WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE BEES????????

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
BELTSVILLE, Md., April 23 ??? What is happening to the bees?More than a quarter of the country's 2.4 million bee colonies have been lost -- tens of billions of bees, according to an estimate from the Apiary Inspectors of America, a national group that tracks beekeeping. So far, no one can say what is causing the bees to become disoriented and fail to return to their hives.As with any great mystery, a number of theories have been posed, and many seem to researchers to be more science fiction than science. People have blamed genetically modified crops, cellular phone towers and high-voltage transmission lines for the disappearances. Or was it a secret plot by Russia or Osama bin Laden to bring down American agriculture? Or, as some blogs have asserted, the rapture of the bees, in which God recalled them to heaven? Researchers have heard it all.The volume of theories "is totally mind-boggling," said Diana Cox-Foster, an entomologist at Pennsylvania State University. With Jeffrey S. Pettis, an entomologist from the United States Department of Agriculture, Dr. Cox-Foster is leading a team of researchers who are trying to find answers to explain "colony collapse disorder," the name given for the disappearing bee syndrome."Clearly there is an urgency to solve this," Dr. Cox-Foster said. "We are trying to move as quickly as we can."Dr. Cox-Foster and fellow scientists who are here at a two-day meeting to discuss early findings and future plans with government officials have been focusing on the most likely suspects: a virus, a fungus or a pesticide.About 60 researchers from North America sifted the possibilities at the meeting today. Some expressed concern about the speed at which adult bees are disappearing from their hives; some colonies have collapsed in as little as two days. Others noted that countries in Europe, as well as Guatemala and parts of Brazil, are also struggling for answers."There are losses around the world that may or not be linked," Dr. Pettis said.READ MORE ABOUT THIS CRAZY ASS SCHITT RIGHT HERE: http://reference.aol.com/article/_a/bees-vanish-and-scientists-race-for/20070425104909990002

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    on a related note...

http://www.chow.com/grinder/2677

also keep in mind, this will affect agriculture on an immense level. Many bee farmers rent out their bees to crop farmers for pollination.

ps: I love using honey for cooking.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    WE ARE ALL DOOMED

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

BELTSVILLE, Md., April 23 ??? What is happening to the bees?

More than a quarter of the country's 2.4 million bee colonies have been lost -- tens of billions of bees, according to an estimate from the Apiary Inspectors of America, a national group that tracks beekeeping. So far, no one can say what is causing the bees to become disoriented and fail to return to their hives.

As with any great mystery, a number of theories have been posed, and many seem to researchers to be more science fiction than science. People have blamed genetically modified crops, cellular phone towers and high-voltage transmission lines for the disappearances. Or was it a secret plot by Russia or Osama bin Laden to bring down American agriculture? Or, as some blogs have asserted, the rapture of the bees, in which God recalled them to heaven? Researchers have heard it all.

The volume of theories "is totally mind-boggling," said Diana Cox-Foster, an entomologist at Pennsylvania State University. With Jeffrey S. Pettis, an entomologist from the United States Department of Agriculture, Dr. Cox-Foster is leading a team of researchers who are trying to find answers to explain "colony collapse disorder," the name given for the disappearing bee syndrome.

"Clearly there is an urgency to solve this," Dr. Cox-Foster said. "We are trying to move as quickly as we can."

Dr. Cox-Foster and fellow scientists who are here at a two-day meeting to discuss early findings and future plans with government officials have been focusing on the most likely suspects: a virus, a fungus or a pesticide.

About 60 researchers from North America sifted the possibilities at the meeting today. Some expressed concern about the speed at which adult bees are disappearing from their hives; some colonies have collapsed in as little as two days. Others noted that countries in Europe, as well as Guatemala and parts of Brazil, are also struggling for answers.

"There are losses around the world that may or not be linked," Dr. Pettis said.

READ MORE ABOUT THIS CRAZY ASS SCHITT RIGHT HERE: http://reference.aol.com/article/_a/bees-vanish-and-scientists-race-for/20070425104909990002

Researchers are not finding dead bees. Most likely if the culprit was a virus, fungus or pesticide they would be finding dead bees.

