Boston heads, holleur at your boy!

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I feel like there was just a "Boston, What it do?" thread recently, so feel free to direct me to that, but i'm a be in Beantown the weekend of May 5th and 6th for my boy's wedding. Saturday is the nuptials, but Friday the 4th the wife and I are looking to make it happen. I managed to catch The Get Back when I was in Vegas, any chance I can happen upon one of y'alls nights out there? if not, we're down to check out any halfway decent hip-hop-related club nights, as Becky and stripey-shirt-free as possible.anyone with leads post up or PM me. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Friday night is my usual 'get drunk/eat a meal,' night, so I don't know of much. G_B_H is a bigger hiphophead than me at this point, so he may know what is doin' in that way on the fifth day.

have fun; feel free to post any ??s about food/transpo/parts of town, etc. there was a boston thread a while back, but much of it was about breakself gettin' dah-rinkin.

no need to apologize about the repost of a city. i feel like everyweek someone is posting, 'i'm gonna be in nyc! where are the records stores there???'

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I feel like there was just a "Boston, What it do?" thread recently, so feel free to direct me to that, but i'm a be in Beantown the weekend of May 5th and 6th for my boy's wedding. Saturday is the nuptials, but Friday the 4th the wife and I are looking to make it happen. I managed to catch The Get Back when I was in Vegas, any chance I can happen upon one of y'alls nights out there? if not, we're down to check out any halfway decent hip-hop-related club nights, as Becky and stripey-shirt-free as possible.

anyone with leads post up or PM me. thanks in advance.

dude ask homie aschrock. bean town knowledge for dayz...

• I have'nt been in the Boston scene since i lived there circa 97-99..But Wally's on mass ave & tremont was usually off the meatrack!

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I feel like there was just a "Boston, What it do?" thread recently, so feel free to direct me to that, but i'm a be in Beantown the weekend of May 5th and 6th for my boy's wedding. Saturday is the nuptials, but Friday the 4th the wife and I are looking to make it happen. I managed to catch The Get Back when I was in Vegas, any chance I can happen upon one of y'alls nights out there? if not, we're down to check out any halfway decent hip-hop-related club nights, as Becky and stripey-shirt-free as possible.

anyone with leads post up or PM me. thanks in advance.

fridays are tough, most places know they can make more money on the typical college crowd, so thats the route they take......I was doing a thing at Middlesex Lounge for a bit, but stopped it. I think my friend DJ Knife took it over. It will still have some becky/stripedshirt contingent, but not HUGE. Mostly hiphop, with some other stuff also.

I think Kon does a night someplace, but I think its pretty mainstream.....dunno how far he can branch out on fridays.

I usually tend to stick around Central Square (in between Harvard & MIT). There are 3 main places I frequent: Zuzu (next to the middleeast), The Enormous Room (567 Mass Ave), and Middlesex Lounge (further down Mass ave toward the river, not sure on the address). You can walk between all those places, so just hop a cab to "central square", and walk around from there.

If you get done with the wedding early on sat (yea right), check out our soul night at ZUZU. We've been doing it for about 4.5 years now. Its packed with people dancing every week now. Super fun. Its called "Soul-le-lu-jah". I forget who is there that weekend though (we have rotating djs). I believe my next gig there is the 19th of may?

-pj

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, Friday night is not the best night in Boston. College kids everywhere you look. The Milky Way in Jamaica Plain has a Friday hip hop night, but it's "underground hip hop," so be prepared for a heavy hipster contingent. Here's some info on that.

The Central Sq. area in Cambridge does have some good spots. I'm not a huge fan of the Middlesex, but that's mainly because I hate standing in line to get into a bar.

The Enormous Room has a more exclusive clientele, mainly because it's unmarked, but the demographic has shifted as more of the striped-shirt crowd has found out about it. PJ used to DJ there on the regular. I'll still go from time to time, but it has fallen off a bit.

Zu Zu has a nice vibe, but it's pretty damn small. If you get out early enough, though, it's cool. And Saturday night is Soullelujah at Zu Zu, which is great until the place gets too packed.

The Middle East is a good bar and venue, and their food is pretty good too. As you might imagine, it is Middle Eastern fare. Most of the good midlevel hip hop shows play the Middle East. If they're a big enough act, they'll play Avalon, if they're smaller, they'll play Great Scott.

Also, pretty decent record stores in the Central Sq. area. Check out Cheapos and InYour Ear to start. I'm sure some other dudes on here have a better hook up at those spots than I do, so they might be able to get you some better info on who to talk to about scoring the raer.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Yeah for record stores, go see Reid at In Your Ear. The one on Comm Ave it best. He has MAD 45s. The good ones are up front behind the counter. Just tell them you wanna see the funk/soul 45s.

Also has good LPs too.....reasonable prices.

-pj

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Thanks, fellas. I've actually been out and about in Boston before, so i'm familiar with the college kid scene. i was hoping that i would get lucky like i did in Vegas and come up on somebody's ill soul night or sump'm. i'll keep the saturday in mind, though. My wife went to school at BU so she's been scoping places out, but here club choosing game can be at times. so i'm opening my own investigation.

So, I just checked out who's playing at several of the venues mentioned above, and nothing good in terms of hip hop or soul. But I did notice on Saturday night at the Middle East:

Sat 4/28
    Guru???s Jazzmatazz[/b] ??? 18+ $20adv/$22dos CANCELLED[/b] - Refunds available at point of purchase

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe dude'll finally give it a rest.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe dude'll finally give it a rest.

or he'll have to stick to playing all the spots up in Beantown where n***as carry burners.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    if u like like roots/reggae check out mattmurphyspub.com.
    my man akira is performing friday, he's dope.

weekends are definetly hit or miss around here...especially during the school year.

on that tip the students are almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• im in europe til may 9th.....but the homie supreme 1 spins every other fri at middlesex, from group home to ashford and simpson...rare shit thrown in too.

boston is wack until the college kids leave.

boston is wack until the college kids leave.

i can dig it. Thanks for all the help, fellas. I'm probably just going to have to lower my expectations for one night. I've done it before. i'll see if that dude Supreme is playing, that's a solid lead.

on that tip the students are almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only to be replaced by tourists. "Look kids-that's historic!"