Strutters' Speaking Voices

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Having met/known many of you in The Real World, I've noticed that actual voices don't always match up with the voices we attach to one's online persona. A few cases in point:Sween[/b]: I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he did not have the stereotypical Long Guyland brogue. He sounds like a regular New York dude, even though he's an extraordinary New York dude.Terry_Clubbup:[/b] This dude. Wow. He speaks softly, but give him a mic and you better also give him 50 feet. Pipes. The man is Middle-American Idol material.Asprin:[/b] His motherland upbringing is countered by years spent in the South; there is a slight twang to his speech that might lead one to believe that he is from Amharkansas. It is truly endearing.Grandpa_Shig:[/b] Surprisingly enough, he doesn't sound the least bit Chinese.Harvey_Archaic[/b]: Think again, carpetbaggeurs. Let it be knowed that his voice has a surprisingly soothing quality.Faux_Rillz:[/b] You little dudes are ill-prepared for the way he speaks. His slow flow is remarkabo. The James Earl Jones of Soulstrut, although he once described his voice to me as "sort of like Ma$e."SoulMarcosa[/b]: Having been fortunate enough to receive many a late-night drunken voicemail from the man, I can tell you that his speaking voice is highly reminiscent of Wooderson in Dazed and Confused. And yes, Mark: these girls stay the same age.Cosmo Baker:[/b] Says "wutter" as expected; does not disappoint.THE UNKNOWNS:[/b]Danno_3000:[/b] It occurred to me recently that he might have one of those Frenchy Canadian accents, which doesn't at all mesh with the guy doing his voiceovers in my head. Come clean, Danno. America needs to know.JLR[/b]: I usually read his posts with the voice of a Malague??o in my head. Sorry, but I rarely hear acentos argentinos.Feel free to add on.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Danno is an Ontarian, not a Queeb.

He sounds similar to what Stephen Hawking would sound like if he could talk.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not sure if you've ever heard me speak coon ass.

Hogg: some might say that this walking encyclopedia over-annunciate words a lil bit...but I ain't comlplainin'. Voice-wise, think Deep Purple rather than Black Sabbath.

• R*ss, Danno's voice can be easily heard on his "Waxing Deep" show (http://www.waxingdeep.org/)...you must not want it that bad

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Terry_Clubbup:[/b] This dude. Wow. He speaks softly, but give him a mic and you better also give him 50 feet. Pipes. The man is Middle-American Idol material.

A dangerously deceptive package.

But you know the boy is from the South, right?

• Hogg: some might say that this walking encyclopedia over-annunciate words a lil bit...but I ain't comlplainin'. Voice-wise, think Deep Purple rather than Black Sabbath.

Are you calling me British?!

PS Good to know about Danno. But I still wanna hear HAZ say "Hyphy."

Oh, and PeacefulRotation sounds likes that one cool uncle you had growing up. You know, the dude who'd probably let you sneak a beer. He's laid back like that. "Hey, have you heard this?"

• A dangerously deceptive package.

But you know the boy is from the South, right?

It ain't where ya from, it's where ya at.

B/W

Watch his feet.

Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us as to the vocal timbre of another Southern-bred Chicago Strutter.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    SoulMarcosa[/b]: Having been fortunate enough to receive many a late-night drunken voicemail from the man, I can tell you that his speaking voice is highly reminiscent of Wooderson in Dazed and Confused. And yes, Mark: these girls stay the same age.

I thought you were giving examples of voices that don't match his or her online persona

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Fatback sounds just like Strom Thurmond.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    hcrink sounds like Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    DUDE

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    DEAL WITHERS

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    hcrink sounds like Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I always pictured him sounding like this guy:

• hahaha!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    My additions:

Crinky sounds like the singer from the West Coast Pop Art Experimental band. Really, it's uncanny.

JLR sounds like this: http://www.waxingdeep.org/sillystrut/jlr.mp3 [From the super secret waxing deep 5 year anniversary mix which I really need to press up again and distribute because it's got silly funny drops from raj, tom noble, mylatency, and many more including soufriere from the days when he was down with the strut]

Don't listen to the hatters, my voice is nothing but sexy smooth. Well ok, at least there's no false rasta.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Asprin:[/b] His motherland upbringing is countered by years spent in the South; there is a slight twang to his speech that might lead one to believe that he is from Amharkansas. It is truly endearing.

Faux_Rillz:[/b] You little dudes are ill-prepared for the way he speaks. His slow flow is remarkabo. The James Earl Jones of Soulstrut, although he once described his voice to me as "sort of like Ma$e."

Double true.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Terry_Clubbup:[/b] This dude. Wow. He speaks softly, but give him a mic and you better also give him 50 feet. Pipes. The man is Middle-American Idol material.