Instead what they are finding are hives where all but the queen and some immature bees are living. This suggests that the other bees have left or failed to return. This suggests some kind of disturbance such as the cell phone theory. I would love the cause to be geneticaly engineered crops, but I am betting on cell towers.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there's a nice entry about it on wiki in regards to cellular disturbances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_Disorder

Electromagnetic radiation

Further information: Mobile phone radiation and health

In April 2007, news of a University of Landau study appeared in major media beginning with a red herring from The Independent, that stated that the subject of the study was "mobile phones" and had related them to CCD[36]. Cellular phones were in fact not covered in the study, and the researchers have since emphatically disavowed any connection between their research, cellphones, and CCD, specifically indicating the The Independent article had misinterpreted their results and created "a horror story"[37][38][39].

The 2006 University of Landau pilot study was looking for non-thermal effects of RF on honey bees (Apis mellifera carnica) and suggested that when bee hives have DECT cordless phone base stations embedded in them, the close-range EMF emissions may reduce the ability of bees to return to their hive; they also noticed a slight reduction in honeycomb weight in treated colonies. [40] In the course of their study, one half of their colonies broke down, including some of their controls which did not have DECT base stations embedded in them.

The team's 2004 exploratory study on non-thermal effects on learning did not find any change in behavior due to RF exposure from the DECT base station operating at 1880-1900 MHz.[41]

Many possible biological effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields have been postulated but it is generally accepted that the most significant effects are thermal.[42]. The amount of RF radiation routinely encountered by the general public is too low to produce significant heating or increased body temperature.[43]

At present the link of either cordless or cellular phones to CCD is entirely speculative, and no research has been done to suggest or demonstrate such a link between the two phenomena. Regardless, such an explanation is not compatible with the historical and present patterns of CCD appearance, which have been intermittent and sudden.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i am stock piling honey.

RAER BUSY BEE DEADSTOCK GOLD.

• Phill Clark--you get my email? Maybe I should've sent you a bee-mail....

• they talked about this last week on real time with bill maher. No bees = no trees = no people. It's actually a pretty serious issue.

they talked about this last week on real time with bill maher. No bees = no trees = no people. It's actually a pretty serious issue.

WE ARE ALL DOOMED

Phill Clark--you get my email? Maybe I should've sent you a bee-mail....

who, me?

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

also keep in mind, this will affect agriculture on an immense level. Many bee farmers rent out their bees to crop farmers for pollination.

how do they 'rent' their bees out? do the bees come back to the bee farmers?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

how do they 'rent' their bees out? do the bees come back to the bee farmers?

They return to their hives. They live in tightly knit colonies. You bring the hive out, let em go about their business. When they're done, take em away.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i think einstein noted that, if bees were ever to go extinct, the human race would surely follow soon afterwards.

ive been biting my nails about this one for a while now. bees are crucial. i actually plan to raise bees on the roof of my house when it gets finished up, but who knows if that would be possible. theres a dude in west phily (and he is REALLY the motherfuckin dude) who trains people to keep bees if they commit to reading a short book about it.

just another repercussion to the out of control human race. we do too much shit that we really don't know about at all. thank you, scientists (for making life so comfortable and ushering in the apocalypse)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This suggests some kind of disturbance such as the cell phone theory. I would love the cause to be geneticaly engineered crops, but I am betting on cell towers.

Why is it that humans WANT to blame other humans for all the world's problems?

Not only is there some history attached to this Bee phenomenom, the two above "human causes" have been virtually ruled out.

Am I the only one who thinks it's very strange that someone would "love the cause to be geneticaly engineered crops"......as if our self created demise might justify some "I told you so" ish.

Don't worry....if it proves to be fungus and/or mites I'm sure some nut will come up with a reason why the problem was "Man-Made".

__________________________________________________________________________________
    CHICAGO - 6:30AM 4/26/07
    A fungus that caused widespread loss of honeybee colonies in Europe and Asia may be playing a crucial role in the phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder [/b] that is wiping out bees across the United States, researchers in California said Wednesday.

The new findings represent the first solid evidence pointing to a potential cause of the disorder.
    Other researchers said Wednesday that they, too, had found the fungus, a single-celled parasite called Nosema ceranae, in affected hives from around the country -- as well as in some hives that have survived. Those researchers also have found two other fungi and a half-dozen viruses in the dead bees.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    HONOLULU ??? A tiny mite that has devastated mainland honeybee populations showed up in Honolulu hives for the first time this month and has now been confirmed in bee colonies across Oahu.

The infestation by varroa mites has led the state to ask beekeepers to restrict transport of bees around the islands. There are concerns it could threaten the Big Island's thriving queen bee export industry, which has so far tested free of the mites.

