From Gypsy Woman to the Pussycat Dolls?

2»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    They are essentially strippers who sing.

Only one of them sings--the rest of them are just eye candy. That's what makes the whole thing extra dumb.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Hold it now wait hold it. The pussycat dolls are essentially not musicians. Did you even watch the series? They are essentially strippers who sing. They are a whole new low to mainstream pop music. Thats why its a shame.

Look, I'm hardly defending the Dolls as some high point in American cultural history but seriously, if you consider them a "low to mainstream pop music" you don't seem to listen to a lot of mainstream pop music.

My sister-in-law is friends with one of the members (they're both former dancers) so I've known about the Dolls before they were a pop music act. They got started as a burlesque dance troupe before Jimmy Iovine, craftybastardgenius as he is, thought there'd be potential there in remaking them into a pop music group.

Manufactured? Hell yeah but shit, no more so than, say, the Sugarhill Gang. And since the group's roots were in burlesque, that's obviously been part of their persona from jump. That part, however, existed years before anyone in the Dolls hit the studio.

I'm not a huge fan of their music (even if Polow is doing beats) but shit, at the end of the day, they're just another pop group with a sexy angle to sell. That's like...90% of pop music right there.

Their reality show was "eh" but the idea that it's gutter trash is pretty ridiculous considering what else is out there.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I'm just saying - I don't exactly think of the Pussycat Dolls as "high culture" or anything but shit, neither was the boogaloo. It's youth culture. You don't always have to like the forms it takes on but there's a lot more bottom of the barrel to plumb than the Dolls.

ehh depends on your view of youth culture. The only people/youth I have heard watching this are more Becky culture than youth culture. This shit is definately not on the radar with my friends, my friends friends, people/kids that come through the store, etc. In fact SS is the first place I have seen this even mentioned.

From what I can tell this is nothing mroe than Pop trash and to make it more than that is pretty dumb. Cosign with Enki on the stripper analogy. Who the hell si wasting their time watching this?!?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    this is nothing mroe than Pop trash and to make it more than that is pretty dumb.

this is nothing mroe than Pop trash and to make it more than that is pretty dumb.

Who the hell si wasting their time watching this?!?

apparently several people in this thread.

Ironically, seems like AttackAddict was watching it.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

My sister-in-law

DOES OLD GIRL GOT A MYSPACE??!?!?!?

yeah she does.

STALKER!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yeah I lost it when I heard this. I picked up 'the best of Joe Bataan' after that Wax Po ish like 4 weeks ago. I googled him after the 1st listen just to see if he is up to anything currently. I saw on his site "vote for my daughter". And I lost it. Like seriously. This shit is terrible.

I wasn't clowning Asia for competing or winning. I mean, when Joe got started, he wasn't that much older than his daughter and he and his band were just trying to get on as well.

Why the hatt?

Because shes Joe's daughter. The PCD are not about music, they are about dancing and strutting there stuff. If your fathers Joe Bataan you cant do this. In my eyes, its a shame.

Joe Bataan was also about dancing and strutting his stuff.

Nooooooo! Joe Bataan was strictly about making music for white record dudes such as myself to enjoy while sitting alone in my four cornered room four decades later. I can feel this essential truth in his music.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I did. I put it on while I made dinner and cleaned-up after work. It was entertainment, not brain surgery.

And as usual, there are some suspect comments being made here about women.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    Dance is just as much of an art and skill as music. She's a professional entertainer who'se good at what she does and is making it at a young age, I don't see the reason for the hatt.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Only one of them sings--the rest of them are just eye candy. That's what makes the whole thing extra dumb.

P**e, you're my boy and all, but honestly, this is just as true of any number of prefab, just-add-water pop acts. The PCD aren't really deserving of greater ire. Plus their target market doesn't give a shit about anything other than catchy tunes (which they got) and funky little dance routines (which they also got). Who really cares if they turn out to be a kind of twenty-something Menudo with added T&A? Complaining about pop being shallow, dumb and superficial's a bit like complaining about ice-cream being cold.

In any case, I'd wager my Bataan LP collection that Joe himself isn't the least embarassed at his daughter. This moral high horse some of ya'll are on is comedy.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Yeah I lost it when I heard this. I picked up 'the best of Joe Bataan' after that Wax Po ish like 4 weeks ago. I googled him after the 1st listen just to see if he is up to anything currently. I saw on his site "vote for my daughter". And I lost it. Like seriously. This shit is terrible.

I wasn't clowning Asia for competing or winning. I mean, when Joe got started, he wasn't that much older than his daughter and he and his band were just trying to get on as well.

Why the hatt?

