Software-Strut, Powerpoint-R

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I know how to insert a sound file or movie into a PP presentation but is there a way to embed it so that, when you save the PP file, everything is self-contained? The way I do it now, when it saves, all it does is remember where the file is located but it can't actually save the sound file as part of the larger PP file. Is that even possible?

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I believe .WAV files can be embedded. The default file size limit is 100kb but it can be increased to like 50MB.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I don't think it's possible- sound files in PP have always been linked when I've used them, and the link can't be longer than 128 characters. If you've got webspace, try hosting the file, that way, it would link to a web address instead of a file it presumes will be on the hard drive... (i assume you're creating and playing the presentation on different computers, which creates the linking problem in the first place.) I've personally never done it, but it seems like it should work. Key word with office software is "seems".

Here's the info that Office has on sound files in PP, the bold at the bottom might help:

Add music, songs, or sound effects to a slide show
    Show All
    Hide All
    You can add music, songs, or sound effects that play:

Automatically when you display a particular slide.
    When you click the sound icon on a particular slide.
    Over one or multiple slides.
    For more background information before you work with music, songs, or sound, see About music and sounds.

Add, music, songs, or sound effects

Display the slide to which you want to add music or sound effects.
    On the Insert menu, point to Movies and Sounds, and then do one of the following:
    Insert a sound file

Click Sound from File, locate the folder that contains the file that you want, and then double-click the file.
    Insert a sound clip from Clip Organizer

Click Sound from Clip Organizer, scroll to find the clip that you want, and then click it to add it to the slide.
    Note To search for clips in the Clip Organizer, fill in the Search for box, and then click Go. To get more information about finding the clip that you want, including details about finding files by using wildcard characters and about adding your own clips to the Clip Organizer, click Tips for finding clips at the bottom of the task pane.

Double-click the sound file that you want to insert.
    When a message is displayed, do one of the following:
    To play the music or sound automatically when you go to the slide, click Automatically.
    To play the music or sound only when you click the sound icon , click When Clicked.
    To adjust the settings for when the sound file stops, click the sound icon , right-click, and then click Custom Animation.
    In the Custom Animation task pane, click the arrow on the selected item in the Custom Animation list, and then click Effect Options.
    On the Effect tab, under Stop playing, do one of the following:
    To stop the sound file on mouse-click of this slide, select On click (the default).
    To stop the sound file after this slide, select After current slide.
    To keep the sound file playing for several slides, select After, and then set the total number of slides the file should play on.
    Tips

If the length of the sound file isn't long enough for continuous play on a slide, click the sound icon , right-click, click Edit Sound Object, and then, in the Sound Options dialog box, select the Loop until stopped check box to repeat the sound continuously.

You can also add music to a presentation by playing a CD. Music that is played from a CD is not added to the slide. To create settings for the CD, on the Insert menu, point to Movies and Sounds, and then click Play CD Audio Track.

To make the sound icon invisible in a slide show, select the Hide sound icon during slide show check box in the Edit Sound Object dialog box. Use this option only if you set the sound to play automatically, or if you create some other kind of control, such as an action button, to click to play the sound. Note that the sound icon is always visible in normal view.
    If the path name of a linked file exceeds 128 characters, Microsoft Office PowerPoint is not able to find and play that linked file. In such a case, you can either rename the linked file, or shorten the path name by copying the linked file into the folder where your presentation is located. Then either update links automatically by using the Package for CD feature, or update them manually by removing the sounds from the presentation and then adding them again. [/b]

Maybe you can't "embed" it, but you would be able to link the file in the same folder as your presentation, then copying the entire folder onto a flash drive or whatever would make sense. Love me some Office... so intuitive!

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I believe .WAV files can be embedded. The default file size limit is 100kb but it can be increased to like 50MB.

This is right - you can change the default size in tools/options/general to 50MB. You can also embed MP3s, but you must first add a header file to fool PowerPoint into thinking the MP3 is a WAV. (Easiest way to do it is using some freeware program like CDex.)

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Spanky,
    As I recall, you're on a mac, so this may not be helpful to you. I thought I would share anyway though...
    In MS Office 2003 on my PC there's an option to 'package to folder' that is found in the 'package to cd' box. Here you can package your powerpoint and embedded files to a folder. It's a pretty easy and safe way to transfer powerpoints with all files (including truetype fonts, which is nice). My macbook's powerpoint version didn't have that option though- unless I missed it somewhere.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mint,

It's under one of the "save as" options.

Thanks!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i hate powerpoint

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    *hijack alert*

anyone keynote savvy?

ive been opening my profs class lectures in keynote instead of powerpoint, and im feeling the sleekness of the program. i do not work in an office, nor do i give lectures, so i'm not well versed. but just curious if anyone's fug'd with it.

fyi: keynote is apple's take on powerpoint

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I use keynote to give presentations, it is very easy to use.