WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE BEES????????

2»

Comments

• and hemol, your last few posts are idiotic. but thank you for informing me that dissent is simply fashionable and that corn doesnt grow on trees. thanks for contributing.

gotta go back to work, but i'll check in tonight. peace

Chill 32. That was definitely a response to honkeyfipple's comments on farmers' corn plants dying every year.

i was trying to say what tripledouble said. farmers can't collect seeds from their old crop. and that's because there is a determination gene. a suicide gene.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    This sucks

bees are cool

honey is cool

fuck a wasp

I had a half gallon of mead explode in my pantry a few weeks back cuz I forgot to burp it. Mopping up honey water sucks. Girly made me move my opperation to the garage.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

and hemol, your last few posts are idiotic. but thank you for informing me that dissent is simply fashionable and that corn doesnt grow on trees. thanks for contributing.

Chill 32. That was definitely a response to honkeyfipple's comments on farmers' corn plants dying every year.

i was trying to say what tripledouble said. farmers can't collect seeds from their old crop. and that's because there is a determination gene. a suicide gene.

Cool. Clarified. I definitely thought that it was a bit odd to be concerned about corn plants that die every year.

• true, corn and other crops have been bred since humans were practicing agriculture. but we were crossing within same species and propagating best traits.

genetic engineering is doing unchartered DNA engineering across specie lines with mixed results. "Terminator" seeds are bred so that farmers cannot "Seed save" from one crop to use the following year. in effects, the starving third world that Non is so concerned about will be eternally dependant on corporations for their patented seeds, patented fertilizers, etc. Besides us not knowing the consequences of these GMO experiments, the economic dependence this fosters (to companies designed solely to make profit) is NOT A GOOD LOOK.

why do you think these countries refuse GMO donations and burn down GMO crops?
    Better/equitable distribution will reduce hunger, not more food controlled by corporations and fucked up governments.

and hemol, your last few posts are idiotic. but thank you for informing me that dissent is simply fashionable and that corn doesnt grow on trees. thanks for contributing.

Yes, I've known this for quite some time. Makes you feel kinda mad and powerless
    at the same time does it?
    How governments can condone these things. Disguisting...
    Sometimes I really feel the Islamies and their hatred against Bush and the west.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Sometimes I really feel the Islamies and their hatred against Bush and the west.

you forgot to post what size you wear

• You have to explain that one, I don't understand

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

but we were crossing within same species and propagating best traits.

What the "best traits" are is subject to opinion, and not based in genetics.

genetic engineering is doing unchartered DNA engineering across specie lines with mixed results. "Terminator" seeds are bred so that farmers cannot "Seed save" from one crop to use the following year. in effects, the starving third world that Non is so concerned about will be eternally dependant on corporations for their patented seeds, patented fertilizers, etc. Besides us not knowing the consequences of these GMO experiments, the economic dependence this fosters (to companies designed solely to make profit) is NOT A GOOD LOOK.

why do you think these countries refuse GMO donations and burn down GMO crops?
    Better/equitable distribution will reduce hunger, not more food controlled by corporations and fucked up governments.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, it is not the fault of "dangerous GMOs," it is the fault of dangerously evil corporate greed. Yellow rice has made some great real world moves in the 3rd World.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Non, we dont even know what is going to happen with the GMOs...what was the effect they had on some omnarch butterfly population? scientists do shit, usually with good intentions, but like in countless bad movies, when humans try playing god, shit has a tendency to backfire.

grope...soy, corn, cotton are heavily GMOd. if youre not getting organic, you are most likely eating a science experiment. and keep in mind that we arent necessariyl talking corn on the cob and tofu...soy and corn are the linchpins of the western diet: feed for cows, cheap cooking oils, sweeteners, ingredients for processed foods, etc. Not the "feed the people" type shit you may think. it ends up being a government subsidized, bioligically engineered engine behind junkfood and inexpensive factory meat.
    staggering environmental repercussions. (especially with interest in ethanol) amazon is getting torn down to plant huge fieelds of soy. american prarie doesnt exist anymore because it is a big cornfield. planting one crop of anything flies in the face of crop diversity (not to mention habitat) and is more vulnerable to get wiped out (like irish potato famine).

i am not a fan of industrial scale farming or genetically modified anything.

ALMOST FORGOT! these fuckass companies are PATENTING their little seeds. draw your own conclusions...but suffice to say, there have instigated some famous lawsuits.