Clubbup's crooning induces a schlieric effect.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    can't say anyone's voice really surprised me, though i am partial to Bam's quiet interjections that end up being the best / funniest story you ever heard.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    can't say anyone's voice really surprised me, though i am partial to Bam's quiet interjections that end up being the best / funniest story you ever heard.

I was gonna say he sounds a little bit like the guy who narrated the Wonder Years, but slightly more rural. Basically the complete to opposite to Garcia Vega after a few beers.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I was gonna say he sounds a little bit like the guy who narrated the Wonder Years/quote]

I haven't been able to get that voice out of my head since I was twelve.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    hcrink sounds like he's REALLY stoned.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I say, I say watch yourself, boy!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

With a touch of Alec Baldwin

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Having met/known many of you in The Real World, I've noticed that actual voices don't always match up with the voices we attach to one's online persona. A few cases in point:

Sween[/b]: I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he did not have the stereotypical Long Guyland brogue. He sounds like a regular New York dude, even though he's an extraordinary New York dude.

Asprin:[/b] His motherland upbringing is countered by years spent in the South; there is a slight twang to his speech that might lead one to believe that he is from Amharkansas. It is truly endearing.

Grandpa_Shig:[/b] Surprisingly enough, he doesn't sound the least bit Chinese.

Harvey_Archaic[/b]: Think again, carpetbaggeurs. Let it be knowed that his voice has a surprisingly soothing quality.

Faux_Rillz:[/b] You little dudes are ill-prepared for the way he speaks. His slow flow is remarkabo. The James Earl Jones of Soulstrut, although he once described his voice to me as "sort of like Ma$e."

SoulMarcosa[/b]: Having been fortunate enough to receive many a late-night drunken voicemail from the man, I can tell you that his speaking voice is highly reminiscent of Wooderson in Dazed and Confused. And yes, Mark: these girls stay the same age.

Cosmo Baker:[/b] Says "wutter" as expected; does not disappoint.

THE UNKNOWNS:[/b]

Danno_3000:[/b] It occurred to me recently that he might have one of those Frenchy Canadian accents, which doesn't at all mesh with the guy doing his voiceovers in my head. Come clean, Danno. America needs to know.

JLR[/b]: I usually read his posts with the voice of a Malague??o in my head. Sorry, but I rarely hear acentos argentinos.

Feel free to add on.

well you know who i sound like

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Having met/known many of you in The Real World, I've noticed that actual voices don't always match up with the voices we attach to one's online persona. A few cases in point:

Sween[/b]: I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he did not have the stereotypical Long Guyland brogue. He sounds like a regular New York dude, even though he's an extraordinary New York dude.

Grandpa_Shig:[/b] Surprisingly enough, he doesn't sound the least bit Chinese.

Harvey_Archaic[/b]: Think again, carpetbaggeurs. Let it be knowed that his voice has a surprisingly soothing quality.

Cosmo Baker:[/b] Says "wutter" as expected; does not disappoint.

THE UNKNOWNS:[/b]

Danno_3000:[/b] It occurred to me recently that he might have one of those Frenchy Canadian accents, which doesn't at all mesh with the guy doing his voiceovers in my head. Come clean, Danno. America needs to know.

JLR[/b]: I usually read his posts with the voice of a Malague??o in my head. Sorry, but I rarely hear acentos argentinos.

Feel free to add on.

well you know who i sound like

No picture there, but I'll say Vincent Price. Although I don't really hear it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

With a touch of Alec Baldwin

I better see that on a mix tape, son. Don't make me drive up there.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    SoulMarcosa[/b]: Having been fortunate enough to receive many a late-night drunken voicemail from the man

Homie, I've never heard your voice but Marco has shoved his phone in my face a few times when leaving you those extended late night reports... !

• SoulMarcosa[/b]: Having been fortunate enough to receive many a late-night drunken voicemail from the man

Homie, I've never heard your voice but Marco has shoved his phone in my face a few times when leaving you those extended late night reports... !

And I could hear the Bojangles on your breath!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    SoulMarcosa[/b]: Having been fortunate enough to receive many a late-night drunken voicemail from the man

And I could hear the Bojangles on your breath!

Ladies, ladies!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Guilty as charged...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    R*ss, Danno's voice can be easily heard on his "Waxing Deep" show (http://www.waxingdeep.org/)...you must not want it that bad

On the subject of correlating physical attributes, I used to think he was a crusty 50+ record guy because of his avatar. Then I started listening to his show and I thought "That voice doesn't quite fit with the guy in the picture, but hey whaddaya know". Then he posted that clip from a Canadian TV station, the one where he's showing his records and his moose head collection or whatever it was, and suddenly everything fell into place.

BTW, I really like listening to WD, Danno. Forgot to cosign in the appreciation thread.