What Happened to jazz?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Seriously. With the exception of a couple new bands (big bang Im pointing at you). I really don't like any new jazz. Seriously, what happened to jazz?

Comments

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    uh, it died in about 1970. oh, it's not dead, it just smells funny.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ask this dude.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Seriously. With the exception of a couple new bands (big bang Im pointing at you). I really don't like any new jazz. Seriously, what happened to jazz?

Perhaps you are , really though there is a lot of good new jazz out there. Peter Soloman does a NPR jazz program that airs in Richmond VA from 7-10 every weeknight. He plays a lot of new stuff and older stuff and until he says when it was recorded half the time I can't tell the difference. Plus there are some old timers who are still putting out great music. I did a post about a new Randy Weston album about a year ago and got , but the songs i heard from that album were really good. While I don't know much about newer jazz, it seems like all of the good stuff comes out on small indy lables. Its the kind of stuff our kids will be buying on Ebay when we are wearing depends.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    maybe I am, im not sure. From what Ive heard. Which has been a lot, Ive just wanted to like it. Im sure there are good artists out there, just from the vast quantities of shit that I have heard I never felt most any of it. Maybe Im just listenin in all the wrong places.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

All depends on who you talk to, what critics/artists/historians you put your faith in.

There are new guys who can still bring talent and something to say to the music, and there are still some giants who still deliver quality recordings and live performance (Randy Weston, Andrew Hill until recently, RIP, to name just a couple).Lots of factors have contributed to the marginalizing of Jazz in the marketplace, as well as it's relevance(or current lack thereof) in the broader American cultural landscape.

I still maintain a weekly Jazz night/happy hour dj gig at a local DC club, and it never really gets old for me because it encompasses so much vital music and endless styles and trends over the years. And I love it because to me Jazz is music that is equal parts familiar and challenging.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    there is a lot of good new jazz out there.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    [quote
    I still maintain a weekly Jazz night/happy hour dj gig
    I wanna find a place to do this so badly...I'd try to throw some in at our weekly, but it doesnt seem to fit in with mashed potato monkey boogaloo part 2 or fuzz guitars and Polish go go girl type stuff. It needs its own few hours.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    there is a lot of good new jazz out there.

Yup. Branford Marsalis, Joshua Redman, Brian Blade, Roy Hargrove & the RH Factor, etc. plus TONS of small talent that plays live and few people have ever heard of. Plus the legends like McCoy Tyner are still out there playing.

What is true is that there aren't as many phenomenal jazz LPs out there anymore, and there are fewer artists pushing boundries and experimenting with new sounds. Too many jazz theory cats out there buggin out on tonal progressions & not enough people out there just playing it by ear.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What's "juzz"?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Brian Blade

[quote
    I still maintain a weekly Jazz night/happy hour dj gig

I wanna find a place to do this so badly...I'd try to throw some in at our weekly, but it doesnt seem to fit in with mashed potato monkey boogaloo part 2 or fuzz guitars and Polish go go girl type stuff. It needs its own few hours.
    the solution I proposed that worked was a Wednesday night from 7-10pm. Some nights start at 6pm if they have an event starting at 9pm. This way you can get the straight-from-work-crowd, and the early evening crowd is WAY more open to music that they can vibe to and enjoy without dancing, while dining or socializing. Plus my friends with jobs/families are more likely to attend occasionally as it doesn't START at 10pm. You 35+ dudes and gals know what I mean.

I hardly ever have to deal with any crowd BS, as people are dispatched from the get-go that we do JAZZ tonight, period. And I am always pleased when people tell you how much they love what you are playing or how much they love Herbie Hancock, or Miles, or whatever you are playing, or even when they make requests. Where else can you actually satisfy a request for 'On Green Dolphin Street' or Nat Adderley's 'Work Song'?If you are in the DC area on a Wed nite, stop on in, either me or my partner will be there making the club safe for Jazz at Cafe Saint-Ex, 14th and T NW DC!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You guys are sleeping on PHAT DAVE KOZ LOOPZ, yo!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I like this new Kurt Elling track:

well Ive come to a conclusion. Jazzz just doesent sound the same as it did before. Maybe Im just afraid of change.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Are you familiar with the mighty prolific and curious outfit from Italy, Zu?

"Tom Araya is Our Elvis" is a favorite as well as the How To Raise An Ox stuff. Brutal at times. Mostly unpredictable, and without a care of "who" is listening. Here's their accompaniment with Spaceways, Inc., doing "Theme De Yoyo".

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i m missing the "dirt" in new jazz a little.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    well Ive come to a conclusion. Jazzz just doesent sound the same as it did before. Maybe Im just afraid of change.

Dude, come on. What music stays the same?

Dude, come on. What music stays the same?

And please clarify, "before" what? "Before" meaning jazz you first got turned onto 3-5-10 years ago? Everyone's frame of reference is unique, so for purpose of discussion, I try to limit it to a reasonably accepted historical context. If you are saying that Jazz in the 60s (which I am assuming you did not hear first hand, few around here did) was different than what grew out of that 60s style and sound into the 70s, I think that kind of goes without saying. However, if you think that it was inherently 'better', well that sparks all kinds of discussion and is certainly of some interest.

A cover of Funkadelic's "Trash A-Go-Go".

"Tom Araya is Our Elvis"

this title alone makes it seem essential, and I havent even heard it

"Tom Araya Is Our Elvis"

Their voyages into the Sun Ra catalog shouldn't be taken lightly either.

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    Robert Glasper

"Tom Araya Is Our Elvis"

Their voyages into the Sun Ra catalog shouldn't be taken lightly either.

finding our forced exposure wholesale customer number and making an order

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Soil & "Pimp" Sessions
    Indigo Jam Unit
    Steve Coleman (still)
    Andy Milne
    Bob Glasper
    Hajime Yoshizawa
    Jazztronik...

The talent is out there, but the music in general has been marginalised because it's hard to market to kids. It's seen as old-man music amongst the kids, no? There is not big 50-cent-style money in it, so why should the biggies market it at all? There are no video-friendly images, no lyrics, and so much else that needs to be instantly understandable to get the attention of those with the disposable income.

I think it also has to be seen live to be appreciated properly - this was the case for me and got me playing bass 20 years ago. Fortunately it seems the artists can get by without the endorsement of the biggies now. Props to Gilles Peterson and any Strut DJs spinning Jazz.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Robert Glasper

True. Heard his Dilla tribute stuff? Killa - and totally in the tradition of the idiom... taking music of the day and dropping it in a jazz stylee

Robert Glasper
    He puts out fantastic shiit. Also, waht is all your point of view on medeski martin and wood?

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I dig Medeski Martin and wood. also don't mind seeing dave holland, though not up on his newest releases.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    what happened to jazz?

the same thing that happened to hip hop

and rock

and country