Seu Jorge

2»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

awesome! thank you.

which reminds me...

courtesy of johnbolaya

• and neta, really? i mean, i dont know the history too well, but i really cant imagine a european country in that time being as benign as to just labor and canoodle. i mean, of course the real culprits are the americans and the brits. its their MO. plaese to educate me.

ps
    is there a portugese population in manteca? that's close to home.

oh, no. portugal was not benign. they originated that colonizing shite. brazil, mozambique, mac??o, angola. they weren't shy.

here's the thing...unlike the british, but a lot like the spanish, portuguese colonizers saw nothing wrong with integrating and intermarrying with native populations. easier to convert to Catholicism, right? (unlike the Brits, Iberian colonizers wanted their slaves to have religion.) historians tend to view Portuguese colonizers as less "brutal" for these reasons. plus Portugal had been colonized by the Moors (more canoodling) and have long been in the shadow of its much larger Latin neighbor... and are generally some of the darkest complected of the European peoples... so more reasons to misconstrue Portugal as the sweet sad little underdog.

don't get it twisted. we conquered and plundered just like the rest of em.

Hawaii is another story tho. And so is Azorean immigration.

Aren't all of those "Guinea" countries around the world (New Guinea, Equitorial Guinea, Guinea Bissau) former Portuguese colonies??

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts

and neta, really? i mean, i dont know the history too well, but i really cant imagine a european country in that time being as benign as to just labor and canoodle. i mean, of course the real culprits are the americans and the brits. its their MO. plaese to educate me.

ps
    is there a portugese population in manteca? that's close to home.

oh, no. portugal was not benign. they originated that colonizing shite. brazil, mozambique, mac??o, angola. they weren't shy.

here's the thing...unlike the british, but a lot like the spanish, portuguese colonizers saw nothing wrong with integrating and intermarrying with native populations. easier to convert to Catholicism, right? (unlike the Brits, Iberian colonizers wanted their slaves to have religion.) historians tend to view Portuguese colonizers as less "brutal" for these reasons. plus Portugal had been colonized by the Moors (more canoodling) and have long been in the shadow of its much larger Latin neighbor... and are generally some of the darkest complected of the European peoples... so more reasons to misconstrue Portugal as the sweet sad little underdog.

don't get it twisted. we conquered and plundered just like the rest of em.

Hawaii is another story tho. And so is Azorean immigration.

Aren't all of those "Guinea" countries around the world (New Guinea, Equitorial Guinea, Guinea Bissau) former Portuguese colonies??

mm-hm. and Cape Verde, too. much of the coastal region of western Africa in fact.... although Madeira and the 9 Azores islands were uninhabited (except for the A??or -- a type of bird) when Portugal discovered them.

dag. Portugal is getting called out!

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Cosine! His "CRU" album has some moments as well