• Gotta say that I've liked some of the perspectives in this thread.
    I feel that there is a jump the gun approach to a lot of the science and technology involved in agrocorps, but as they own the farms, or pass FDA requirements, or donate to poor countries, blah, blah, blah, they set new standards or rather the standards that the market will now bear. Unfortunately this involves mono-cropping, pesticides, and other non-traditional forms of practicing agriculture. It's Walmart and Olestra slight of hand, where the philosophy is why spend a buck when you can spend 10 cents. I just hope that don't end up with a North American Sahara. Oh and the bees thing, I didn't catch the whole episode of Coast to Coast with Art Bell, "Let's go the Wild Card line."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I keep hearing about how GMO are going to bring vacines to yams in Africa and drought resistant crops to poor people in Africa.

I've been following this from the start. This is the line they are feeding us. The reality is it's all about Monsanto putting a choakhold on the American farmer, destroying Mexican crops and generally doing all the worse things you could think they might be doing.

Yeah, I'll blame it on humans.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    This sucks

bees are cool

honey is cool

fuck a wasp

truer words never spoken

• While I agree with you wholeheartedly, it is not the fault of "dangerous GMOs," it is the fault of dangerously evil corporate greed. Yellow rice has made some great real world moves in the 3rd World.

not true. yellow rice is nothing but a joke.
    really, yellow rice is not helping people in asia... it doesn't work. the vitamin is being cooked and therefore destroyed. plus, you'd have to eat a lot of fat in order to absorb the provitamin in your intestinal. and the poor people don't eat that much fat. yellow rice is a big joke. whoever invented it is retarded and deserves a punch in the face. i bet the guys who worked on yellow rice got a lot of money for their absurd work from the UNO. clowns!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

"DAYS HAVE PASSED AND ALL THE...."

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, it is not the fault of "dangerous GMOs," it is the fault of dangerously evil corporate greed. Yellow rice has made some great real world moves in the 3rd World.

really, yellow rice is not helping people in asia... it doesn't work. the vitamin is being cooked and therefore destroyed. plus, you'd have to eat a lot of fat in order to absorb the provitamin in your intestinal. and the poor people don't eat that much fat. yellow rice is a big joke. whoever invented it is retarded and deserves a punch in the face. i bet the guys who worked on yellow rice got a lot of money for their absurd work from the UNO. clowns!!!

I have a few biology professors who would strongly disagree with you, especially a Goan professor who taught at my school.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    THE END IS NEAR

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    THE END IS NEAR

Philly Phill......it's funny you posted this.

I was just thinking today about one of my earliest childhood memories of being in NYC near Penn Station circa 1964-65 and seeing a guy with one of those sandwich boards that said in big letters....

REPENT: THE END IS NEAR

Scared the crap out of a 7 year old me.

He's now dead(or about 100 years old)

And the end may(or may not) be 40 years closer today than it was then.

Some things never change.

• While I agree with you wholeheartedly, it is not the fault of "dangerous GMOs," it is the fault of dangerously evil corporate greed. Yellow rice has made some great real world moves in the 3rd World.

I have a few biology professors who would strongly disagree with you, especially a Goan professor who taught at my school.

Mine agree with me

how could the provitamin a help the people? rice is being boiled for 20 minutes. and there's hardly any fat that is needed for the uptake. plus the rice is not growing normally. it has a defect. and there are already patents on it.

most of the countries growing golden rice now could easily change their nutrition naturally. yam, fruits, etc. nobody needs golden rice. farmers are getting lazy (why don't they tell them to grow other crops?) and dependent on the genetically manipulated rice plants. and the people are still stuck to their unfavorable habit of eating. it's not fair. send some botanists to asia and teach the farmers. no geneticists needed.

i have no idea what a goan professor is. i just know that most professors in the us are dependent on evil companies to finance their work
    no fight please.. it's just a joke. most students and teachers over here are joking about the bivalent situation of US professors.

Mine agree with me

how could the provitamin a help the people? rice is being boiled for 20 minutes. and there's hardly any fat that is needed for the uptake. plus the rice is not growing normally. it has a defect. and there are already patents on it.

most of the countries growing golden rice now could easily change their nutrition naturally. yam, fruits, etc. nobody needs golden rice. farmers are getting lazy (why don't they tell them to grow other crops?) and dependent on the genetically manipulated rice plants. and the people are still stuck to their unfavorable habit of eating. it's not fair. send some botanists to asia and teach the farmers. no geneticists needed.

i have no idea what a goan professor is. i just know that most professors in the us are dependent on evil companies to finance their work
    no fight please.. it's just a joke. most students and teachers over here are joking about the bivalent situation of US professors.

The Goan professor (from Goa, India) saw positive strides with the rice when he did health care work in India. It's a situation where they're going to get some vitamin A (albeit little from the cooking process) vs slim to none otherwise. He was of the cloth that every little bit counts.