"This is going to be for us a nightmare," said Michael Kliks, head of the Hawaii Beekeepers' Association and owner of Manoa Honey Co. "When I saw that mite I knew exactly what it was. I knew exactly what it meant and I fell to my knees and almost began to weep because it's inexpressible what that sea change is for us in Hawaii."

The parasites are blamed for destroying more than half of some mainland beekeepers' hives and wiping out most wild honeybees there.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    This suggests some kind of disturbance such as the cell phone theory. I would love the cause to be geneticaly engineered crops, but I am betting on cell towers.

Why is it that humans WANT to blame other humans for all the world's problems?

Not only is there some history attached to this Bee phenomenom, the two above "human causes" have been virtually ruled out.

Am I the only one who thinks it's very strange that someone would "love the cause to be geneticaly engineered crops"......as if our self created demise might justify some "I told you so" ish.

Don't worry....it it proves to be fungus and/or mites I'm sure some nut will come up with a reason why the problem was "Man-Made".

CHICAGO - 6:30AM 4/26/07
    A fungus that caused widespread loss of honeybee colonies in Europe and Asia may be playing a crucial role in the phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder [/b] that is wiping out bees across the United States, researchers in California said Wednesday.

The new findings represent the first solid evidence pointing to a potential cause of the disorder.
    Other researchers said Wednesday that they, too, had found the fungus, a single-celled parasite called Nosema ceranae, in affected hives from around the country -- as well as in some hives that have survived. Those researchers also have found two other fungi and a half-dozen viruses in the dead bees.

HONOLULU ??? A tiny mite that has devastated mainland honeybee populations showed up in Honolulu hives for the first time this month and has now been confirmed in bee colonies across Oahu.

The infestation by varroa mites has led the state to ask beekeepers to restrict transport of bees around the islands. There are concerns it could threaten the Big Island's thriving queen bee export industry, which has so far tested free of the mites.

"This is going to be for us a nightmare," said Michael Kliks, head of the Hawaii Beekeepers' Association and owner of Manoa Honey Co. "When I saw that mite I knew exactly what it was. I knew exactly what it meant and I fell to my knees and almost began to weep because it's inexpressible what that sea change is for us in Hawaii."

The parasites are blamed for destroying more than half of some mainland beekeepers' hives and wiping out most wild honeybees there.

Heads need to quit smoking that and take a hit of some reality.

Don't believe any doomsday hype. Do you really think it could get much more difficult than caveman steez? We're good at surviving. For all we know bees are beginning to live underground, or beginning to turn invisible. It seems foolish to jump to conclusions when we have such limited data, although that is basically the weather of science.

Plants are pollenated by means that don't necessarily include bees. But bees are probably the main pollenators.

NPR ran a story on this about two years ago, and they were talking about government funded/subsidized bee farms.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Also, Global-warming :5pager: countdown...

For all we know bees are beginning to live underground, or beginning to turn invisible.

umm, thanks for the thought. it never occurred to me. in general, your quote doesnt make a hell of a lot of sense...even on the level of water cooler chatter.

yeah i was being a little jokingly apocalyptic, but this bee thing is pretty serious. i'd imagine that the republicans and tom delay are behind the whole thing.

what happened to the banana situation? i remember hearing about a widespread collapse of heavily monocropped breeds of nanas.

we are making it much easier for asian mites and funguses or whatever to spread quickly across the world. one downside of globalization.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

umm, thanks for the thought. it never occurred to me. in general, your quote doesnt make a hell of a lot of sense...even on the level of water cooler chatter.

yeah i was being a little jokingly apocalyptic, but this bee thing is pretty serious. i'd imagine that the republicans and tom delay are behind the whole thing.

what happened to the banana situation? i remember hearing about a widespread collapse of heavily monocropped breeds of nanas.

we are making it much easier for asian mites and funguses or whatever to spread quickly across the world. one downside of globalization.

I'm just trying to relay th fact that our evidence consists of a very slim portion of reality. Science is quite myopic. We take a slim amount of information, and apply it in a broad context, and wind up with wack facts. It seems that there is evidence of insufficient data gathering more than anything else. Unfortunately no answers is interpreted as bad news, rather than bad questioning.

As far as globalization's effects on the spread of fungus and mites its only a downside if we suffer from it. Its an upswing for the mites and funguses.

Science is quite myopic.

• thank you, scientists (for making life so comfortable and ushering in the apocalypse)

If anyone's gonna save us from the environmental mess, it will be the scientists.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    thank you, scientists (for making life so comfortable and ushering in the apocalypse)

If anyone's gonna save us from the environmental mess, it will be the scientists.

