needless to say, no one was in, so either it was an honest mistake or no one felt like talking.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    [color:blue]***I didn't know it at the time, but there was also a "Little Tracy Kerr" on the label who recorded a version of Michael Jackson's "We Got A Good Thing Going"...if there were any other AP kiddie soul acts naturally I would have wanted to talk with them about it, but it didn't go like that.[/color]

I would love to see a well reserched Sylvia Robinson bio. Was she married to or business partners with the guy from Fire/Fury? She is one Black female r&b artist who did not get ripped off by the record industry.

I would love to see a well reserched Sylvia Robinson bio. Was she married to or business partners with the guy from Fire/Fury?

No, her husband is Joe Robinson, who ran All Platinum and Sugarhill with her.