Because shes Joe's daughter. The PCD are not about music, they are about dancing and strutting there stuff. If your fathers Joe Bataan you cant do this. In my eyes, its a shame.

Joe Bataan was also about dancing and strutting his stuff. It's pretty presumptuous of you to call his daughter "a shame".

What should she be making, a 60s bugalu throwback LP? With the Dap Kings on backup! Yeah. I am sure that is what she wants to do.
    lol, seriously. who the fuck is this mufuckah to be calling anyone a shame?

Yeah, but you are giving all "youth cultures" an equal shake....yes, the bugalu was youth culture and so is dancing to music made by a computer...just because they are both "youth culture", doesnt mean they are equal in importance or entertainment value. I highly doubt there will be magazine retrospectives or reissues projects 30 years from now on the importance or the trailblazing of the Pussycat Dolls. Not going to throw out the word "shame",however, because, shit, she is living better than I am...but I am not about to put her on an equal playing pitch as her Dad or others who are obviously more inventive and talented.

P**e, you're my boy and all, but honestly, this is just as true of any number of prefab, just-add-water pop acts. The PCD aren't really deserving of greater ire. Plus their target market doesn't give a shit about anything other than catchy tunes (which they got) and funky little dance routines (which they also got). Who really cares if they turn out to be a kind of twenty-something Menudo with added T&A? Complaining about pop being shallow, dumb and superficial's a bit like complaining about ice-cream being cold.

Hey, I feel ya, P. You're totally right. I just find it funny--at least with other prefab groups, all the members are fully involved, for better or worse. With PCD, it's the Nicole Sherzinger Show (with backup dancers), which is why it's kind of silly to me that they would make a big deal out of replacing anybody but Nicole.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    dudes getting asshurt about pop stars is like the worst look

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dancing to music made by a computer

You sound like you're about ninety years old

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I highly doubt there will be magazine retrospectives or reissues projects 30 years from now on the importance or the trailblazing of the Pussycat Dolls.

you're RONG

http://www.amazon.com/One-Kiss-Can-Lead-Another/dp/B000B5KRV6

Hey, I feel ya, P. You're totally right. I just find it funny--at least with other prefab groups, all the members are fully involved, for better or worse. With PCD, it's the Nicole Sherzinger Show (with backup dancers), which is why it's kind of silly to me that they would make a big deal out of replacing anybody but Nicole.

If they replaced Nicole, they wouldn't have a game. She is/was Jimmy Iovine's "special friend" after all.

She is/was Jimmy Iovine's "special friend" after all.

Of course.

She was doper on Popstars, anyway.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    In any case, I'd wager my Bataan LP collection that Joe himself isn't the least embarassed at his daughter. This moral high horse some of ya'll are on is comedy.

has anyone actually seen a PCD show (pre-pop stardom)?? those girls can work it. in fact before they were signed, i had a few girl friends who wanted to take dance classes from them. and really if 1/2 the strippers of the world could do more than spin upside down on a stank brass pole, and instead move like PCD, i just might be at the 'club' more often..

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

lol fools defending the PCD because they are only one of many trash pop acts and thus not worthy of being singled out!

that said,

This moral high horse some of ya'll are on is comedy.

no doubt Joey is proud of his lil daughter getting famous.

lol fools defending the PCD because they are only one of many trash pop acts and thus not worthy of being singled out!

that said,

This moral high horse some of ya'll are on is comedy.

no doubt Joey is proud of his lil daughter getting famous.

I'm not defending them. I couldn't really care less about them. I'm merely pointing out, as I thought I had done here...

Complaining about pop being shallow, dumb and superficial's a bit like complaining about ice-cream being cold.

...that expecting modern pop music to be anything more than transient, cookie-cutter fluff is, 99 times out of 100, a losing game.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Look, I'm hardly defending the Dolls as some high point in American cultural history but seriously, if you consider them a "low to mainstream pop music" you don't seem to listen to a lot of mainstream pop music.

I'm not a huge fan of their music (even if Polow is doing beats) but shit, at the end of the day, they're just another pop group with a sexy angle to sell. That's like...90% of pop music right there.

Coming from someone who went out of his way to criticize the Black Eyed Peas about a hundred times, that's saying a lot !

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ummmmmm....the pussycat dolls are good.

buttons was my shit. joe battans daughter is hot!

yes, its usually only 2 of them singing.

but they are still good. fuck yall,

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Boring show except for Lil Kim's Rocky Dennis face

-Becky

lol - well that and the woman/man/woman phenomenon that is Robin Antin.

robin is a platic surgery desperately hanging on to my youth phenomenon

• This thread delivered.

Truly, it's threads like this that helped make Soulstrut great.