Russell Simmons wants to remove offensive words

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/music_nm/usa_hiphop_dc

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Im so down for it...couldnt wait. Paul Mooney started a trend like that on the West Coast after the Kramer incident. If that can solve the problem of people using curse words because of rap, then it's good, because i'm tired to hear about people cussing and can't take the blame for it.

• Im so down for it...couldnt wait. Paul Mooney started a trend like that on the West Coast after the Kramer incident. If that can solve the problem of people using curse words because of rap, then it's good, because i'm tired to hear about people cussing and can't take the blame for it.

Dude, this is just a shameless PR move on his part - probably in conjunction with the promotion of his new book, which looks fucking terrible.

Don't get me wrong, Simmons contributed greatly to the evolution of hip hop culture, but now it seems he's sitting a bit too high in the saddle.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Im so down for it...couldnt wait. Paul Mooney started a trend like that on the West Coast after the Kramer incident.

So after Kramer got slammed Paul Mooney decided he didn't want to say "nigga" anymore? I mean how many times in the following 1:24 piece from the Chappelle show does he say it? I realize this bit was well before the Kramer incident. I guess people change but that seemed to be a part of this humor.

Dude, PR move or not, everything is PR to me right now...
    Then, like i said, whatever it takes to make people STOP callin' each other nigga when they lack melanin, then i'm happy. Anything that makes people stop calling black woman "bitches", i'm happy about it too. I know it's an utopia to thin it's gonna happen like that. But it's a start. People ned to start somewhre. And like xxx said, if just one dude stop usingthose two words constantly (like more than 200 times a day), then it's ok. I'd rather hear about that than nothing...It's going nowhere right now. The issue needs to be addressed. And FYI, i hat Russell since 98. I made a shirt with it. After Def Comedy Jam, Russell wasn't Russell anymore...

i know it sounds crazy...but people tend to FORGET why Chapelle stops his show, why he left, etc...Mooney and Chappelle was and still are close friend. So i guess the wake-up call came after th second season. It was late. Granted, better late than never. I mentionned Mooney for a reason...Dude is a Black Panther. He got knowledge about the subject. He lived th Pryor era. The word Nigga have NO secret for him. He's old, closer to death...so i will follow his lead and trust him more than lil wayne when he said that in 2007, it's better to stop.

• Does Russel wanna run for Prez or sumthin??

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    if people don't understand the contextual difference between Imus calling them rutgers women hos and Snoop writing songs about hos then we have a bigger problem than fucking word usage.

He can't...He stutters too much.

HUGE

then we have a bigger problem

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    fuck russel simmons, what a pussy

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    izm is next level

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    if people don't understand the contextual difference between Imus calling them rutgers women hos and Snoop writing songs about hos then we have a bigger problem than fucking word usage.

I'll go ahead and play the fool then. I don't really see the difference in the two people using it other than for some reason its more accepted for snoop to do so. I'm assuming that perhaps the fact that snoop is black allows him the ability to insult women by calling them ho's, but if that is the case he really isn't doing anything but strengthening the idea that some folks are just going to be to get away with ignorance while others just won't.

and even if thats not the case I still don't see why one man gets to refer to women as ho's and gets knocked while another does it with public acceptance. At some point the difference between people needs to be put in check and the words they use to describe people need to be examined a little more carefully

BTW, its been a while. I'm glad you like the LP I sent

Certain things belongs to certain people, like Jewish humour for example. It belong to Seinfeld. If Chris Rock was doing it, it wouldnt be funny, and it would even be disrespectful. Reverse what i said, take Black humour, remove Seinfeld and put Cedric, remove Chris Rock and put a random Jewish comedy act. And you will maybe understand...my point.

And as you will notice, in your way of thinking, Blacks are wrong (to point finger on Imus) and Whites are right (to wonder why they can't use that word). In my way of thinking, both are right. It's a PR move. But i like that...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Some of the parts are missing...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/music_nm/usa_hiphop_dc

I think artists would be doing themselves and the rest of us a big favor if they used these (and other offensive) words more judiciously.

In soul music singers bared their souls. They sang with emotion about real life love and heartbreak.

Which rappers are setting aside their macho image to share true emotions?

