Mulholland Drive

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    lest not forget "The Straight Story". Haha thats kind of an ironic title for a Lynch film, ehh?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

All that being said, I haven't seen "Mulholland Drive" so I don't want to comment on it, but I agree that "Blue Velvet" is fucking great. From the political links Lynch is making between the conservative '50s and '80s (and, by extension, the "repression leads to perversion" theme); to the soundtrack; to the purposefully "bad" acting of MacLachlan and Dern (contrasted with Hopper's excellent performance); the opening scene that Awdamn mentions to the hilarious last scene with the bird with the bug in its mouth... man, that movie is fucking perfect.

word. not to mention the two kids meddling with the grown folks is on some hardy boys/encyclopedia brown suburban mystery steez.

shig: i'll be sure to check out that title despite dubious' art school warning but only because we both share a love for godard who is mega art schooley so i got no qualms about that. unfortunately, i wasn't able to peep any of the ghibli titles because the shrubbery we smokeded weighed us down too much. it would have been perfect to watch too - i guess i will have to settle for batman and rent those titles you recommended. i love spirited away so i'm interested in seeing more of that style.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Lynch's movies come from the heart; they are not part of some sort of hustle he put together in order to appeal to some segment of the population. Wes Anderson, on the other hand...

Well last night I saw "Rivers and Tides." That's the shit right there. Building piles of sticks on the beach, uselessly winding stone walls wandering aimlessly through a Scottish forest. That's true art for its own sake. Check this movie YO.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

ha ha! true, but for good reason. lynch's films are watered down versions of what resnais/robbe-grillet laid down. alls im saying is lynch films aspire to be marienbad, in a certain sense, and allow a bunch of corndogs to chill at starbucks and "discuss".

well at least lynch has the good sense to throw in some titties

ps
    what is sctv?

dude are you shittin me!!!!

JOHN FUCKIN CANDY
    EUGENE FUCKIN LEVY
    ANDREA FUCKIN MARTIN
    DAVE FUCKIN THOMAS
    MARTIN FUCKIN SHORT
    RICK FUCKIN MORANIS
    HAROLD FUCKIN RAMIS

THE GREAT WHITE NORTH MOTHER FUCKER

funkin americans.. you're entire comedy industry is ruled by canadians and you can never give us the props!!!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Additionally, I find these little "secret codes" that you can read online to absolutely miss the point of Lynch's work. The challenging nature of Lynch's movies are a huge part of their success and efficacy, and to just find some sort of secret decoder ring online that "explains" everything in some absolute manner is to completely miss the point.

yup. whole heartedly cosign this. you shouldnt have to read articles on the internet to enjoy or understand a movie. if anything, repeated viewings should do the trick

It's OK not to "understand" a film, too. I know I miss a lot of sub-plots and themes and little nuances in films because I don't know the Bible. But that's OK because films can be enjoyed on a sensual/visual/emotional level and not an academic/intellectual one. Greenaway's Baby of Macon is steeped in Catholicism and I don't get half of the references, but that movie shook me to my core.

ms. damn, i guess we can agree to disagree. but if you get the chance, check out "last year at marienbad [l'anee dernier a marienbad]". for my money, a much more invested film as far as the reworking of accepted narrative.

are you on crack dude???

that's only THE most pretensious BS art school wank fest of ALL TIME man... see endless SCTV spoofs

I feel the same about Last Year at Marienbad (at first-reading, the book is even more difficult to decipher). The story might seem obtuse, but damn it looks good!

SCTV is brilliant, but just because they made fun of it doesn't mean it sucks.

CLARIFICATION: I feel the same as Shig about Marienbad.

well since you also mention enjoying peter greenway than i will rest my case that marienbad is just PLAIN bad.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    dang, canada is all up in a twist. and for the record, i appreciate the comic relief of seeing canadians abroad with maple leafs all up in their shit to distinguish them from americans. the chip on their shoulder is quite entertaining.

yet, im still unclear as to what sctv is. sounds like an old tv show ala snl?

missbassie. have you seen not reconciled? i did see this in art class as it was one of the rare times i actually showed up to class, and even more rare was that i wasnt high on the weed. that movie is one great big bong rip. i mean that in a good way, i think.

ps
    mama damn. them ghibli films are showing thoughout the month of june and i seem to recall something about a free thursday at the pfa. i might be mistaken tho...

