MARCUS BELGRAVE on Tribe

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Apparently this record with a track called 'glue fingers' is pretty good. I been offered a Canadian pressing of this in a trade. I hardly know anything about this Tribe label, except that it seems people dig it. I wish to also dig it.Can I get a

Comments

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    $200 o.g. tribe
    $75 gem eye 2nd issue

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Apparently this record with a track called 'glue fingers' is pretty good. I been offered a Canadian pressing of this in a trade. I hardly know anything about this Tribe label, except that it seems people dig it. I wish to also dig it.

Can I get a

youll definately dig it, space odyssey and glue fingers pt2 both are killer jazzfunk tracks... glue fingers more down to earth while space odyssey is more spacey hence the title..
    side 2 is a bit on the jazzy bop side but gemini II shifts between a funk and a spiritual bop mode.
    good luck, its a dopeass record, not sure bout its going price at the moment, my quess would be not much over a 100 for the second pressing and maybe between 150- 200 for the tribe depending on condition.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I would hold out for a better record in trade unless you're getting a real steal. You deserve better. Don't let sweet, silver-tongued promises of "funk ecstasy" fool you.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Haha.

My sarcasm metre just broke while examining that post Rey!

or were you being serious?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Dude this is a really solid album.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

or were you being serious?

You tell me.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    It is a cool album.

But I don't think there is such a thing as a canadian pressing.

Damn. Dude was pretty sp[ecific about it being a Canadian pressing. Can anyone shed any light on that?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Damn. Dude was pretty sp[ecific about it being a Canadian pressing. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Never heard of a Canadian pressing either. The Tribe label version was defintely pressed in Michigan.

Being dissatisfied with the marketing and promotion of the Tribe release, Marcus oversaw the Gem-Eye pressing himself. Though I don't have the Gem-Eye pressing in front of me, I have a hard time believing Marcus would have bothered getting it pressed in Canada given the availablity of pressing plants in Michigan.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I have a copy on Tribe for trade. It's not the cleanest copy, but it plays nicely. Anyone interested can holler on the pm.

Never heard of a Canadian pressing either. The Tribe label version was defintely pressed in Michigan.

Being dissatisfied with the marketing and promotion of the Tribe release, Marcus oversaw the Gem-Eye pressing himself. Though I don't have the Gem-Eye pressing in front of me, I have a hard time believing Marcus would have bothered getting it pressed in Canada given the availablity of pressing plants in Michigan.

Weird. The said it was aCanadian issue from 1974 on Tribe. What year did the Gem-Eye issue come out?

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Kinetic,

I sent you the link for the album...here it is for all other that want to peep..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ce9sjl

Weird. The said it was aCanadian issue from 1974 on Tribe. What year did the Gem-Eye issue come out?

Hmmm, not sure what to make of that. Gem-Eye was like 2 years after the Tribe joint I think.

Actually, now that I'm looking at it, I can tell you that the Gem-Eye pressing was definitely done in Detroit.

The track titles done in caps with the prod/writing credits underneath in italicized font is unique to Michigan.

I suppose it's not impossible that a Tribe label Canadian pressing exists, but it seems unlikely.

Maybe this is what the guy has

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    this album makes me mad....I was outbid not once, but twice on this by the same japanese bidder. First time for 455.00 and the second for 355.00. I haven't tried buying it since.

Sorry for your loss!

Thanks for the sympathy! I'm sure I'll try again sometime. I love that album.

I probably fucked it up for the highest popsike pricing dudes out there....sorry guys.

Maybe this is what the guy has

Perhaps, except that the release number of the album on GEMM is TRCD4004 which corresponds to the Gem-Eye pressing. The serial number for the Tribe issue is PRSD 2228.

Perhaps your dude is inferring from the "TRCD" in TRCD4004 that it's TR[/b]ibe/C[/b]anaD[/b]a? Seems like a bit of a stretch though.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    The Gem-Eye pressing could well have been made in Canada. All the copies I've seen have recycled covers: if you look inside the sleeve you'll notice this. One copy I had had been done from a Jimmy Castor cover.

I've seen recycled covers on Canadian reggae LP's but never on US presses. It's also possible that Belgrave pressed the vinyl in Detroit but had the covers made in Canada.

Another mystery solved by the Soul Strut Vinyl Detectives.

Thanks guys!

Oh and BTW i am just listening to this and its pretty damn nice.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    all the stuff on tribe is really good, unfortunately also very $$$.

It's also possible that Belgrave pressed the vinyl in Detroit but had the covers made in Canada.

AHA!

So gem eye pressing is probably what you're looking at.

I can't believe I spent so much time reading this thread, but I do own both pressings for no reason... so glad it could help someone out... haha

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It's also possible that Belgrave pressed the vinyl in Detroit but had the covers made in Canada.
    People who list records as Canadian press because it says Printed In Canada need to step up their game.

Been years since I've had this but I am thinking there are 2 distinct covers. The first one is I Forget, and the second is a mask. Stir my memorie please.

People who list records as Canadian press because it says Printed In Canada need to step up their game.

LOL, no kidding!

And, yes, the Tribe an Gem-Eye covers are unmistakably different.

OG Tribe label cover:

Nice sleuthing, A*drew.

Now I just need to get that time machine....

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I have an irrelevant question, for which there can perhaps be no real answer: Is it really "Gem Eye"? I always thought that was a stylized "N" nestling in the hollow of the "Y," making it "Gem N Eye."

I think I used "Marcus Belgrave" as a fake name for restaurant reservations one time. It just sounds fly.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

LOL, no kidding!

And, yes, the Tribe an Gem-Eye covers are unmistakably different.

OG Tribe label cover:

Nice sleuthing, A*drew.
    I've had both, years ago before all these internets and had a hard time deciphering originals and values.

The second cover is black with an elongated African mask.