Fuck a raer

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Man, I just listened to this entire thing for the first time in years. In headphones no less.The skin of my face has just melted. Fuck all that dumb shit yall talmbout. This must be like what you see after you eat the poisonous sequoia bark lichens and go tripping off in the woods somewhere. Fuck it, bro.

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    bar kay drum plaese.

• The title sums it up well:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hellllllllll yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    On the not raer tip, I listened to Willie Bobo "Feelin so good" for the first time in a while. Perfect for those bright sunny days.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Wouldn't you prefer a badly recorded private press version of walk on by at about half the lngth played by some school children on triangles?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    fuk a raer indeed.

I listented to Carole King "Tapestry" today.

Shit is fire.

Been listening to that shit since the womb.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I do feel you on the fuck a raer tip but I did cop these today.

And The Futures - Past, Present, and The Futures on Philadelphia International

And some tea, a spliff, and the headphones are hittin quite nice right about now.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Man, I just listened to this entire thing for the first time in years. In headphones no less.

The skin of my face has just melted. Fuck all that dumb shit yall talmbout. This must be like what you see after you eat the poisonous sequoia bark lichens and go tripping off in the woods somewhere. Fuck it, bro.

i listen to Hot Buttered Soul at least twice a week. i never tire of this, my favorite album.

Saw mr Hayes in Amsterdam a few years back and he played the album from front to back.

There is no excuse not to own this masterpiece.

hell, buy one for your moms.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    fuk a raer

yes and

yes.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Man, I just listened to this entire thing for the first time in years. In headphones no less.

The skin of my face has just melted. Fuck all that dumb shit yall talmbout. This must be like what you see after you eat the poisonous sequoia bark lichens and go tripping off in the woods somewhere. Fuck it, bro.

This and "To Be Continued" - in fact, especially "To Be Continued" - are two of my favourite records of all time. It's difficult to imagine what they must have sounded like at the time of release. Long, dark, introspective, paranoid, tripped-out, prog-soul excursions on MOR pop standards - how do you sit down, like Ike must have done, and figure out that, yeah, this is what the game's been missing? Even Norman Whitfield and Barry White didn't really catch on, or catch up, until a couple of years later. Something that comes up on here from time to time is how people sometimes obsess over uber-raer regional funk obscurities of the kind endorsed by Shadow or Keb Darge, yet are barely familiar with records like these.

I remember having a moment one time, when I listened to "HBS" end-to-end for the first time in a while and heard that "at the end of ev-ery da-ay.." in the bridge of "One Woman" with fresh ears. Group Home's "Supa Star" had been around for about a year, and it was bugging the shit out of me where Premier had caught that intro loop from. Such innocent days.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I am pro-raer, but I agree that this album is a monster. I got my copy from my mom so it has a special place in my stacks.

• When I first got into collecting soul, my dad gave me the tape of this he made from his record. He handed it to me and said, (in his thick bronx-jew accent) "Steven, this is 'make-out' music."

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Listening to Cowboy Movie as I write. Not a wrong note on the entire album. Yes, masterpiece.

• This thread rules. The record that got me into records.

• Recently recommended to me, two people I know called it a "masterpiece", picked one up, the jury's still out.

SONIC

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Recently recommended to me, two people I know called it a "masterpiece", picked one up, the jury's still out.

SONIC

There are only a handful of records that I would call masterpieces but, for me at least, this is one. Always feels kind of like a winter/autumn record you listen to when the rain is streaming down the window but all I can add is that it's a grower.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

After who knows how many listens, I still get heart palpitations from this record. Masterpiece, monster, no excuse not to own it, buy it for your mama - yes yes yes yes - all of the above.

I listented to Carole King "Tapestry" today.

Shit is fire.

Not that I ever doubt it, but this is the kind of thing that re-affirms why SoulOnIce rules.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    i listen to Hot Buttered Soul at least twice a week. i never tire of this, my favorite album.

Saw mr Hayes in Amsterdam a few years back and he played the album from front to back.

b/w

I once ate mmescaline and listened to this album on repeat for about 8 hours. On headphones it will melt your whole house.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

b/w

I once ate mmescaline and listened to this album on repeat for about 8 hours. On headphones it will melt your whole house.

Hahaha! My copy of the remastered Spoon SACD joint is an arm's length away from me as I type. I played it in the office yesterday to widesperead bewilderment, which was nothing compared to the response Tago Mago usually gets. "Can you please take this horrible drug music off, for God's sakes?"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    There is a story in, I think, Rob Bowman's Stax book about someone breaking into a Memphis record store shortly after HBS was released and stealing nothing but a copy of that album--they just had to hear it and couldn't wait for the store to open the next morning.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This deserves a Deluxe version. New linear notes/outtakes/photos/etc.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    fuk a raer indeed.

ALL

SORRY - THE OLDER I GET THE LESS I AM.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I play "Second Hand News" over and over and over...

Buckingham kills it

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I play "Second Hand News" over and over and over...

Buckingham kills it
    DONT FORGET ABOUT "TUSK"!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "To Be Continued" is one of my favorite albums of any genre. My mom used to play "Ike's Mood/You've Lost That Loving Feeling" at top volume every weekend when I was a youngin (back when the record first dropped), it was only as I got older that I put two and two together and remembered that this would have been right around the time she and my dad split up. Must have been theraputic for her.

I also have very strong memories of the 1972 Olympics, after the whole hostage thing when they killed the Israeli athletes they were doing a re-cap thing on TV and using some of "Ike's Mood" as the background music. I associated that song with this image for a long time:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

This and "To Be Continued" - in fact, especially "To Be Continued" - are two of my favourite records of all time. It's difficult to imagine what they must have sounded like at the time of release. Long, dark, introspective, paranoid, tripped-out, prog-soul excursions on MOR pop standards - how do you sit down, like Ike must have done, and figure out that, yeah, this is what the game's been missing?
    I was a young teen. I used to babysit at a house that had these records and Black Moses. I used to listen to them trying to understand them. They did not sound big Black bald headed chained out messiah music to me. I was totally baffled.

None of my friends had these. I bought them again in the early 80s and still didn't get it. Dude was way ahead of my time.