----hahaha! peep game

ps

what is sctv?

JOHN FUCKIN CANDY

EUGENE FUCKIN LEVY

ANDREA FUCKIN MARTIN

DAVE FUCKIN THOMAS

MARTIN FUCKIN SHORT

RICK FUCKIN MORANIS

HAROLD FUCKIN RAMIS

True dat, but don't forget Second City started in Chicago and let us not forget the other true comedy gangsters of the 70s

BILL FUCKIN MURRAY

DAN FUCKIN ACKROYD

JOHN FUCKIN BELUSHI

GILDA FUCKIN RADNER

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

how i managed to get through 4 years of Art School are beyond me.

It are beyond me, too.

Clearly it wasn't because of your grammar!

ZIIIIIIIIING!

-e

True dat, but don't forget Second City started in Chicago and let us not forget the other true comedy

word but the show is straight hoser so take off eh!

yup. and aint no hoser that can touch

RICHARD FUCKING PRYOR

well since you also mention enjoying peter greenway than i will rest my case that marienbad is just PLAIN bad.

It's officially official - I've got bad taste!

BUSTED by the internet grammar police

• im not a fan of lynch. i feel like dude tries to be confusing without any real stake in why. confusing for the sake of it. plus i got no patience for this. dude is trying too hard to be one of them german abstract expressionists or some shit and it just comes off like some esoteric bourgeois doodoo. just my opinion.

Cosign-a-reeno....

yup. and aint no hoser that can touch

RICHARD FUCKING PRYOR

Brewster Millions baby!!!

Candy & Pryor

north south

we came together !

sorry miss bassie

from a female perspective i guess greenaway movies have some sort of appeal.

ewan mcgregor with his cock out for 3 hours?? i think i shall pass.

sorry miss bassie

from a female perspective i guess greenaway movies have some sort of appeal.

ewan mcgregor with his cock out for 3 hours?? i think i shall pass.

could you please just go back to saying I have bad taste as opposed to referring to my "female perspective"?

cripes dude!

I thought Pillow Book sucked, by the way, and The Baby of Macon has one of the most brutal and harrowing rape scenes in it, so let's just leave it at that.

cripes

havent heard that expression in awhile

sorry fer insinuating that gratuitus male frontal nudity could possibly be construed as being of interest to a female veiwer.. that was most definatly way off base.

and yes pillow book did suck beyond all possiblities of suckage.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    themack i think you should try to watch 'seconds', from 1966. probably the best movie i've seen in the "mindfuck" genre or whatever they call it. seriously one of the best movies i've ever had the pleasure to watch.

themack i think you should try to watch 'seconds', from 1966. probably the best movie i've seen in the "mindfuck" genre or whatever they call it. seriously one of the best movies i've ever had the pleasure to watch.

cosign. great movie. but not along the same lines as what lynch is trying to do with flipping narrative structure on its ear.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Oh hell yes...Naomi Watts 'n' the other lady were damn foxxy in that film. More JpegRAER plaese.

SG

cosign. great movie.

oh shit i missed this. hell yeah on seconds. what a strange movie, especially when it gets to that scene where all those nutty nudists are stomping on grapes. the camerawork is all disorienting and shit, but in a real proper way. i also like that this movie seems kinda real in regards to the real secrets rock hudson had with his identity. frankenheimer's style is dope and so hypnotic. eff a new version of manchurian candidate!!

the mack you really reall need to peep INGMAR BERGMAN, the holy dude of mindfuckery on celluloid.

start with this:

Title: Hour of the Wolf
    Foreign Title: Vargtimmen
    Director: Ingmar Bergman
    Year: 1968
    Runtime: 88 min
    Cast: Liv Ullmann, Max von Sydow

Screening times and locations:
    Friday, June 17, 2005 8:30 PM
    All films are screened at Jackman Hall

