Fania DJ series

Comments

• yeah, these fania cats have been milking it lately. mad comps, and (sadly) lots of overlap. of course, that doesn't change the fact that the music is killer. also, is it just me or are they pulling some cover art inspiration from Soul Sides?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    A lot of those tracks weren't even Fania releases. Yeah, I know Fania bought those catalouges but its not like they couldn't have made seperate Tico, Alegre, and Cotique comps.---one mad doggie

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    It seems like Gilles Peterson will slap his name on anything.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    they were playing that gilles mix in DGA yesterday.. gotta say my toes were tapping non stop.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    It seems like Gilles Peterson will act like he discovered everything and will slap his name on anything.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It seems like Gilles Peterson will act like he discovered everything and will slap his name on anything.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

is it just me, or is that Gilles Peterson Digs America compilation just a smooth-jazz anthology in disguise? Hoiy shit, a lot of that album is pure middle-of-the-road snooze that'd make Najee sound like Junior Walker!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

is it just me, or is that Gilles Peterson Digs America compilation just a smooth-jazz anthology in disguise? Hoiy shit, a lot of that album is pure middle-of-the-road snooze that'd make Najee sound like Junior Walker!

haha!!! true dat!

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts

yeah, Gilles goes too smooth sometimes, but there's some killer stuff on there aswell

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

"You calling my double D dynamite sweet soul "smooth jazz"? I outta pimp slap the taste out of your mouth!"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

yeah, Gilles goes too smooth sometimes, but there's some killer stuff on there aswell

There is some good stuff on there - including Darondo - but for the most part, the female vocalists on the album sing like a soulful Bette Midler, and all the men have a bad case of the Al Jarreaus! (Even though Jarreau was probably still unknown when the tracks were recorded...)

When the whole funk resurgence started in the '90s, I noticed there were all these "acid-jazz" cratedigger types whose idea of raw, backalley funk was some starving jazz musician covering a disco song. Sorry, but that Gilles P. comp reminds me of those kinda people...