• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    and R&B

AND SOUL STRUT

hi

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    and country

tripping. this is the golden age of country.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

"I dig Medeski Martin and wood." [/b]

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    CAN SOMEONE PUT ME ON TO THE REAL DEAL JAZZ CLUB IN LA.. ........

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    what about the one in collaterral

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    and R&B singing

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just got this album and it's cookin. That's all.
    Bought this 18 months ago & still haven't listened. I heard the mix isn't great though from a guy I work with.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    and country

I hope you're joking.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    and country

I hope you're joking.

serious! I was thinking if anything it's fools gold.

Soft Rock with White Trash Moves.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    Norah Jones

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    I can't beleive you dudes ride for this thread worn windswept genre in its exausted contrmporary state. You guys like to watch Ken Burns and listen to Kind Of Blue when you are browsing 2007 downbeat at Barnes and Noble. Sip that Latte and listen to some Nora Jones assburn easy listening. Smells funny is right. It's not my fault your hydrocolonic machine broke open when you were using it and sprayed dog doo all over your buttcrack. Just deal is right.

Seriously, I think 80% of message board dudes will listen to ANYTHING.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Bennie Maupin Ensemble "Penumbra" that came out last yeah was a really nice album I thought, anyone else here this not as 'free' as "The Jewel In The Lotus" but a really good LP, highly recommended.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I can't beleive you dudes ride for this thread worn windswept genre in its exausted contrmporary state. You guys like to watch Ken Burns and listen to Kind Of Blue when you are browsing 2007 downbeat at Barnes and Noble. Sip that Latte and listen to some Nora Jones assburn easy listening. Smells funny is right. It's not my fault your hydrocolonic machine broke open when you were using it and sprayed dog doo all over your buttcrack. Just deal is right.

I can't deal with modern jazz. Too polished, too safe. I have had conversations with modern jazz musicians and fans that do not go well. Stylistically there's no exploration. It's like chemistry. "We're going to do a mingus chord change, then get a little WILD with a sax solo for 16 bars, maybe put some synthesizer washes in post..."

This is why I collect older jazz. It's not like a desire to accumulate records as much as records are more interesting. I would rather listen to an unpolished, raw, album that is at minimum effort-ful.

That all said, there probably is amazing jazz music being made, we all just don't follow it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I can't deal with modern jazz. Too polished, too safe. I have had conversations with modern jazz musicians and fans that do not go well. Stylistically there's no exploration. It's like chemistry. "We're going to do a mingus chord change, then get a little WILD with a sax solo for 16 bars, maybe put some synthesizer washes in post..."

This is why I collect older jazz. It's not like a desire to accumulate records as much as records are more interesting. I would rather listen to an unpolished, raw, album that is at minimum effort-ful.

That all said, there probably is amazing jazz music being made, we all just don't follow it.

I agree with this post 1000%. Thank you.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nothing.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There's still a lot of good jazz being made, but as one magazine put it, there's also a lot of "dentist's wives" out there trying to show how much they gleam and sing.

Lately, I've been listening to:
    The Pamela Hines Trio
    Lafayette Gilchrist
    James Blood Ulmer
    Enrico Pieranunzi/Marc Johnson/Joey Baron
    Hal Tsuchida Trio
    Mitch Marcus Quintet
    Robert Glasper
    The Hi-Fly Orchestra
    Maggy Scott

The album by trombonist Lamar Harris is really good too. I thought Wynton Marsalis' album was really good too. Someone mentioned Brian Blade, what has he been up to as of late?

Also, when does John Zorn remain quiet for any given length of time?
    http://www.tzadik.com

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

I still maintain a weekly Jazz night/happy hour dj gig at a local DC club, and it never really gets old for me because it encompasses so much vital music and endless styles and trends over the years. And I love it because to me Jazz is music that is equal parts familiar and challenging.

dope. I believe that every dj should at least have a night like that in their musical career. But, i know, to each their own.

Ive always enjoyed my gigs like that. More appreciation, and trying different concepts.

• Norah Jones is jazz? wtf? I stick to old stuff.
    If you know what youre lookin for, satisfaction is almost guaranteed.

BTW. When it comes to Nu artists.. Do you know that song
    "Madeleine Peyroux - Don't Wait Too Long"? That kinda sounds nice to me.
    What jazz style is she playing? Eastcoast jazz? Teatime jazz?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Norah Jones is jazz? wtf? I stick to old stuff.
    If you know what youre lookin for, satisfaction is almost guaranteed.

BTW. When it comes to Nu artists.. Do you know that song
    "Madeleine Peyroux - Don't Wait Too Long"? That kinda sounds nice to me.
    What jazz style is she playing? Eastcoast jazz? Teatime jazz?

The buzz for her recent album was large (read "large"), I bought it and didn't like it too much. Not sure what others are hearing, it's pleasant but not what I'd want to hear.

As for Norah Jones, she had been promoted so much as "jazz" that people tend to believe it. But she called Willie Nelson "my homeboy", and I don't think Blue Note wants to mess up a good thing while they have it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dee Dee Bridgewater

• norah sounds more "country pop" to me..

btw. I only liked that 1 song by madeleine peyroux,
    the rest of that album I downloaded err... 'listened to' was crap..