Film Description:
    In a foreword to the manuscript of this masterpiece of psychological horror, Bergman wrote: "The hour of the wolf is the time between night and dawn. It is the hour when most people die, when sleep is deepest, when nightmares are most palpable. It is the hour when the sleepless are pursued by their sharpest anxieties, when ghosts and demons hold sway. It is also the hour when most children are born." Max von Sydow plays a painter obsessed with the memory of a young woman (Ingrid Thulin), who was his lover until he was placed in a mental institution. The painter???s pregnant wife (Liv Ullmann) ??? "quite simply, the most beautiful character in Bergman???s whole work" (Robin Wood) ??? is unable to stop his descent into madness, and in the harrowing second half of the film, he does battle with demonic visions of sexual humiliation and ritual murder. "Brilliant . . . handled with typical virtuosity with a dazzling flow of surrealism, expressionism and full-blooded Gothic horror" (Tom Milne, Time Out Film Guide).

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Film Description:
    In a foreword to the manuscript of this masterpiece of psychological horror, Bergman wrote: "The hour of the wolf is the time between night and dawn. It is the hour when most people die, when sleep is deepest, when nightmares are most palpable. It is the hour when the sleepless are pursued by their sharpest anxieties, when ghosts and demons hold sway. It is also the hour when most children are born." Max von Sydow plays a painter obsessed with the memory of a young woman (Ingrid Thulin), who was his lover until he was placed in a mental institution. The painter???s pregnant wife (Liv Ullmann) ??? "quite simply, the most beautiful character in Bergman???s whole work" (Robin Wood) ??? is unable to stop his descent into madness, and in the harrowing second half of the film, he does battle with demonic visions of sexual humiliation and ritual murder. "Brilliant . . . handled with typical virtuosity with a dazzling flow of surrealism, expressionism and full-blooded Gothic horror" (Tom Milne, Time Out Film Guide).
    wow that sounds rad!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

ha ha! true, but for good reason. lynch's films are watered down versions of what resnais/robbe-grillet laid down. alls im saying is lynch films aspire to be marienbad, in a certain sense, and allow a bunch of corndogs to chill at starbucks and "discuss".

well at least lynch has the good sense to throw in some titties

ps
    what is sctv?

JOHN FUCKIN CANDY
    EUGENE FUCKIN LEVY
    ANDREA FUCKIN MARTIN
    DAVE FUCKIN THOMAS
    MARTIN FUCKIN SHORT
    RICK FUCKIN MORANIS
    HAROLD FUCKIN RAMIS

THE GREAT WHITE NORTH MOTHER FUCKER

funkin americans.. you're entire comedy industry is ruled by canadians and you can never give us the props!!!!!

DAvid Lynch is ehhhhh... SCTV is the shit though... Probably about the funniest TV show on tv ever... I used to watch the reruns on comedy Central when the channel first aired.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Fucking co-sign!

This film was so far ahead of it's time it's still in the future as far as I'm concerned.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

start with this:

I just threw that one up as #1 on my Netflix queue.

Film Description:

wow that sounds rad!

as juicy as that description sounds, it's not THAT heavy handed or gratuitous. it teeters on it, but it stays cerebrally creepy. also the_mack, i don't know if you have the patience for b&w especially since the stuff you seen of lynch is all about saturated and vibrant colors, but trust me the b&w cinematography is really beautiful, majestic & dreamy looking. plus, it's got max von sydow starring in it who you may know better as ming the merciless in the flash gordon movie.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Someone called Lynch an intellectual...actually he's the total opposite, he relies on pure muse-driven creative impulses with little thought to how the ego/awake mind/conscious will deal with it. He kinda comes out of the surrealist school that way, where they consider the dream-driven ideas from the well of the unconcious to be pure creativity, and they strive for that. The key to enjoying Lynch is to turn off your analytic mind and "feel" each scene, he's all about the emotional response, the moods that you can't put into words.

MULHOLLAND DRIVE started as an ABC pilot (produced by Ron Howard!) that was rejected. The original pilot is worth seeing, it has some scenes changed or missing from the movie, and lacks the metaphysical elements, playing like a nice, moody mystery instead.