Or the bees.

• america rules!!!

american scientists just published a paper on the danger of pregnant women eating too many american beef steaks. the cattle is being fed with growth hormones and those hormones will affect the babies potency.

the genetically manipulated corn is also worrying me. the people producing manipulated corn are EVIL. did you know that the corn is determined to die? farmers HAVE to buy new seeds each year. it's crazy!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    america rules!!!

american scientists just published a paper on the danger of pregnant women eating too many american beef steaks. the cattle is being fed with growth hormones and those hormones will affect the babies potency.

the genetically manipulated corn is also worrying me. the people producing manipulated corn are EVIL. did you know that the corn is determined to die? farmers HAVE to buy new seeds each year. it's crazy!

Humans have been genetically manipulating/engineering corn for thousand(s) of years before the advent of modern science. The original plant modified for years to make corn was originally the size of half your pinky finger. Now, large. The scare tactics of GMOs are not helpful to people starving around the world and in need of heartier crops.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    america rules!!!

Humans have been genetically manipulating/engineering corn for thousand(s) of years before the advent of modern science. The original plant modified for years to make corn was originally the size of half your pinky finger. Now, large. The scare tactics of GMOs are not helpful to people starving around the world and in need of heartier crops.
    Dissent is simply fashionable, like all-over print.

I'm pretty sure that the corn dies every year any way. It doesn't grow on tress, it grows on stalks.

true, corn and other crops have been bred since humans were practicing agriculture. but we were crossing within same species and propagating best traits.

genetic engineering is doing unchartered DNA engineering across specie lines with mixed results. "Terminator" seeds are bred so that farmers cannot "Seed save" from one crop to use the following year. in effects, the starving third world that Non is so concerned about will be eternally dependant on corporations for their patented seeds, patented fertilizers, etc. Besides us not knowing the consequences of these GMO experiments, the economic dependence this fosters (to companies designed solely to make profit) is NOT A GOOD LOOK.

why do you think these countries refuse GMO donations and burn down GMO crops?
    Better/equitable distribution will reduce hunger, not more food controlled by corporations and fucked up governments.

and hemol, your last few posts are idiotic. but thank you for informing me that dissent is simply fashionable and that corn doesnt grow on trees. thanks for contributing.

gotta go back to work, but i'll check in tonight. peace

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    was i the only one that saw them all head for the moon?... or have y'all not seen that wu-tang video??

• dayday 9,611 Posts

true, corn and other crops have been bred since humans were practicing agriculture. but we were crossing within same species and propagating best traits.

genetic engineering is doing unchartered DNA engineering across specie lines with mixed results. "Terminator" seeds are bred so that farmers cannot "Seed save" from one crop to use the following year. in effects, the starving third world that Non is so concerned about will be eternally dependant on corporations for their patented seeds, patented fertilizers, etc. Besides us not knowing the consequences of these GMO experiments, the economic dependence this fosters (to companies designed solely to make profit) is NOT A GOOD LOOK.

Better/equitable distribution will reduce hunger, not more food controlled by corporations and fucked up governments.

and hemol, your last few posts are idiotic. but thank you for informing me that dissent is simply fashionable and that corn doesnt grow on trees. thanks for contributing.

Tony, thank you for that knowledge jewel. It paints a pretty grim picture.

Hemol, are you a farmer?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Chill 32. That was definitely a response to honkeyfipple's comments on farmers' corn plants dying every year.

• america rules!!!

nah. it's something different. the original plant was modified, but not in an approach that modern scientists chose. it wasn't as bad as nowadays.

starving people all over the world? son, we have enough food. it's not a matter of plant size. suppliance is the issue!

you're a biologist, right?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    thank you, scientists (for making life so comfortable and ushering in the apocalypse)

Or the bees.

It can't be the bees. They masterminded 9/11. I am currently working on a Flash movie that will totally prove it.

• true, corn and other crops have been bred since humans were practicing agriculture. but we were crossing within same species and propagating best traits.

i though the_non was a biologist... but it might have been you. i'm confused.

i agree with you. great post. thanks.

one of the biggest problems with genetically modified crops is that they will mix with natural crops. so most big fields with modified corn will endanger fields with natural corn.

did you know that most tofu is heavily genetically modified?
    shoking news to most vegetarian, health-food concerned people.

heck, 50% of all the food we eat is genetically engineered. although it's not really necessary.