I'll go ahead and play the fool then. I don't really see the difference in the two people using it other than for some reason its more accepted for snoop to do so.

In that case you have a bigger problem than fucking word usage.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

LL "I Need Love" Cool J

Biz, "I Need A Haircut".

Even Wayne, "I Kiss My Daddy"...

LL "I Need Love" Cool J

I like that cut. Maybe I should start a different thread for this question.

Biz, "I Need A Haircut".

Even Wayne, "I Kiss My Daddy"...

Good call on the Biz.

Never heard Wayne.

yes you did, i'm talking about Lil Wayne in his soon-to-be-a-hit-but-not-recorded-yet song "i kiss my daddy". The last DJ Khaled freestyle he did inspired me that...

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    yay! now we can hear "politically correct" songs about slanging crack...

yay! now we can hear "politically correct" songs about slanging crack...

If an artist can't get in touch with their emotions... then they are not much of an artist.

If some one is telling a story about slanging crack and all the girls and cars it gets them and how they are 10 feet tall, I call BS. I want to hear how does slanging crack make you feel when you are done using the girls and you turn off the lights and lay down in bed. Most crack dealers can't express, or even acknowledge those emotions. That is what makes them crack dealers (or make believe crack dealers) and not artists.

I don't think there is anything PC about that. I agree that many fools in the general public would rather hear some macho boasting than real art.

• souldropsouldrop 40 Posts
    SO RIGHT ON!!! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!

anybody read jason whitlock?

The Kansas City Star

Posted on Wed, Apr. 11, 2007

Imus isn???t the real bad guy
    Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.
    By JASON WHITLOCK

Columnist

The Kansas City Star

Thank you, Don Imus. You???ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You???ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You???ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it???s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we???re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I???m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent???s or Snoop Dogg???s or Young Jeezy???s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain???t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don???t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It???s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I???m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn???t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should???ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it???s only the beginning. It???s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we???re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers??? wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don???t listen or watch Imus??? show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it???s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they???re suckers for pursuing education and that they???re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I???ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is ??? a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you???re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There???s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

To reach Jason Whitlock, call (816) 234-4869 or send e-mail to [email]jwhitlock@kcstar.com.[/email]

• I want to hear how does slanging crack make you feel when you are done using the girls and you turn off the lights and lay down in bed. Most crack dealers can't express, or even acknowledge those emotions. That is what makes them crack dealers (or make believe crack dealers) and not artists.

Dan, you really need to hear UGK's 1996 album "Ridin' Dirty." It has lots of what you just described.

It also has a lot of material about girls and cars (including girls that wanna fuck their cars, figuratively speaking). In short, it has everything.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I want to hear how does slanging crack make you feel when you are done using the girls and you turn off the lights and lay down in bed. Most crack dealers can't express, or even acknowledge those emotions. That is what makes them crack dealers (or make believe crack dealers) and not artists.

Dan, you really need to hear UGK's 1996 album "Ridin' Dirty." It has lots of what you just described.

It also has a lot of material about girls and cars (including girls that wanna fuck their cars, figuratively speaking). In short, it has everything.

...including Isleys and Meters.

I want to hear how does slanging crack make you feel when you are done using the girls and you turn off the lights and lay down in bed. Most crack dealers can't express, or even acknowledge those emotions. That is what makes them crack dealers (or make believe crack dealers) and not artists.

I wanta hear it. I'm gonna spend the next week listening to rap. I've got nothing against girls and cars, I just need more.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

PAUL MOONEY FOR PRESIDENT

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    anybody read jason whitlock?

Dude.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The Kansas City Star

Posted on Wed, Apr. 11, 2007

Imus isn???t the real bad guy
    Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.
    By JASON WHITLOCK

Columnist

The Kansas City Star

Thank you, Don Imus. You???ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You???ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You???ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it???s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we???re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I???m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent???s or Snoop Dogg???s or Young Jeezy???s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain???t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don???t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It???s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I???m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn???t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should???ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it???s only the beginning. It???s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we???re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers??? wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don???t listen or watch Imus??? show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it???s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they???re suckers for pursuing education and that they???re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I???ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is ??? a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you???re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There???s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

says everything I wanted to say, but better than I could